[1.12.x] SXT Continued

linuxgurugamer

16 minutes ago, TonedMite133805 said:

Can you please give me some names? I'm new here.

Okay, looks like the reskin should be easy, the others... I dunno.

But... crap. I don't have Unity.

Unity is a free download

Angel-125, Roverdude, are two which come to mind.  There are others, just look at  the popular current mods

9 hours ago, TonedMite133805 said:

Like the construction girders?

How detailed do the 3d models need to be? Are the models and the textures separate?

Because one thing I would like to see is a Mk.0/0.625m fuel tank and/or structural fuselage retextured to match the 0.625m/Mk.0 cockpits and tail assembly. How easy would making a reskin/retexture of that nature be?

If modeling is not up your alley, you can also do a lot with resizing existing parts to different scales by making new configs or using ModuleManager to make new parts using existing models. Check out the module manager thread for more details on how it works.

6 hours ago, VenDei said:

I just had a look, and it seems that SXT is hit pretty hard by Restock's blacklisting technique. Maybe supplying a whitelist would make sense for this mod, as I guess Restock might become quite popular.

Yep, I know that @linuxgurugamer is already talking to the RS folks. If you need an immediate fix you can create your own whitelist too...

It's as simple as copying the restockblacklist, creating XXXXXXX.restockwhitelist  and saving it anywhere in your gamedata folder

The whitelist overrides the blacklist, so if you don't make any edits you'll override blacklist entirely and load all the stock textures. if you want to get more surgical you can go in and edit your whitelist to only preserve textures you actually need.

Edited by Tyko

1 minute ago, Tyko said:

Yep, if you need an immediate fix you can create your own whitelist too...

It's as simple as copying the restockblacklist and creating XXXXXXX.restockwhitelist  and saving it anywhere in your gamedata folder

The whitelist overrides the blacklist, so if you don't make any edits you'll override blacklist entirely and load all the stock textures. if you want to get more surgical you can go in and edit your whitelist to only preserve textures you actually need.

You could probably do the "unsurgical" job easier by just renaming the plugin dll in restock if you want to completely disable anything it does, but that's hardly the point of having it in the first place, is it.

6 hours ago, VenDei said:

I just had a look, and it seems that SXT is hit pretty hard by Restock's blacklisting technique. Maybe supplying a whitelist would make sense for this mod, as I guess Restock might become quite popular.

Ummm, you know, Restock was JUST released today.

I know I'm good, but please.  This is just as bad as asking mod authors for an update.  You need to give me (and others) a little time to work on it

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, you know, Restock was JUST released today.

I know I'm good, but please.  This is just as bad as asking mod authors for an update.  You need to give me (and others) a little time to work on it

I did not ask if you do it, when you do it or even that YOU do it. I suggested that there's an interaction and that to me it makes sense to do something about it. More formally it would be a bug report.
You read an obligation into that that does not exist, and I refuse to take the blame for it.

Edited by VenDei

36 minutes ago, VenDei said:

You could probably do the "unsurgical" job easier by just renaming the plugin dll in restock if you want to completely disable anything it does, but that's hardly the point of having it in the first place, is it.

making the whitelist only takes a few seconds. copy the blacklist, paste it somewhere else in the gamedata folder and rename it XXXXXX.restockwhitelist    - yer done!

Then you can just delete that whitelist file at a later date. This will "fix" any mods you're running affected by the blacklist. Depending on how much RAM you have you could just leave the whitelist in place too. It's a difference of a few hundred MB of RAM iirc 

1 minute ago, Tyko said:

making the whitelist only takes a few seconds. copy the blacklist, paste it somewhere else in the gamedata folder and rename it XXXXXX.restockwhitelist    - yer done!

I understood what you meant the first time, thank you. And knew about that possibility before that, too.

11 hours ago, StevieC said:

I think he's talking about /GameData/SXT/Parts/Rocketry/Control/RCSBoon/part.cfg (part name RCSBoonExt)

Thank you.  The name as shown ingame would have been fine, this is better.  I’ll take a look at it.

But I was trying to make a point here: a bug report needs to be as specific as possible, with as much information as possible.  Just saying that a thingy isn’t working in not enough, ans I am not going to spend any time looking for a “thingy”.  Having the displayed name would have been enough since I could have done a simple search for that text.

Now, the report inquestion says it doesn’t work.  But that can mean different things.  For example, it appears to have an effect, but no visual is shown, is a better description.  Another example, “I tried all axises, there were no visuals and no effect on the vessel” is a more complete description of the problem. 

19 hours ago, TonedMite133805 said:

I didn’t have KSP open or handy, TBH.

Then say so when you post.  If you had said that, I would merely asked you to post more details when you get home

Look at it from my point of view.  I have limited time to support lots of mods.  I am not going to chase down a vague report without a good reason, it can take a lot of time to do that.  Once @StevieC identified it, I was able to start looking at it.

On 3/10/2019 at 9:34 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Then say so when you post.  If you had said that, I would merely asked you to post more details when you get home

Look at it from my point of view.  I have limited time to support lots of mods.  I am not going to chase down a vague report without a good reason, it can take a lot of time to do that.  Once @StevieC identified it, I was able to start looking at it.

Understood

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.