Why Kerbin is so small compared to Earth

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Because the size of a planet affects delta-v requirements for orbit more than its gravity, so a smaller planet makes a easier game.  There are earth sized planet rescale mods that you can try to see for yourself. :) 

Wait! But the real question is DUN DUN

<DOES IT WORK WITH MECHJEB!>

Ive always thought, and i could be very wrong on this, it has to do with gameplay.   getting into a real earth orbit takes longer, so it requires more patience.

i would imagine if it was scaled up to earth size, the rest would sorta have to match.  which means longer burns again.

Just now, DD_bwest said:

Ive always thought, and i could be very wrong on this, it has to do with gameplay.   getting into a real earth orbit takes longer, so it requires more patience.

i would imagine if it was scaled up to earth size, the rest would sorta have to match.  which means longer burns again.

good point

4 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Because the size of a planet affects delta-v requirements for orbit more than its gravity, so a smaller planet makes a easier game.  There are earth sized planet rescale mods that you can try to see for yourself. :) 

Where can i get this mod

Yep, it was a design decision by KSP's creator, Felipe (HarvesteR, now moved on), to have a 1/10 scale solar system so it would be simpler and easier for rocketry newcomers. The delta-V requirements are so much less, and fuel tanks and engines don't have to have realistic specifications.

Real Solar System turns the stock fictional 1/10 size solar system into the actual full-sized one.

Edited by Laguna

58 minutes ago, Program Kerbal Space said:

[...]

Where can i get this mod

This is realism overhaul, meant to fully simulate real life rocket science.  All real planets are in this, at full size:

This is real solar system, which turns the kerbol system into the real solar system, but does not change anything else.  AFAIK, pretty hard without realism overhaul too, as stock mass fractions are quite low.

You can adjust said mass fractions with SMURFF to more realistic levels for use with real solar system:

Oh, and there's this:

Real planets at a stock size.

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.