[1.12.2]Sci-Fi Visual Enchancements V-1.6 (high performance alt to SVE)

panzer1b

2GYZgUI.png

Download Here

EVE is bundled, but be sure to check EVE page for updates as i will not be updating this mod often.

Pics: (some may be outdated, will get updated as i get good screenies)

GSG7hG6.png

RTmbOWB.png

QhbmWr6.png

iIY2nnb.png

90nDzJV.png

0CEcyKx.png

y978WHt.png

mvUO6Xe.png

IENHjJT.png

kapgvf7.png

29rMkUL.png

g6MrhZR.png

Features:

*Minimalistic design with focus on performance and full scatterer compatibility (not required to run mod, best to not use it when performance is an issue).

*All planets but Gilly and Bop (geometric limitation) have atmospheric scatter or glow effects rendered via EVE cloud layers.  Colors are generally highly saturated to give a more sci-fi universe feel compared to the more white and washed out realistic style used in most other mods like SVE.

*Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Jool and Laythe have cloud layers.  All volumetric layers (Kerbin, Laythe, Eve, ect) are kept minimalistic in thickness and useage to maximize performance while still creating as good an effect as possible.

*Some airless bodies have fog/dust effects.  Color choice is fairly varied, with some planets having highly colorful fog while others use a more greyish color.  Duna has dust storms and Eeloo has blizzards.  Moho has something akin to burning air.  Particle density is kept to a minimum to keep performance up.  While i cannot speak for everyone, my mid range laptop is capable of handling this mod as well as 2 1000 part warships in low orbit around any planet.

*Designed to work with scatterer mod, provided you remove the "atmospheres" of SciFiVE since those look janky with scatterer enabled and should not be used together.

Changelog:

V-1.6

*Vall redesigned from ground up, 2 layers of floating ice in 2 different layer patterns, deleted the ground particle effect as I dont want too much perf hit from 3 particle layers rendering simultaneously.

*Minor tweaks all around to layers to try and make things more consistent.  Nothing major, but a few things specifically Duna's dust have been slightly improved overall.

V-1.5

*File structure redone to make it easier for people to choose which effects they want or do not want without having to go the extra step and remove or edit configs. 
    Currently split into:
    atmospheres: kerbin, eve, lathe, jool, duna, consider disabling if you use scatterer for a very minor frame boost
    clouds: renders clouds on planets that use atmospheres effect
    glow: similar effect to atmospheres but applies to non atmospheric planets
    dust: renders all the 3d particles near the ground, very cinematic but eats much more frames then the other effects so if your GPU starts crying try disabling this 1st

*Overhaul of every glow layer.  Edges of almost all planets have a distinctive and noticeable glow effect.  Considerably improves contrast, light side actually looks like its reflecting light, dark side is truly dark.  I did my absolute best to minimize artefacting present from stock EVE bugs, but a few rare cases still exist...

*Many tweaks to particles to both improve visuals and cut down on needless lag (some effects like laythe rain is only visible right next to the camera, as its very hard to notice it far away in the 1st place given how light it is).  Altered axis of many particle fields to make them move in different directions and not always east.

*Improved laythe rain fx, now only visible at very short ranges, smaller particle size, slightly increased particle density to compensate (performance net increase).  Also changed laythe clouds a bit

*Added fire effect to moho, high velocity clouds occasionally zip past craft on the surface.  Tried not to overdo the effect so the particles are rather thin and spaced out, will look into improving this for later versions.  Also, removed moho's aura effect as it adds performance cost and is barely even noticeable during normal gameplay (you only really see it in very very high orbit around moho).  For those that really liked it use glow.bak instead of glow.cfg.

V-1.4

*Optimized to work alongside stock scatterer (download and install this separately, not packaged with this mod),

*Redone or tweaked textures for Kerbin, Duna, Eve, and Laythe.  Some new textures, some altered previous textures.

*Added uvnoise feature to all major cloud maps to help eliminate jagged edge problems.  Not a perfect solution, but it allows lower resolution detail textures and still keeps the cloud layers looking decent.

*Few alterations to colors, particle density, ect.

*Rain fx added to Laythe.

*Mod now broken up into 3 separate files, the base mod (required dependancy), with optional cloud and dust addons.  All come in a single zip file, but you can easily pick what features you want.

V-1.3

*Huge overhaul of Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe.  Completely redone textures (cloud maps, detail textures, particle textures).  Detail textures are vastly improved with 2 of em being 4096x4096 to allow a good variety of cloud styles within a single layer without creating obvious tiling issues.

*Brand new particle sprites for all planets with a bit more focus on overall quality.

*More varied particle maps which makes each planet have a different thickness and level of particle coverage, no more reusing the same detail textures for half the planets.

*Many other alterations too minor to bother mentioning, try it out to find out.

V-1.2

*New custom cloud maps in 4096x2048 (8192x4096 for Kerbin), unique to every planet.  Styles vary from purely sci-fi to semi-realistic depending on the planet for variety's sake.

*Three new higher resolution detail textures which are both high res and do not give tiling issues when viewed from far away.  Currently textures are for cumulus, cirrus, and a sci-fi one.

*Seven new particle textures.  Three are for clouds, all of which are wispy in nature and optimized to look good with very low particle density.  Four are for the surface effects which vary from some particulates floating around to full blown dust storms.

*Few minor color adjustments to improve looks with the new cloud textures.

V-1.1

*Improved detail textures.

*Minor changes to atmosphere and glow colors.

V-1.0

*Initial release.

Support:

Due to a lack of time in my life i am not offering support of any kind officially.  I may or may not update this mod when/if i get time on vacations or whatnot, but i currently have a full time job, family to take care of, and what little downtime i have available i cannot really spend on videogame modding.  It was a pleasure working on this mod (and a few others), but for now im officially on hiatus, and as such ive modified the licensing to allow anyone to do anything with the mod or resources solong as it remains freely available for everyone to enjoy (that means no using any of my work to make money without my explicit permission).  If you are having trouble installing, please post on the thread, and someone with technical knowledge on the forum should be able to help you.

You may use all art assets and parts of this mod as you please, credit is appreciated but its not like im gonna chase anyone down if they dont.  You are free to redistribute identical and modified copies of this mod.  Also, absolutely no commercial use without explicit permission period, im not making any money on this free mod and neither will anyone else.

And liscense for EVE itself which is packaged alongside mod:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
==================

Visual enhancements including clouds, lights, etc.

The project is under the following license:

The MIT License (MIT)

Copyright (c) 2013 Ryan Bray

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of
this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in
the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to
use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of
the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all
copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR
COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER
IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Edited by panzer1b
updated to V-1.6

That is beautiful...

That Kerbin, it is almost as if Scatterer is installed!

I feel this is the update where breathtaking visuals will rule most KSPers' lower-end computers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will there be Eeloo cyrovolcanism as an attempted planned feature, if there will also be lava eruption on that list?

Edited by LaytheDragon

Be adwised, motherboard integrated video cards still won't do :)

But this is definitely the most performance friendly visual pack so far since the first non-volumetric 2d clouds from EVE for KSP 0.24.

Edited by Enceos

A great idea, man! A less resource hungry visual mod sounds like something that many folks might like.

I´m definitely intrigued. I´ll build a KSP install around that mod for sure, give it a try.

Thanks for your work and keep it up

15 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

Will there be Eeloo cyrovolcanism as an attempted planned feature, if there will also be lava eruption on that list?

Quite possibly.  The reason i didnt mention that is because i have an effect on Eeloo that im already happy with and adding any more to Eeloo might cause performance issues.  That said, if there is interest in cryovolcanoes or similar activity (and if i can figure out how to do it fairly good looking) ill defenetely add an "alternative" effect for Eeloo that can be used instead of the blizzards (and i guess for those that dont have perf issues you can always run both).  I cant make it a priority, but its defenetely something ill consider after i get volcanoes on Moho working properly (if i can actually pull it off that is, easier said then done)...

5 hours ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

Hmmm... Looks nice, but it would be better in my opinion if Kerbin had more clouds, or maybe I'm just so used to SVE. :P

I really didnt want to make a clone of SVE (or any other mod for that matter) so i kinda went with my own gut feeling on what level of cloud coverage was good.  Obviously i cant really compare this to SVE since i started out looking at it from a completely different angle, with performance, and coolness being my primary functional requirements (not once was "realism" even considered when making this mod, although the end result did end up quite plausible looking even if a tad too colorful and saturated to be from a satellite camera). 

As for the cloud thickness, if you want to have more cloud cover on kerbin you have 2 options.  You can replace the kerbin2 texture file with another one (just grab the cloud texture you like the best from whatever mod you enjoyed before), or you can have the clouds.cfg config file changed to have the kerbin1 texture used (kerbin1 has alot more cloud coverage then kerbin2).  Just do the following:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-Low
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 6000
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/kerbin2
			_DetailScale = 150
			_DetailTex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/detail2
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			followDetail = True
			size = 3000,2
			maxTranslation = 500,1000,500
			area = 18000,4
			particleMaterial
			{
				_Tex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/particle/rgb
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
			}
		}
	}

And change it to the following:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-Low
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 6000
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/kerbin1
			_DetailScale = 150
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			followDetail = True
			size = 3000,2
			area = 18000,4
			particleMaterial
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
			}
		}
	}

Otherwise, you can wait for the next version which i plan to include a second cloud layer in kerbin atmo (with some high altitude wispy clouds) that should make the planet look much better imo...

Just now, Dafni said:

A less resource hungry visual mod sounds like something that many folks might like.

That was one of my primary goals when designing this.  Sadly it means i ended up missing out on certain "features" that other mods had like thick clouds, custom sunflares (the one and only thing i ever cared for in scatterer), multiple layers on planets giving an impression of thickness (look at what the old astronomer's pack did with jool, its WAY better then my work), ect.  The primary resource hogs which i just couldnt live without are the volumetric particles on the surfaces of many planets, and while they are still problematic for very bad hardware (intergrated GPUs im looking at you), the particle emitter density is kept at a bare minimum to give performance and still be enough to give the right impression when visiting alien infested worlds.

Anyways, i think it came out as advertised, runs on everything but the absolute worst computers, and for mid/high-range setups the mod shouldnt really affect your regular gameplay (and for me that involves part counts in excess of 1000 and space battles, about as resource intensive as it gets).  Cant say the same about SVE, it seems the combination of liberally used EVE cloud layers with scatterer just doesnt play well with high part counts.

1 minute ago, panzer1b said:

I really didnt want to make a clone of SVE (or any other mod for that matter) so i kinda went with my own gut feeling on what level of cloud coverage was good.  Obviously i cant really compare this to SVE since i started out looking at it from a completely different angle, with performance, and coolness being my primary functional requirements (not once was "realism" even considered when making this mod, although the end result did end up quite plausible looking even if a tad too colorful and saturated to be from a satellite camera). 

As for the cloud thickness, if you want to have more cloud cover on kerbin you have 2 options.  You can replace the kerbin2 texture file with another one (just grab the cloud texture you like the best from whatever mod you enjoyed before), or you can have the clouds.cfg config file changed to have the kerbin1 texture used (kerbin1 has alot more cloud coverage then kerbin2).  Just do the following:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-Low
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 6000
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/kerbin2
			_DetailScale = 150
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			followDetail = True
			size = 3000,2
			area = 18000,4
			particleMaterial
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
			}
		}
	}

And change it to the following:

OBJECT
	{
		name = Kerbin-Low
		body = Kerbin
		altitude = 6000
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = scifivisualenchancements/atmosphere/textures/kerbin1
			_DetailScale = 150
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			followDetail = True
			size = 3000,2
			area = 18000,4
			particleMaterial
			{
			}
		}
		layer2D
		{
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
			}
		}
	}

Otherwise, you can wait for the next version which i plan to include a second cloud layer in kerbin atmo (with some high altitude wispy clouds) that should make the planet look much better imo...

I understand, I guess it would be too similar. But I actually ended up already doing what you said, so I guess I did something right. :P

Besides that though, it certainly does perform well, so thumbs up from me :D

One thing I've noticed though is that on Eve the transition from scatterer to the deep purple is very sudden, and honestly gave me a bit of a heart attack. I understand that scatterer isn't normally a part of this mod, but it would still be cool to see a scatterer config made specifically for this, so people using this and scatterer (like myself) have good and hardly noticeable transitions. 

Keep in mind though that it seems to be just Eve that suddenly changes out of nowhere. Kerbin and Duna already have a smooth blending with the scatterer configs already, so it might just be Eve. Haven't tested Laythe though. :P

This is a great visual mod, thanks for making it. On the subject of clouds I think the density is perfect as is, the sunsets look great and you don't feel like you are always launching through a wall of water vapor. I look forward to the other additions in the "planned" list :)

Updated to V-1.1!

zkt10JL.png

*Improved some of the textures for Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe.

*Lowered particle density on some cloud layers, duna dust, and Eeloo blizzards.

*Laythe atmosphere made a bit more bluish then before to give it a starker contrast from Kerbin (which has also been made a hair more bluish).

a1H6aFc.png

All in all, performance should go up by a bit as i reduced the cloud layer density in a few locations.  Yeah it doesnt look as amazing as SVE's really thick clouds, but i actually like the less thick clouds to a degree (kinda fits with the mod better imo) now and the performance increase always helps.  I can always return it to 1.0 levels if you guys feel that the new less thick clouds dont look good enough.

I still have quite a bit to do before im truly happy with this, but enjoy the update for now...

Edited by panzer1b

Just got back from Minmus and was thoroughly impressed by the treatment you did there- I can't wait to explore further!

*as someone who has dabbled in 3D since the late 90's I always appreciate things that look good while being lightweight, keep up the good fight :wink:

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

Noticed a seam in the detail3 texture and fixed that in version 1.1 (im not gonna make a new version for such a minor fix).  be sure to redownload and use the new one for the fix (otherwise no changes have been made).

Spoiler

XzupxyH.png

Fixed seams and slight change to scaling to make it look better imo.

lst7bX8.png

Same texture on Eve.

I think we can all agree that this looks WAY better now...

@panzer1b 

After playing around with this mod, I found that it definitely performs better than stock EVE, and though I am too in love with Scatterer's looks to run this standalone and lagless, performance is still better than before, even with Scatterer still installed it appears (some rocket launches and the loading of an 900 part vessel with many lag-producing parts (much laggier than one of my other 900 part vessels) that will make me want to regret this and uninstall Scatterer like it always does when I use it, is required before I can say for certain and without the "it appears").

Not only that, it looks much better than stock EVE even when running at the same time as Scatterer. The glow layers are excellent, the clouds blend well (Laythe's are great, Jool's cloud textures, which I don't like otherwise in this mod and that don't feel sci-fi or realistic at all standalone, are superb with Scatterer).

Without Scatterer, it looks better than stock EVE too, at the same time as sci-fi, with a Duna that looks fantastic, and an Eve that has a perfect purple shade. I also like Laythe's look. I haven't glimpsed most of the dusts yet so I can't say much of them.

To fit this mod to run with Scatterer, I deleted the atmosphere layers, but left the beautiful glow layers. I also removed Duna's cloud volumetrics for performance reasons when running this alongside Scatterer, so there aren't two sets of volumetrics (clouds and dust) running at the same time there and lowering performance below the edge of green/yellow (and also so Duna's clouds are more like high-altitude wispy ones, which I personally like). In addition, I changed Minmus' dust color to be lighter as I originally imagined, sacrificing the alien look for something that is a good scenery backdrop. I hope you don't mind :wink:.

cPzAPUR.png

(a little picture of the Minmus Anti-Ore Scanner Gun, showcasing the Minmus glow effect of the mod, if you don't mind)

Edited by LaytheDragon

20 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

@panzer1b 

After playing around with this mod, I found that it definitely performs better than stock EVE, and though I am too in love with Scatterer's looks to run this standalone and lagless, performance is still better than before, even with Scatterer still installed it appears (some rocket launches and the loading of an 900 part vessel with many lag-producing parts (much laggier than one of my other 900 part vessels) that will make me want to regret this and uninstall Scatterer like it always does when I use it, is required before I can say for certain and without the "it appears").

Not only that, it looks much better than stock EVE even when running at the same time as Scatterer. The glow layers are excellent, the clouds blend well (Laythe's are great, Jool's cloud textures, which I don't like otherwise in this mod and that don't feel sci-fi or realistic at all standalone, are superb with Scatterer).

Without Scatterer, it looks better than stock EVE too, at the same time as sci-fi, with a Duna that looks fantastic, and an Eve that has a perfect purple shade. I also like Laythe's look. I haven't glimpsed most of the dusts yet so I can't say much of them.

Textures for Jool and Eve are temporary fillers, so you can expect much better quality once i actually make my own and dont reuse ones from another mod or something.  Eve will be redesigned slightly, with thicker and harder to see through clouds, but also with intermittent gaps here and there (i like to have at least some of the ground showing through cloud cover regardless of how thick the clouds are).  Im not entirely sure what im going to do with it, but i think thicker clouds coupled with a few clearings here and there will look better then the current highly transparent but solid clouds (never was a fan of blanketing a planet with so many clouds you cant see any surface features from orbit).  As for Jool, i have a few ideas but the most likely one ill implement is going to be a thick darkish layer under 1-2 upper layers.

pOWAGfw.png

While i have no intention to copy this, ive always liked the look of Jool in this mod (cant be certain as it was like 0.25, but i think it was better atmospheres), and i think something similar with probably higher contrast and more vibrant colors as well as a completely different cloud texture will end up what i turn Jool into.  Also, Duna will get much wispier and thinner clouds (which will probably end up loosing volumetric support once i thin em out as it makes no sense then).  My other idea with Duna is to redo the dust storms to be a bit more common and thicker while still having gaps in the dust so its something like 50/50 coverage and clear.  Right now i just used the kerbin1 cloud texture to vary the dust storm intensity somewhat from spot to spot, but itll be much better once i have a new texture for that purpose.

20 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

To fit this mod to run with Scatterer, I deleted the atmosphere layers, but left the beautiful glow layers. I also removed Duna's cloud volumetrics for performance reasons when running this alongside Scatterer, so there aren't two sets of volumetrics (clouds and dust) running at the same time there and lowering performance below the edge of green/yellow (and also so Duna's clouds are more like high-altitude wispy ones, which I personally like). In addition, I changed Minmus' dust color to be lighter as I originally imagined, sacrificing the alien look for something that is a good scenery backdrop. I hope you don't mind :wink:.

I do have the intention of eventually releasing a version of this that caters to people using scatterer, with custom scatterer configs to better fit with the mod (and ofc removed atmo layers as you dont really need em since scatterer does the same thing better).  I have plenty of work before im happy with this mod as it is (and KSP is but one of the games i play/mod), so dont expect a scatterer version anytime soon, but it something thats on the table of to-do once i get the base mod finished since there are enough people that can run scatterer alongside this without killing their machine (and lets face it, scatterer alongside EVE looks brilliant, just lags too much for those of us that either lack hardware, or like me, have playstyles that involve part counts of like 1000+).

As for the minmus layer, originally i had it so that the color fit perfectly with the landscape.  This was the case with all planets, but near the later versions i just thought it was too consistent with absolutely no variation from one planet to another, and changed a couple of the planets and moons to give a more varied look even if it nolonger fit the landscape 100%.  The 3 that i really made vibrantly colored are Minmus, Pol, and Vall (green, yellow, blue respectively), just for some variety.  Anyways, its perfectly fine for you or anyone for that matter to mess with the mod, afterall, why would EVE provide a control panel if not for people to modify every config for their own requirements/tastes.  Im just providing a base config that i personally liked, nothing against alterations being done to it (and im probably going to end up releasing at least 1 alternatie version of this mod that goes for highly realistic looks instead of the sci-fi feel the standard edition is going for).

@LaytheDragon

On 11/9/2016 at 5:57 PM, LaytheDragon said:

@panzer1b 

How did you remove the atmosphere layers? Also, if I wanted to remove the glow layers, how would I do so?

Edit: I am also getting an odd effect in Kerbin Orbit where the atmospheric extinction effects from Scatterer flicker or appear/disappear suddenly at certain viewing angles, and I'm not sure what the cause is... Any help would be much appreciated. I do not get this effect with just Scatterer installed.

Edited by klugeh01

On 11/14/2016 at 8:17 PM, klugeh01 said:

How did you remove the atmosphere layers? Also, if I wanted to remove the glow layers, how would I do so?

I went to GameData>ScifiVisualEnhancements>Atmosphere and opened the Glow CFG file in that folder. From there, I just deleted any sections labeled "[Body Name] atmo", or in other words, the glows for planets with atmospheres. If you want to remove the glow layers, delete the sections labeled "[Body Name] glow". If you want to remove both glows and atmospheric glow layers, remove the entire Glow.cfg file.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are not using this mod you are missing out- I became really bored with Minmus, it's so easy and kind of mushy, then I installed this mod. Now I land on it every chance I get and take pics :) This was an orbital rescue mission turned sight-seeing tour:

Spoiler

YC7Y39H.jpg

I can't wait to see the other planets! Are there any plans to do this to some of the OPM bodies?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.