Jeb is Dead

So, in my current career, I have it set to "missing crew respawns", and most of the time, even with some pretty impressive crashes, the crew always finds its way back after a bit. Except somehow... Jeb is now showing up as "KIA" instead of "missing" in the astronaut complex, and isn't coming back. What gives? Is there a way to kill kerbals hard enough to override the respawn setting?

There may be some way of killing them that bypasses the Missing/KIA test. With a couple quickie tests, I couldn't do it -- mine always ended up missing no matter how violently I killed them, in multiple scenarios. Are you running any mods? Mods could easily make it happen.

19 hours ago, Jarin said:

So, in my current career, I have it set to "missing crew respawns", and most of the time, even with some pretty impressive crashes, the crew always finds its way back after a bit. Except somehow... Jeb is now showing up as "KIA" instead of "missing" in the astronaut complex, and isn't coming back. What gives? Is there a way to kill kerbals hard enough to override the respawn setting?

well you can hack the save by going into the persistent file and set Jeb To available search up a video 

On 10/30/2016 at 1:43 AM, bewing said:

There may be some way of killing them that bypasses the Missing/KIA test. With a couple quickie tests, I couldn't do it -- mine always ended up missing no matter how violently I killed them, in multiple scenarios. Are you running any mods? Mods could easily make it happen.

Hm... don't think my mods would be messing with that. I guess FMRS might do something if you don't shift back to a first stage properly. Everything else I have is informational or graphics.

Went ahead and tweaked Jeb back to Available in the persistence file. Though I did get a weird bug where he had 5 stars for his first flight before it corrected itself.

Edit: Another possible cause... maybe this isn't checked properly if an aircraft is auto-removed for being out of focus in the atmosphere?

Edited by Jarin

On 10/31/2016 at 7:18 AM, Jarin said:

Edit: Another possible cause... maybe this isn't checked properly if an aircraft is auto-removed for being out of focus in the atmosphere?

Did you switch away from an aircraft in flight and hit the "OK" button?

Or did you launch a satellite probe from the aircraft and have it fly out of physics range?

Im sure kerbals dont list as K.I.A unless you execute them, because if you kill them like in a crash they're listed as M.I.A And M.I.A kerbals respawn in a amount of time and K.I.A kerbals don't respawn.

(Had to learn the hard way though.) Just reload a save when they didn't die. K.I.A means Killed In Action And M.I.A means Missing In Action.

EDIT:having missing crew respawn on doesn't respawn K.I.A kerbals. Also you can hack your save in the persistent file to bring them back.

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

13 hours ago, bewing said:

Or did you launch a satellite probe from the aircraft and have it fly out of physics range?

This one. I launched a satellite from the back of a jet, but the game crashed sometime after that and I never got to use FMRS to switch back.

13 hours ago, Program Kerbal Space said:

EDIT:having missing crew respawn on doesn't respawn K.I.A kerbals. Also you can hack your save in the persistent file to bring them back.

Yeah, I just flipped Jeb back to "available" in the persistence file. I'm mostly just trying to figure out what caused it, to avoid it in the future. Also... "execute them"? Pretty sure that they're supposed to survive even Danny2462-style abuse if respawn is on. Wasn't aware that KSP had a death penalty. o.o; 

6 hours ago, Jarin said:

This one. I launched a satellite from the back of a jet, but the game crashed sometime after that and I never got to use FMRS to switch back.

Yeah, I just flipped Jeb back to "available" in the persistence file. I'm mostly just trying to figure out what caused it, to avoid it in the future. Also... "execute them"? Pretty sure that they're supposed to survive even Danny2462-style abuse if respawn is on. Wasn't aware that KSP had a death penalty. o.o; 

When I mean execute I mean by if you go into the astronaut complex and go into the missing tab then pressing the X button on the kerbal that went missing that executes him and lists it as K.I.A.

EDIT:How did Jeb die? Jeb never dies! #JEBTHEINVINCIBLE

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.