[1.7.3] Real Battery v1.7

Blackline

Thanks for the flowers :-)

Info: With the addition of heat effects, you really need at least one small radiator, if you draw more than a probe's required power. I'll update some specifications later this day.

Edited by Blackline

Hmmm. It seems to have a hard time adjusting to things that use large ammounts of EC, and appears to be draining them one at a time. The four batteries i have attached seem to be more than capable of supplying my engine, but my actual EC keeps dropping to 0.
They also appear to be draining one at a time. Perhaps it would be easier if they all ran at once?

Edited by SpaceMouse

Interesting, can you give me more information?

• What version of RealBattery? Did you use heat radiators?
  • Can you post a Screenshot of your craft, with the right click menu of the RealBattery and the resource window open?
  • How much EC/s is your drive requesting?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'll look into the multi usage problem. That may need some code changes, to distribute the load somehow.

Edited by Blackline

6 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Interesting, can you give me more information?

• What version of RealBattery? Did you use heat radiators?
  • Can you post a Screenshot of your craft, with the right click menu of the RealBattery and the resource window open?
  • How much EC/s is your drive requesting?

Thanks!

Should be your most recent upload. I don't think the issue existed in the previous one.

0bik9Vn.jpg

Alot. :D I may have confused the plugin by using a different sized battery, it will pull from more of them, but it doesn't do it consistently.
Only running the EM in the middle of the pic.

@BlacklineIt looks like when it hits the output limit of one battery it starts outputting on the next one but doesn't compensate for the drop in output as the temperature increases. I think.
Didn't try adding radiators. My drive is probably generating 99% of the heat.

Edited by SpaceMouse

Definitely appears to be heat-related. I switched to 4 large stock radiators and the batteries still won't cool down. Heat seems to build up perhaps too fast in the batteries?

@Blackline I definitely think your batteries are staying waaaay too warm. just running the basic electrics in space on the ship they still hover around 280-290K, and that was one battery attached to 4 large radiators only requesting 2 ec/s

Edited by SpaceMouse

Maybe you misinterpred, how i implemented the heat mechanics: you can see the Core Temp: a K / b K, where "a" is the current temperature, and "b" is the temperature goal for the radiators. The radiators only dissipate heat from the Core Temp, if its actual temp is higher than the goal temp. Thats why it stays at around 280K, which is some modest 5°C (don't know the F).

Now some of the batteries show 400K / 320K, this means, there are not enough heatsinks to cool them down. And at 400K, the current implementation reduces the output down to 30% of the maximum value.

iAJlmBr.png

Here it idles on only the probe core, so only the first battery is discharging (which is the way it works now, blanced charge/discharge will be a new feature)

RMFx9TF.png

Now the first Battery is getting hot, and the thirds is taking over slowly.

LQLYz9a.png

Now with one radiator, all batteries are cooled down (ION engine on low idle) and the first can give all it can do.

t59mmhA.png

Now all ION engines on full throttle, the batteries can not hold their power request, but they do what they can.

Edited by Blackline

4 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Maybe you misinterpred, how i implemented the heat mechanics: you can see the Core Temp: a K / b K, where "a" is the current temperature, and "b" is the temperature goal for the radiators. The radiators only dissipate heat from the Core Temp, if its actual temp is higher than the goal temp. Thats why it stays at around 280K, which is some modest 5°C (don't know the F).

Now some of the batteries show 400K / 320K, this means, there are not enough heatsinks to cool them down. And at 400K, the current implementation reduces the output down to 30% of the maximum value.

I just tested it with a single stock Xenon thruster and it seems to persist there too. I left 3 large radiators on it. My heat didn't go past 16%

8 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

I just tested it with a single stock Xenon thruster and it seems to persist there too. I left 3 large radiators on it. My heat didn't go past 16%

See my upper post. The heat you see in the radiator panel is (i think) not useful, if only core-temps are in play. Maybe someone ( @Crzyrndm @Nertea ) could bring some light on that question.

4 hours ago, SpaceMouse said:

I got it to run. I just needed more booste- err, batteries. I even got my bigger one to run on batteries alone. Mostly.
qkYqrTc.jpg
It needed a FEW more batteries.

That's what I am talking about! I guess you are using the lead acid tech, which is going to be the starting tech, if I get CTT going. Did you try the "next tech" button in the VAB?

And thanks for testing/using my mod!!!

BTW, I am almost done with the load balancing algorithm and the warp issue (almost no recharching if you have few EC)

Edited by Blackline

Sitrep: implementing a load blancing algorithm which works independently on each module is harder than I thought. But I'm making some progress.

I also implemented a lowpassfilter on the shown charge values, to get a smooth behavior. All WIP, I'll update the binaries later this day.

4 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

It would be neat to see a version of this where it converts all installed battery modules to this framework. It would be a neat challenge to have the Real Battery mechanics as a factor in a career game.

The problem is imho, that everything is looking for the Resource "Electric Charge". I don't think, that can be skipped. BUT i already planned something similar: Change all stock batteries to "RealBattery" and give them some small EC reservoir, just to "feed" all the mods and parts out there. That won't even take that much effort, some changes in the mm.cfg.

A new release: LoadMaster

i now have implemented a load balancing algorithm: full batteries are discharged first and empty batteries are charged first. If the load gets high enough, all batteries give their best, thus some natural imbalance will always be there with different battery types.

https://github.com/blackliner/RealBattery/releases/tag/v1.1.3

Have Fun!!!

Found a nice example

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Graphene-Super-capacitor-2-7V-650F_1962992413.html

Features:

High Power Performance
Low ESR
Over1,000,000 duty cycles
Welded Terminal

Applications:

Pitching control system if wind turbine generator

EV/HEV

Hybrid Dire Trains

UPS/DVC

Heavy  Duty Machinry

Startup System

Specifications:

Operating Temp Range    -40°C to +65°C
Storage Temp range   -40°C to +70°C
Rated voltage  2.7Vdc , 2.85Vdc Rated voltage 
Capactiance range  3000F
case size 60mm Dia ×140mm length
Weight 0.55Kg
life at Room Temperature 10 years at rated voltage and 25°C
life Test   1000hours at rated voltage and +65°C
cycle Test   > 1 000 000 cycles
(rated to half rated voltage at  +25°C)
shelf Life  1000hours without voltage at +70°C

Threaded Terminal Electric Double Layer Super Capacitor 2.7V 650F,1000F,1200F,1500F,2000F,3000F Product Specifications:

Items Workering Voltage(V) Nominal Capacitance(F) Case Size (ΦD×Hmm) Capacitance Tolerance
Threaded Terminal Super Capacitor 2.7V 650F 51×60mm ±20%
Threaded Terminal Super Capacitor 2.7V 1200F 74×60mm ±20%
Threaded Terminal Super Capacitor 2.7V 1500F 85×60mm ±20%
Threaded Terminal Super Capacitor 2.7V 2000F 102×60mm ±20%
Threaded Terminal Super Capacitor 2.7V 3000F 137×60mm ±20%

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.