[1.12.x] SXT Continued

linuxgurugamer

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Were they a CKAN install or manual?

Manual

I have well over 100 mods in my main install... figuring out why my SXT elevons didn't work was a daunting task... I started removing mods in alphabetic order... like I have done in the past, and BAM!! the mod related to the issue started with "A" Usually it's a mod beginning with "T" or "S" lol

I use those elevons ALOT... but have not used them in a couple of weeks... and couldn't figure out what mod I had added recently that could be causing the issue.

Edited by TheKurgan

4 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Manual

I have well over 100 mods in my main install... figuring out why my SXT elevons didn't work was a daunting task... I started removing mods in alphabetic order... like I have done in the past, and BAM!! the mod related to the issue started with "A" Usually it's a mod beginning with "T" or "S" lol

Well, it sometimes is faster to remove a bunch at a time and see what happens.

Interestingly enough. AoA is still listed at only compatible up to 1.3.0 in CKAN

Interestingly enough. AoA is still listed at only compatible up to 1.3.0 in CKAN

Yes, true, but me and another player I know have found no issues with it, it's only parts and no .dll files.

Well, it sometimes is faster to remove a bunch at a time and see what happens

yeah I removed all mods beginning with A, B, and C on the first round.

Anyway, I get home in about 2 hours, I'll do more testing, and post the links to the logs.

Edited by TheKurgan

13 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Yes, true, but me and another player I know have found no issues with it, it's only parts and no .dll files.

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh, I believe you, it is just interesting that it hasn't been updated to reflect it.

15 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

With AoA installed, the Elevons in SXT do not work

All the elevons, or just some of them?

Ok retested

- completely fresh install

- brand new save

- newest version of SXT,  (with included Fire Spitter and retractable lifting surface)

- newest version of AoA

- Module Manager (3.0.0)

- Nothing else installed (no ASET).

Same results.

All your elevons exhibit the same issues with that TestFin in AoA.

Stock elevons unaffected.

Remove the Fin... problem gone.... baffling!!

wSv0X3a.jpg

Also tried the newest FireSpitter complete from https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/releases

and the newest MM from https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/ModuleManager/

Same results

Edited by TheKurgan

6 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

@linuxgurugamer

@Wolfair corp.

After more trial and error testing, I found if i remove the TestFin from AoA, then the SXT elevons work again... I can't figure out why, or where the conflict is, but that's as far as I can narrow it down.

Hopefully you intelligent guys can figure it out... I really enjoy both mods.... but I'm ok with that TestFin removed.

Just curious, are you using MM 3.0+ or MM 2.8.1?

Just now, TheKurgan said:

Weird hey? Well I'm happy you found it!!

Not really.  The "FOR" makes MM think that FAR is there, and then there are patches in SXT for FAR which are being activated.

@Wolfair corp.

You need to fix the TestFin, in the patch at the end, change the word "FOR" to "NEEDS"

I've submitted a PR on github for this, hopefully he sees it soon

On 6.12.2017 at 5:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

What's the best way to post the log? It's quite large... (10Mb) and I can't seem to post it here...

Can I just post a relevant part of it or is there another way?

4 minutes ago, Szeperator said:

What's the best way to post the log? It's quite large... (10Mb) and I can't seem to post it here...

Can I just post a relevant part of it or is there another way?

Upload your log to a filesharing site such as dropbox and share the link to it in this thread 

44 minutes ago, Szeperator said:

I looked in the log file, but it's not the whole file.  I should see the part in there (part name is:  SXTWingVeryLarge) but it isn't.

Please put the entire output_log.txt on either google drive or Dropbox, also, it would be helpful to see the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file

Thanks

On 12/5/2017 at 11:29 PM, Szeperator said:

I just downloaded the newest version but the FAT-500 Wing  (the largest one) doesn't seem to generate lift...

Any ideas how to fix this?

13 hours ago, Szeperator said:

No idea why, but now they seem to work, sry for bothering you^^

This happens sometimes intermittently if you have the wing base clipped into cargo bays, service bays, or fairings. With bays it is easily tested: when this happens, just open the bay, and if you suddenly have your lift back, that's the problem.

The underlying cause is that KSP was changed to consider anything shielded in a bay to not be 'functional', and this includes wings not generating lift. So it's not specifically a problem of this mod or that particular wing part.

(Annoyingly, the game is not very consistent or intuitive about when something should be shielded - having just a very small part of the wing in the bay is sometimes enough to cause this. And then sometimes it works at first, but during the flight, as the flight stress bends the frame, suddenly it stops the wings from lifting, or worse, just one of them. This may be what has happened to you, and why it couldn't be reproduced later.)

hey, sorry to post. Not sure how relevant this could be but ksp wouldn't fully load up until I removed the 'efan' part. every single time it hanged on the loading bar at this part. remove it..poof, game fully loads. no crashing...just a screen hang..indefinitely. im running 1.3.1 with latest versions of the firesplitter core .dll and MM and a number of other mods. but I thought id let ya know, seems weird.

46 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

hey, sorry to post. Not sure how relevant this could be but ksp wouldn't fully load up until I removed the 'efan' part. every single time it hanged on the loading bar at this part. remove it..poof, game fully loads. no crashing...just a screen hang..indefinitely. im running 1.3.1 with latest versions of the firesplitter core .dll and MM and a number of other mods. but I thought id let ya know, seems weird.

This is (most likely) a result of not having the FSCoolant resource, I am wildly guessing. This engine and the KAX electric prop require the resource, but most mods that distribute Firespitter do not also distribute the little CFG that creates that resource.

21 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

This happens sometimes intermittently if you have the wing base clipped into cargo bays, service bays, or fairings. With bays it is easily tested: when this happens, just open the bay, and if you suddenly have your lift back, that's the problem.

The underlying cause is that KSP was changed to consider anything shielded in a bay to not be 'functional', and this includes wings not generating lift. So it's not specifically a problem of this mod or that particular wing part.

(Annoyingly, the game is not very consistent or intuitive about when something should be shielded - having just a very small part of the wing in the bay is sometimes enough to cause this. And then sometimes it works at first, but during the flight, as the flight stress bends the frame, suddenly it stops the wings from lifting, or worse, just one of them. This may be what has happened to you, and why it couldn't be reproduced later.)

Thx, seems pretty reasonable, because I encountered the problem when building a big bomber (where I probably put the wings on the cargo bay). When I tested the wings again, I just put them on a tank and it worked fine. So no mod problem and a KSP problem..?! 

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file, please.  Also, the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file if it's there

It loads fine for me.

Sounds like some MM patch is changing things incorrectly

Also, how did you install?

I switched to manual installs..unless theres a mod that isnt hosted anywhere but ckan...(mechjeb2 homepage link was invalid) it seemed fyi... but thats a different ball o wax.

I dont think I have the firesplitter resources config. i think i just downloaded the plugin .dll. ive gone ahead downloaded the full pack and Ill add the efan files back to the directory. ill report back in a moment to see if an error pops.

EDIT: that seemed to do the trick(resources config) loading bar continued on as normal huzza!!

Edited by Jesusthebird

12 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

I switched to manual installs..unless theres a mod that isnt hosted anywhere but ckan...(mechjeb2 homepage link was invalid) it seemed fyi... but thats a different ball o wax.

I dont think I have the firesplitter resources config. i think i just downloaded the plugin .dll. ive gone ahead downloaded the full pack and Ill add the efan files back to the directory. ill report back in a moment to see if an error pops.

EDIT: that seemed to do the trick(resources config) loading bar continued on as normal huzza!!

And this is why I prefer CKAN installs.  No offense, but it's so much easier to make a mistake when installing manually.

Glad you got it fixed.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And this is why I prefer CKAN installs.  No offense, but it's so much easier to make a mistake when installing manually.

Glad you got it fixed.

thanks! yea ive noticed its a mixed bag. depending on the mod. i had a terrible time getting galactic neighborhood to work via ckan installs. as soon as I did a manual install...it works great! but parts packs i usually like to install via ckan since most the time there's no conflict between them.

i coulda sworn i saw you comment on another post of mine(seperate thread) stating you like installing manually. maybe im tripping lol!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.