[1.12.x] SXT Continued

linuxgurugamer

16 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Oh! That's where I recognized that one from -- Yes -- the fact that it has internals means it must come from the warbirds cockpits!. Am I going to get into trouble if I try to fly too high with that thing (Like Better Than Starting Manned achieved with max altitude...)?

Unfortunately not. I set it up to remove all resources from life support mods, but causing harm to the kerbal at too high altitudes would require something like a reverse pressure limit and a custom plugin.

18 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

That's also why I was confused by it being a down-quality'ed version of the Mk-1. It's *meant* to be. No intent to disparage! :)

Haha, no problem.

1 minute ago, theonegalen said:

Unfortunately not. I set it up to remove all resources from life support mods, but causing harm to the kerbal at too high altitudes would require something like a reverse pressure limit and a custom plugin.

Haha, no problem.

Ah! That's what Better Than Starting Manned was doing, then. It was impossible for it to upgrade over multiple KSP updates, but when it was active, that mod was a blast with threading the needle of survivability and adventure!

I've been in the beginning stages of a SLOW career using Kerbal Construction Time, and I'm unreasonably excited to unlock the SXT Clyde compartment next. Even the lowly Bonny is nicely tricked out. It's nice to be literally stuck with cockpits for extended periods, and really enjoy those internals you put together. Thanks again for all that.

23 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Ah! That's what Better Than Starting Manned was doing, then. It was impossible for it to upgrade over multiple KSP updates, but when it was active, that mod was a blast with threading the needle of survivability and adventure!

I've been in the beginning stages of a SLOW career using Kerbal Construction Time, and I'm unreasonably excited to unlock the SXT Clyde compartment next. Even the lowly Bonny is nicely tricked out. It's nice to be literally stuck with cockpits for extended periods, and really enjoy those internals you put together. Thanks again for all that.

I remember BTSM. I liked it.

You're welcome! The Clyde isn't quite polished yet, but it is functional! Make sure you get the aerocharts from the ASET Avionics thread if you mean to use the radio navigation functions. Also make sure you have Pilot Assistant if you intend to use the autopilot. It is unfortunately not updated for 1.4.x, but I think it works anyway.

2 hours ago, theonegalen said:

I remember BTSM. I liked it.

You're welcome! The Clyde isn't quite polished yet, but it is functional! Make sure you get the aerocharts from the ASET Avionics thread if you mean to use the radio navigation functions. Also make sure you have Pilot Assistant if you intend to use the autopilot. It is unfortunately not updated for 1.4.x, but I think it works anyway.

Oh, THAT's what that radio is for? holy crap. I was showing a pilot friend that chart at work the other day, he was really impressed with the detail poured into it. This is a magnificent rabbit hole. I've been trying the Kramax "fork" of Pilot Assistant. Seems to have most of the features intact. :D

RPM doesn't work with Kramax, so the autopilot in the cockpit wont work as I designed without PA. I have a feature request in MAS for Kramax integration, but it hasn't happened yet.

We should probably stop taking over LGG's thread with the off topic discussion though.

Edited by theonegalen

1 minute ago, theonegalen said:

But RPM doesn't work with Kramax, so the autopilot in the cockpit wont work as I designed without PA. I have a feature request in MAS for Kramax integration, but it hasn't happened yet.

We should probably stop taking over LGG's thread with the off topic discussion though.

I would be thrilled if someone who had a passion for it would offer to take over Kramax

• 2 weeks later...

It's barely a bug, more of a larva, but I found a thing today: if you use the EAS-316 "Meadowlark" Observation Pod (open-sided glass helicopter-style 1.25m cockpit), it offers a Crew Report science experiment, but no matter which seat(s) are occupied it says that a report is unavailable as the pod is unmanned. I'm assuming this is a game limitation, as the stock jumpseat doesn't offer crew reports; such a shame, it makes a lovely rover command pod. I guess it'd make the most sense to just remove the Crew Report listing from the item description and right-click menu?

On 4/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I would be thrilled if someone who had a passion for it would offer to take over Kramax

I have some "avionics" experience from Orbiter (did a nice trick or two there), but need some help on Unity. And yes, I like Kramax very much.

If you can spare the time assisting me, I can give this a try.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok, I assume you know c# at least?

Get a development environment setup, download the mod and see if you can compile it locally

Yes, I can compile and fix simple plugins. :-)

It's Unity and KSP internals that are still black magic to me. =D

EDIT: I think we should move threads. :-)

Edited by Lisias

On 10/30/2016 at 1:48 AM, Nippie1995 said:

I just want to thank you for keeping this and all the other discontinued mods alive. Great work!

On 10/30/2016 at 2:56 AM, Quodios Kerman said:

Oh god you are working so hard... Tons of dollars will not be enough for Squad to pay for you. Everytime, thank you.

Yes! Thankyouthankyouthankyou, @linuxgurugamer! You are so cool! Thanks for keeping all these discontinued- "I'm sorry, but that product has been discontinued."- mods alive.

• 5 weeks later...

CKAN installs 0.3.23.1 for KSP 1.3.1 but on loading it gives a warning that it was built for 1.4.1. Usually these warnings are for earlier versions (1.2.2, 1.3) so I ignore them but 1.4.1 is later. I do not see problems so far but I thought it would be good to note this.

On 6/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, Tidal Stream said:

CKAN installs 0.3.23.1 for KSP 1.3.1 but on loading it gives a warning that it was built for 1.4.1. Usually these warnings are for earlier versions (1.2.2, 1.3) so I ignore them but 1.4.1 is later. I do not see problems so far but I thought it would be good to note this.

It is fine, its only a parts mod

New release, 0.3.23.7

• Thanks to github user @schnobs for this:

Custom Drag Cube for SXTCargoBay1 (2.5m Cargo Bay)

The game sees the cargo bay as a hollow tube, giving it very little surface area. Drag-wise it does not line up with other 2.5m parts, both leading and trailing 2.5m items have much higher drag than one would guess from looking at the vessel. The effect is comparable to inserting a modular girder or  I-beam into a 2.5m stack.

This patch fixes the issue by giving the closed cargo bay the  surface area of a (similar-sized) Rockomax-16 tank.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question regarding this pack and the FAR patch. On stock parts that work with FAR, the CoL arrow does not appear. This is supposedly the correct situation. I see FAR patches in my install for SXT, but the parts produce the CoL arrow and I'm also  having an impossible time making planes built with the Bonny cockpit and "Mk0 Small Modular Wing" behave as they are supposed to with FAR. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

EDIT:  Okay, I'm an idiot. In the visualizer I am seeing lift arrows on the wings. They are behaving really strangely, though. Like, I put the wings on the absolute back of the plane yet the nose flips like I have CoL in front of CoM. My other planes don't screw up this bad. I am still seeing that arrow with the Bonny, though. Not sure what that's about.

Edited by fitemesquirrel

• 2 weeks later...

While I love almost all the additions this mod adds, I've noticed the aviation parts belonging in the SPH end up in the VAB editor, REALLY cluttering things up. Is there something I can edit with the mod to limit the parts that would normally only be available in the SPH, to not appear in the VAB editor?

8 hours ago, Thrackerzod4 said:

While I love almost all the additions this mod adds, I've noticed the aviation parts belonging in the SPH end up in the VAB editor, REALLY cluttering things up. Is there something I can edit with the mod to limit the parts that would normally only be available in the SPH, to not appear in the VAB editor?

...But all parts are always available in both editors anyway? I've never seen a part only display in the VAB or only in the SPH, it's just not how the game works.

1 hour ago, JH4C said:

...But all parts are always available in both editors anyway? I've never seen a part only display in the VAB or only in the SPH, it's just not how the game works.

You can try using Janitor's Closet, and block some mods in the VAB, or you can try using Filter Extensions

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.