Logitech 3D Force Pro not bindable to Axis

Tried as I might, my joystick is unable to be recognized in KSP. The buttons can be bound, but not the axis. When attempting to bind, It'll say it's there, but dissappear as soon as I click accept, and it will not work in the game. I've deleted the settings.cfg file multiple times, installed the latest logitech drivers and application, even assigned a profile for KSP. If you run the game and look in the settings.cfg it isn't listed as an input device. This joystick works perfectly find in my other games. I've tested with x64 and x86 binaries. I've run up and down these forums and it looks like there's been some issue with Logitech Extreme and Force 3D joysticks. Have these ever been solved?

47 minutes ago, SeraphTroy said:

Hi sal, I have tried that to do that. In fact, if I do that, and move the joystick, it will display something in relation to the axis moved (either 0.1 or 1.1 or 1.x 0.x) but the bind won't save, even in the menu.

Okay, and you are plugging the stick in before starting KSP?

Can you take a look at the support thread linked in he issue above and provide your settings.cfg and logs please, you can upload them to a free file site such as dropbox.

9 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Okay, and you are plugging the stick in before starting KSP?

Can you take a look at the support thread linked in he issue above and provide your settings.cfg and logs please, you can upload them to a free file site such as dropbox.

Yes, I always have my joystick(s) plugged in. Do you want me to post that information in 

or in http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83213-stock-support-bug-reporting-guide/

I had an issue like this a while back on a modded install. What worked for me is removing all mods and fixing the settings for the jotstick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro by the by) and then re-adding the mods. With mods the issue was identical. It would detect but not save the settings.

2 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Post it here please.

Sure, KSP 1.2.0.1586

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1jx0aatrbfda0e3/AAC4myLbD3-ZMT1PHnzxgv5Ta?dl=0

For files. Note that this does detect my other joystick which you will see in the settings.cfg, and in the screenshot, you'll see that it detects both, but can only keep/set settings for the saitek. I also delete the settings.cfg at each retry. Lastly, in case you think the Saitek is a problem, I've also tried doing all of this with that joystick unplugged.

I don't see anything wrong in the logs, @SeraphTroy would you please try starting KSP via the Windows command prompt, making sure to cd (change directory) to the KSP folder or navigate there in explorer then open a command window.

You should see some text showing what controllers were detected, including the Wingman.

And please paste the output here, it should be only a dozen lines or so.

Hi @sal_vager I tried to do that but I never get any output to line:

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>dir
 Volume in drive X is Data
 Volume Serial Number is A2D3-F13A

Directory of X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

31.10.2016  21.43    <DIR>          .
31.10.2016  21.43    <DIR>          ..
15.10.2016  13.11                60 buildID.txt
15.10.2016  13.13                60 buildID64.txt
15.10.2016  13.16    <DIR>          EmptySteamDepot
31.10.2016  18.41             9 312 FAQ.md
31.10.2016  21.43    <DIR>          GameData
01.10.2016  06.06    <DIR>          Internals
15.10.2016  13.11        17 729 024 KSP.exe
31.10.2016  22.11           632 449 KSP.log
31.10.2016  18.46    <DIR>          KSP_Data
15.10.2016  13.14        21 468 672 KSP_x64.exe
30.10.2016  14.01    <DIR>          KSP_x64_Data
15.10.2016  13.16        16 180 736 Launcher.exe
15.10.2016  13.16    <DIR>          Launcher_Data
31.10.2016  18.41            33 674 LICENSE.md
31.10.2016  22.11           106 357 PartDatabase.cfg
01.10.2016  06.06    <DIR>          Parts
15.10.2016  13.16            22 168 Physics.cfg
30.10.2016  14.09    <DIR>          PluginData
30.10.2016  12.32    <DIR>          Plugins
31.10.2016  18.41             8 894 README.md
15.10.2016  13.16           287 343 readme.txt
01.10.2016  06.06    <DIR>          Resources
30.10.2016  12.35    <DIR>          saves
30.10.2016  12.34    <DIR>          Screenshots
31.10.2016  22.01            29 304 settings.cfg
01.10.2016  06.06    <DIR>          Ships
01.10.2016  06.06    <DIR>          sounds
15.10.2016  13.16           213 072 steam_api.dll
15.10.2016  13.16           235 600 steam_api64.dll
31.10.2016  21.54    <DIR>          thumbs
              15 File(s)     56 956 725 bytes
              17 Dir(s)  100 546 662 400 bytes free

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>KSP_x64.exe

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>KSP.exe

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>Launcher.exe

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>KSP_x64.exe

X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program>

But I did look through some of different output logs and found this in the KSP_x64_Data Maybe this is what you're looking for? To note is "[InputDevices]: Device #1 has no name." 

Initialize engine version: 5.4.0p4 (b15b5ae035b7)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx64.dll 8.17.10.1433]
    Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series
    Vendor:   ATI
    VRAM:     1010 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1 ATOC=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Assembly-UnityScript.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Mono.Cecil.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Mono.Cecil.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPAssets.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\KSPAssets.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TDx.TDxInput.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TDx.TDxInput.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TrackIRUnity.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\TrackIRUnity.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\xmldiffpatch.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\xmldiffpatch.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\XmlDiffPatch.View.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\XmlDiffPatch.View.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.149 seconds
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\Boo.Lang.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 3.117644 ms
Release Build

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[KSP Version]: 1.2.0.1586 (WindowsPlayer x64) (x64) ==============================

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

[InputDevices]: Device #1 has no name.

[Input Devices]: 0: Saitek ST90 USB Stick

[InputDevices]: Device #1 has no name.

[Input Devices]: 0: Saitek ST90 USB Stick

Launcher Settings File doesn't exist

Launcher after checking file: True

******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.2.0.1586 (WindowsPlayer x64) *******

ActionCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928

Nevermind my previous post. I noticed that depending on how you launch, the log is in X:\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data and not KSP_x64_Data. When I ran KSP.exe instead of the x64 binary it seemed to pick it up, so maybe the problem is with the x86 binary?

Yeah that is significant, "[InputDevices]: Device #1 has no name." means the name returned from the Input.GetJoystickNames method is either empty or contains only whitespace (which is trimmed), and KSP uses the joystick name to assign different bindings to each controller.

Your only option at this time may be to use something like vjoy to make a named virtual joystick, so Unity can return a name and KSP can assign the bindings.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:11 PM, sal_vager said:

Yeah that is significant, "[InputDevices]: Device #1 has no name." means the name returned from the Input.GetJoystickNames method is either empty or contains only whitespace (which is trimmed), and KSP uses the joystick name to assign different bindings to each controller.

Your only option at this time may be to use something like vjoy to make a named virtual joystick, so Unity can return a name and KSP can assign the bindings.

I might try that out. I won't be able to test until later. Like I said I *think* got this working when I ran the KSP binary rather than the KSP_64 binary, and even the logs output different things when I checked. I'll see if I can recreate the issue, and submit it back to y'all as a bug report.

Can you remember exactly when it stopped working @SeraphTroy?

I can see the name of your Logitech in the settings.cfg, assigned to axis and buttons, but not in the input devices section, and again the output_log says the device has no name, which makes no sense.

Also, I have tested a Logitech Wingman extreme, a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and a Logitech dual action gamepad here on Linux and Windows via virtual machine, as far as I can tell they are all working fine, I can see the Extreme in the output_log as this.

[Input Devices]: 1: WingMan Extreme Digital 3D, 0: Logitech Extreme 3D

In the settings.cfg as this.

INPUT_DEVICES
{
    WingMan Extreme Digital 3D = 1
    Logitech Extreme 3D = 0
}

And can assign them.

AXIS_PITCH
{
	PRIMARY
	{
		name = WingMan Extreme Digital 3D
		axis = 1
		inv = False
		sensitivity = 1
		deadzone = 0.0500000007
		scale = 1
		group = 0
		modeMask = -1
	}
	SECONDARY
	{
		name = Logitech Extreme 3D
		axis = 1
		inv = False
		sensitivity = 1
		deadzone = 0.0500000007
		scale = 1
		group = 0
		modeMask = -1
	}
}

The assignments persist after restarting KSP.

It seems strange that the Logitech Force 3D Pro would have issues when three other Logitech controllers are working, one of which is just the non-forcefeedback version of the Logitech Force 3D.

One difference here may be that I'm not using any 3rd party controller software, so Unity can read the joysticks from the OS directly, but after installing the Logitech software in the Windows 7 VM and setting up the Extreme 3D Pro, and starting KSP via the Logitech software, the controller still worked fine.

I don't know what I can do for you at this point, I am unable to reproduce the issue and as far as I can tell you should not be having a problem, I think we need to hear from another Logitech Force 3D owner to know if this is more widespread.

The above was tested in KSP 1.2.1 32bit on Windows 7 64bit, and KSP 1.2.1 64bit on Xubuntu Linux 64bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.