Help! my maneuver node's delta-v keeps increasing!

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/10/2016 at 5:56 PM, Thatguywholikesionengines said:

For some reason, when i make a maneuver node the delta-v for it increases with no input. Help please?

I too am getting the same thing. I'm just sitting there and the Delta V of the node is slowly increasing for no reason.

Edited by Redshift OTF

If this is a maneuver node for a very high delta-v transfer, it's possible there is a floating point error.  It's also possible that you've got an engine or an RCS thruster burning at a very low setting.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of the question though. 

Also, when i warp very fast, the planets are moved in their orbits, but their trail stays the same.

The planets always move in the same orbits, that's basically how orbits work.  And if you mean your ship's transfer orbit to a planet, assuming you have an intercept, the orbit is going to meet up with the planet when it gets there, it won't follow the planet's orbit though, because that's not how physics works.

10 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

If this is a maneuver node for a very high delta-v transfer, it's possible there is a floating point error.  It's also possible that you've got an engine or an RCS thruster burning at a very low setting.

I've checked and there are no engines or RCS firing or phantom forces affecting the craft as the periapsis and apoapsis are rock solid unchanging. The manoeuvre node doesn't even change, it's just the Delta V number slowly increasing, for small or big burns. I suspect it might be Mechjeb or Kerbal Alarm clock causing the problem as I just changed/added them so I'll do some tests. I don't have the OP's second problem so he will have to answer that one. Thanks for the reply though!

Edited by Redshift OTF

I have re-created this in a stock install of the game so it is not Mechjebs fault. It tends to happen on manoeuvre nodes used for interplanetary transfers, specifically nodes created in the far future, in a low orbit around a planet, (haven't tried moons), so it is more likely to be encountered when a player uses Mechjebs interplanetary transfer node creator.

I re-created this in stock by alt f12-ing a craft to Eeloo, creating a highly eccentric orbit, (10km periapsis & 100,000km apoapsis), warping the craft to apoapsis, placing a manoeuvre node on the periapsis and adding some prograde burn to the node to give it a value. The Delta V will jump around a lot and steadily increase over time.

Can someone move this to the stock technical support forum or do I need to create a new post there?

my understanding is that the game only calculates one orbit in advance for maneuver nodes, encounters with other celestial bodies beyond you, your origin planet and your destination object won't show up if your node is plotted more then one kerbin year from now.  Try waiting until just before your transfer window and re-plotting the maneuver.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.