[1.12.x] SXT Continued

linuxgurugamer

13 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Even with the latest SXt version I get an error with MM 3.01.

CLS_Aviation.cfg seems to produce a problem. It seems that "NEEDS" in MM patches causes a lot of problems me using MM 3.01. SXT related errors reduced a lot after downloading the latest version.

Log file, please. Or, in this case, at least a complete list of mods

also, before you do, please delete the entire directory and install it again, i want to be sure there arent any leftover files

Edited by linuxgurugamer

13 hours ago, New Horizons said:

Even with the latest SXt version I get an error with MM 3.01.

CLS_Aviation.cfg seems to produce a problem. It seems that "NEEDS" in MM patches causes a lot of problems me using MM 3.01. SXT related errors reduced a lot after downloading the latest version.

Ok, I found a number of others, there will be an update in a few minutes

I thought that MM would report errors even if a NEEDED mod wasn't around, apparently I was wrong

New release, 0.3.20

• Fixed all (hopefully) patches for the updated ModuleManager

Follow up to the previous post, I would like feedback from other Tweakscale users. Here's a list of changes and fixes I'm proposing to the tweakscale patch:

• Removed Osaul cockpit duplicates, corrected defaultscale on the Osaul radial (aka Yavka) parts to 3.75 m.
  • SXTWingSmall and -Large are covered by SXTWing*, removed those two.
  • Switched wings and elevons to free_square, same as stock wings. (So default scale is 100% and mass changes more reasonably.)
  • Replaced other type=surface scaletypes with more appropriate ones.
  • Switched air intakes from stack to stack_squared (or free_squared) to be in line with stock intakes (reasoning being they are supposedly mostly hollow parts).
  • Removed [SXTInlineAirIntake] duplicate.

Here's the pull request itself with the changed file: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/SXTContinued/pull/42

The main element here is the changing of surface scaletypes to more appropriate ones. Surface doesn't work well after defaultScale=1.25 was added to these parts because the scaleFactors (the values the interface snaps to) are 0.1,  0.5, 1, 2 and 4. Instead of surface, I used stack, stack_square, free and free_square, based on equivalent stock parts.

This may result in some crafts breaking a little (scaling going wonky and/or mass changing a bit). Mostly these were airplane parts, some rcs thrusters and smallish odds and ends, so I don't think anyone's space station is going to explode. :)

Hello,

I, too, see a few things which I believe are wrong... in no particular order:

• the large wings have CoM / CoL in the wrong place (very near the forward tip)
  • nukes have CoM near the attachement node (should be somewhere in the reactor casing)
  • 2.5m LF-only tanks hold little fuel for their volume
  • several cockpits have a lifting surface even if they don't look at all lift-y

Now, while I think all of these are obviously in need of adjustment, I'd like to probe the waters first. After all, any change will break backwards compatibility. Would patches be accepted?

7 hours ago, Laie said:

Hello,

I, too, see a few things which I believe are wrong... in no particular order:

• the large wings have CoM / CoL in the wrong place (very near the forward tip)
  • nukes have CoM near the attachement node (should be somewhere in the reactor casing)
  • 2.5m LF-only tanks hold little fuel for their volume
  • several cockpits have a lifting surface even if they don't look at all lift-y

Now, while I think all of these are obviously in need of adjustment, I'd like to probe the waters first. After all, any change will break backwards compatibility. Would patches be accepted?

Patches which fix obvious bugs are always welcome.  The Tweakscale patch mentioned above is not absolutely necessary.

Do the tank volumes in a separate PR please, I did a lot of work with that in KWRocketry, and have a spreadsheet which I can use to get the correct volumes.  

I always wanted to say this: wouldn't it be just swell if we can take the Clyde cockpit and split it into two "cockpit" and "fuselage" parts, instead of combining it all into a one-trick-pony that you can't do much with?

Edited by Matuchkin

On 12/21/2017 at 6:21 PM, Matuchkin said:

I always wanted to say this: wouldn't it be just swell if we can take the Clyde cockpit and split it into two "cockpit" and "fuselage" parts, instead of combining it all into a one-trick-pony that you can't do much with?

Yes, it would be.

Do you want to do the work?

On 11/13/2017 at 3:06 PM, DeadMazay2000 said:

Very nice mod, but Agamemnon Nuclear Ramjet Engine doesn't work...  I hope you'll fix it)))

[...]

I mean when i start the engine, it give's the flameout. I putted fuel and airintakes, but it give's the flameout.

Oh, now I see it... the Agamemnon is supposed to be a proper ramjet (cf. wikipedia) and has to move in order to work, the faster the better. Stationary thrust is *zero*, by design. Use boosters or auxiliary engines to bring it up to speed first.

Prepare to be underwhelmed: the 300kN figure isn't "stationary thrust" as it says in the part stats, but theoretical peak output when moving mach 2.75 at sea level. Going slower, or higher, will reduce thrust. In almost any situation the Agamemnon will provide considerably less thrust than a humble Whiplash. Then again, it doesn't use any fuel, ever.

It's only really good for one purpose, namely, supersonic cruising at comparatively low altitudes. You first have to attain supersonic airspeeds by other means, though, and may never slow down.

42 minutes ago, Matuchkin said:

I have no qualification, experience, or time. You have said experience, and you decided to support a mod on that behalf. Are you sure you really want to maintain this mod?

I support over 110 mods.  I always accept help, and when some makes a suggestion like yours, I see no problem in asking them if they can/want to write it.

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to use the mod.  There is no reason to be insulting just because I asked you if you could do it.  A simple “no” would have sufficed.

I'm not a 3D modeler, and I have stated that many times.  I'm maintaining this mod, keeping it working, mainly by keeping the configs up-to-date, but changes to 3D models need someone else to do the work.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 24/12/2017 at 12:25 PM, Laie said:

Oh, now I see it... the Agamemnon is supposed to be a proper ramjet (cf. wikipedia) and has to move in order to work, the faster the better. Stationary thrust is *zero*, by design. Use boosters or auxiliary engines to bring it up to speed first.

Prepare to be underwhelmed: the 300kN figure isn't "stationary thrust" as it says in the part stats, but theoretical peak output when moving mach 2.75 at sea level. Going slower, or higher, will reduce thrust. In almost any situation the Agamemnon will provide considerably less thrust than a humble Whiplash. Then again, it doesn't use any fuel, ever.

It's only really good for one purpose, namely, supersonic cruising at comparatively low altitudes. You first have to attain supersonic airspeeds by other means, though, and may never slow down.

THANKS MAN!!

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:23 AM, Matuchkin said:

I have no qualification, experience, or time. You have said experience, and you decided to support a mod on that behalf. Are you sure you really want to maintain this mod? Because it seems as if you have zero interest in it.

This has got to be the most ignorant thing I have seen in quite a while on the forums.  Do you realize just how many mods he has taken and revived from obsolescence and obscurity?  Do you realized he does this FOR FREE - and in his own spare time? 

Look, Just because a mod maintainer doesn't have time to execute your wish on a whim doesn't mean you can demean him and his efforts or accuse him of disinterest.  He has an interest, that's why this whole thing is here!  What he has no interest in doing is executing special requests by snowflakes who can't see past the end of their grabby little hands who demand others must satisfy personal demands without regard to the cost of the author in free time and effort.  Want to see what that kind of jerk looks like?  Go take a selfie. 

You owe him an apology, a public one.  You really anger me with this kind of mean-spirited trash.  I've seen mods abandoned because of jerks like you. Its selfish ******s like you who drive mod authors out of doing mods.

FYI @linuxgurugamer, I was doing some cleanup ti make sure my MM patches hadn't screwed anything up, and I found a lot of issues with SXT configs for one specific setting. It looked like a lot of them had no TechRequired node assigned.  Basically homeless parts.

So I ran this MM script to gather them all up in an empty node (exoticRadiators), 

@PART[*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]:Final
{
    TechRequired = exoticRadiators
}

and then checked the MM cache and this is what I found:

name = .... Title = 
SXTKe90TurboJet J-90 "Goliath" Turbofan Engine
SXTmk3CargoBayRamp Mk3 Cargo Ramp
SXTSmallFuselage Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage
LMkIIAircaftFus Large Aircraft Fuselage
LMkIIAircaftFusLong Large Aircraft Passenger Cabin
SXTmk2225degree 22.5-DEG Tilted connector
SXT-TMA1 Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1
SXTAJ10Mid LV-10-37-Mid "Rearguard 2" Liquid Fuel Engine
SXTBalloon XC-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank
SXTBalloonGold XC-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank [Gold]
SXTBalloonGoldB XC-32 Light Fuel Tank
SXTMTVGirder XC-MTV Structural Super Structure.
SXTMTVGirderBasic XC-MTV Open Four-way
SXTMTVGirderOpen XC-MTV Partial Super Structure
SXTMTVGirderOpenSmall XC-MTV Partial Super Structure (Short)
SXTBalloon375 OX-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank
SXTBalloonGoldB375 XX-32 Light Fuel Tank (Gold)
LSmallSvcMod PPD-SM250 Service Module
SXTPipeHub 6-Way Hub
SXTPipeTurn 90' Turn
SXTSaturnV2Engine TVR-2000XXL Stack Pent-Adapter
SXTSaturnV3 3.75m Stage 3 Tank
SXTSaturnV3Enginge (TYPO is in file) 3.75m Stage 3 Engine
SXTn1GridFin 

Would you rather have a MM script, or would you like a PR on github to fix the default configs (and that typo in SXTSaturnV3Enginge)?

PS - I also found a couple orphans from Tokamak and I corrected them as follows:

@PART[centrifugeSmall]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:Final
{
	TechRequired = shortTermHabitation
}

@PART[TImunoxShuttle]:NEEDS[TokamakIndustries]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:AFTER[TokamakIndustries]
{
	TechRequired = commandModules
}

Feel free to take, or if you would rather I edit the original .cfg, I can do a PR on that as well.

Edited by Murdabenne

20 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

FYI @linuxgurugamer, I was doing some cleanup ti make sure my MM patches hadn't screwed anything up, and I found a lot of issues with SXT configs for one specific setting. It looked like a lot of them had no TechRequired node assigned.  Basically homeless parts.

So I ran this MM script to gather them all up in an empty node (exoticRadiators), 

@PART[*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]:Final
{
    TechRequired = exoticRadiators
}

and then checked the MM cache and this is what I found:

name = .... Title = 
SXTKe90TurboJet J-90 "Goliath" Turbofan Engine
SXTmk3CargoBayRamp Mk3 Cargo Ramp
SXTSmallFuselage Mk0 Liquid Fuel Fuselage
LMkIIAircaftFus Large Aircraft Fuselage
LMkIIAircaftFusLong Large Aircraft Passenger Cabin
SXTmk2225degree 22.5-DEG Tilted connector
SXT-TMA1 Tycho Magnetic Anomaly 1
SXTAJ10Mid LV-10-37-Mid "Rearguard 2" Liquid Fuel Engine
SXTBalloon XC-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank
SXTBalloonGold XC-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank [Gold]
SXTBalloonGoldB XC-32 Light Fuel Tank
SXTMTVGirder XC-MTV Structural Super Structure.
SXTMTVGirderBasic XC-MTV Open Four-way
SXTMTVGirderOpen XC-MTV Partial Super Structure
SXTMTVGirderOpenSmall XC-MTV Partial Super Structure (Short)
SXTBalloon375 OX-32 Inflatable Fuel Tank
SXTBalloonGoldB375 XX-32 Light Fuel Tank (Gold)
LSmallSvcMod PPD-SM250 Service Module
SXTPipeHub 6-Way Hub
SXTPipeTurn 90' Turn
SXTSaturnV2Engine TVR-2000XXL Stack Pent-Adapter
SXTSaturnV3 3.75m Stage 3 Tank
SXTSaturnV3Enginge (TYPO is in file) 3.75m Stage 3 Engine
SXTn1GridFin 

Would you rather have a MM script, or would you like a PR on github to fix the default configs (and that typo in SXTSaturnV3Enginge)?

PS - I also found a couple orphans from Tokamak and I corrected them as follows:

@PART[centrifugeSmall]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:Final
{
	TechRequired = shortTermHabitation
}

@PART[TImunoxShuttle]:NEEDS[TokamakIndustries]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]:AFTER[TokamakIndustries]
{
	TechRequired = commandModules
}

Feel free to take, or if you would rather I edit the original .cfg, I can do a PR on that as well.

I prefer the PR, if you can.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

This has got to be the most ignorant thing I have seen in quite a while on the forums.  Do you realize just how many mods he has taken and revived from obsolescence and obscurity?  Do you realized he does this FOR FREE - and in his own spare time? 

Look, Just because a mod maintainer doesn't have time to execute your wish on a whim doesn't mean you can demean him and his efforts or accuse him of disinterest.  He has an interest, that's why this whole thing is here!  What he has no interest in doing is executing special requests by snowflakes who can't see past the end of their grabby little hands who demand others must satisfy personal demands without regard to the cost of the author in free time and effort.  Want to see what that kind of jerk looks like?  Go take a selfie. 

You owe him an apology, a public one.  You really anger me with this kind of mean-spirited trash.  I've seen mods abandoned because of jerks like you. Its selfish ******s like you who drive mod authors out of doing mods.

You were a lot kinder on this **** than I'd have been. Well said.

I'll bet he uses a excrements-ton of linuxgurugamer's mods too... but doesn't support him on Patreon.

Edit: huh.. first time I think I've been censored by the word filter.. weird.

Edited by JAFO

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.