The Kerbal Franchise - Other "Kerbal ____" Games

1.2 is now out. It's everything 1.0 should have been, and so much more. But now, SQUAD has acheived most of the sales of the base game it's going to get with the console version. They're a company, and they need money. I think that we should have more games with the Kerbals and Kerbin. What other Kerbal-universe games would you like to see? I think a story-focused game where you are a Kerbal whose plane has crashed and has to survive in the wilderness would be cool. Rant ends.

Talk!

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

I'd like to see a full flight simulator, where you can build your own air planes like in KSP (including propellers and internal combustion engines); it would have more accurate atmospheric flight dynamics, real weather, airports and scenery, ability to have random failures etc.  It could be more of an expansion pack than a whole separate program.  Hey I can dream can't I?  But I don't think KSP is finished by a long shot. 

A story along the lines you suggest sounds interesting.  How about a game where your kerbals crash their giant space ship onto a deserted planet and then have to start a whole civilization from scratch and (in the fastest possible time) become a space faring civilization so they can go back home (in this scenario Kerbals are basically immortal barring accidents).

Edited by kBob

Although KSP hitting Steam's top sellers list again during the 1.2 launch makes me wonder how much their sales are actually suffering, I'll play ball.

A KSP2 is very much likely.  Aside from that, I'd love a Kerbal Cart Racer with a destruction derby mode.  Imagine building up your cart with hundreds of parts and slamming it into another cart made up of another hundred parts!  You'd have to manage your winnings against any damage sustained.  I don't know.  Could be cool.

Kerbal Research Program where you are a scientist dealing with the Science! that comes back from the Mün.

Kerbal Colonisation Program as it says on the tin. KSP Expansion Pack is probably an EPL around a new star...

I suspect they are lookin at a child's cartoon ala Angry Birds.  Is that called diversification  of the IP? 

Kreb City being a sim city type experience with the sim copter fly throughs?

Edit - ninjad by the above post for Research idea!

Edited by theJesuit
Ninja timing

Honestly they could just plop Kerbals into any old game and make something of it. Personally, I think they'll try selling the IP and company like Pearson did with Minecraft after a few more updates, and retire to Patogonia to live like kings.

A strategy game might be nice, something like Kommand and Kerbal- wherein you actually have to colonize and secure territory on Kerbin because, let's face it, the planet is empty save for the KSC and a few other random locations. A good campaign for this RTS might include how the Kerbals use space technology to develop and maintain cities, seeing as they developed spaceships before they did cities and their infrastructure.

What I feel should be done before Squad decides to develop any other Kerbal-themed games would be that they create a little more background on the Kerbals. What I've wondered about the most are the following:

Cities don't exist on Kerbin because of the hit they would take on performance, but if they did exist, how would they look?

How would Kerbin's landscape really look? Currently, we only see low-res, repetitive ground scatter and a homogeneous-textured surface for terrain.

How do animals look? I remember seeing a kraken-like creature in one of the official animations; how about showing more species?

Edited by Rithsom

20 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

1.2 is now out. It's everything 1.0 should have been, and so much more.

I disagree.

If there is ever going to be a sequel it should be Kerbal Aircraft Program with Earth-sized Kerbin and atmospheric engines of different eras. And with multiplayer. And maybe weapons.

I'd go with:

The prequel: Kerbal Aeronautics Program. Same idea as KSP, but starting with early Wright type flying things up to large hypersonic transports. Someone will probably mod a space program on top.

Kerbin: a Telltale Game. I don't particularly like those, but they have a habit of making games out of other games and stuff

Kerbal Space Program: The Movie. (Because, why not? Hopefully Hollywood does something passable with it. And it provides a better opportunity to sell merchandising)

Kerbal Space Program 2 (Hopefully, with upgraded graphics and better designed gameplay)

Edited by juanml82

Spin-Off game... A point and click Adventure called "Kerbal Isolation",  where you control a kerbal alone in an damaged station orbitind JooL... :P

Kerbal Kart... a Mario Kart alike game...

Kerbin Arena... a Moba game.... :P

Von Kerman -The Kraken Hunter - an action rack'n Slash game...

Edited by luizopiloto

I would vote for a Space Station or general Kerbal Colony Program where the object was to build up your colony as much as possible, either by building up the infrastructure (ships, supply depots, shuttlecraft) and maintaining your expanse, or take it a half built scenario from the computer and have to make do with what's there until you can launch new components. 

On 2016-10-31 at 11:18 AM, Veeltch said:

If there is ever going to be a sequel it should be Kerbal Aircraft Program with Earth-sized Kerbin and atmospheric engines of different eras. And with multiplayer. And maybe weapons.

There are already many good realistic flight sims (X-Plane and FSX comes to mind) and we don't need more games with weapons.

IMnvHO.

2 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

There are already many good realistic flight sims (X-Plane and FSX comes to mind) and we don't need more games with weapons.

IMnvHO.

So you wouldn't buy it. I would.

At least we've cleared that up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.