[1.12.2]Sci-Fi Visual Enchancements V-1.6 (high performance alt to SVE)

panzer1b

4 hours ago, Ixamus said:

I have tried to download this to my 1.3.1 version of KSP, but for whatever reason I have not been successful. EVE does download, but it says that there is no configs. Otherwise I cant see any difference so I assume it didn't download. Is there anything I should know about installing, to manage to install this? So far I have only used CKAN so I have no prior experience of installing mods manually.

I have tried simply putting the file to my "Gamedata" folder. Is there more to this?

If you are on 1.3.1 you'd need the EVE download for that particular version I would think.

https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.2.2-1

You only want EVE, not the default configs as you are going to be using the Sci-fi configs. They both go in your Gamedata folder. Make sure you are putting the right folder in, most mod downloads come with a "dummy" Gamedata folder, you want the folder inside that folder.

23 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

If you are on 1.3.1 you'd need the EVE download for that particular version I would think.

https://github.com/WazWaz/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.2.2-1

You only want EVE, not the default configs as you are going to be using the Sci-fi configs. They both go in your Gamedata folder. Make sure you are putting the right folder in, most mod downloads come with a "dummy" Gamedata folder, you want the folder inside that folder.

Thank you! After brief fiddling around, I have successfully installed the mod. It works remarkably well. Stock Visual Enchancements had the habbit of crashing KSP every few hours and this looks mostly just as good, but does not crash.

There was some talk about how thick cloud coverage future versions should be, and I vote for relatively thin coverage. I find it important to be able to see what is down there.

Well, im gonna release what i have at the end of today, sofar Kerbin, Duna, Eve, Laythe is finished, ill prolly leave Jool as it (everything ive tried sofar doesnt really look as good as the texture it has from 1.3). 

Ive had alot of trouble with the rain fx, but i think ive gotten it to the point where it looks good from virtually every angle, except one very specific one where the rain falls sideways (no way around it, best i can do with stock eve limitations), and ofc it doesnt actually "fall" downwards, but acts more like a dust storm that happens to have a rainy texture which sorta points in the direction it should be pointing at when considering wind and such.  A little bit of a perf hit using it, but the effect is so good im willing to take that hit to make laythe something unique compared to say kerbin (and if you dont like the effect or dont want the perf hit you can always remove it via the EVE menu).

jdAnQ5K.png

Otherwise, it looks the same as before with a few minor tweaks.  I liked what i did with laythe before, and thus i kept the overall look, just added the much needed rain fx.

By popular request, Eve is thinner then before, but not so thin as to completely eliminate the challenge of landing (without scatterer you can clearly see the surface in certain areas, with scatterer a tad harder but still possible depending on the particular spot).  I lowered the upper layer and sorta integrated both so i only require a single 3D particle layer on that planet.  Its a little laggy, but there really isnt much i can do about it since Eve has always required a decently thick cloud cover to look right in my eyes.  Most of the lag though comes from scatterer (which uses a crapload of layers to make the atmo look good, and also considerable ocean lag when thats enabled.  So this mod alone isnt the problems really...

6KSvzdL.png

On a cloudy day its pretty well covered in purple fog/clouds.

luELRik.png

But ofc when you get a hole in the cloud texture, it looks alot more like this.

WGS0o4W.png

Otherwise, gonna finish a few touchups and upload V1.4 in 3 parts (base mod, cloud addon, dust addon).  This was you dont need to fiddle around as much in the configs if say you dont want clouds or ground fx (and it gives those with truly potato comps ability to disable almost every effect).  Its not quite exactly how far i wanted to get, but its all i copuld do in the very limited vacation time between jobs i had, enjoy...

Updates out, enjoy everyone...

As usual, im back to hiatus, just no time to do mods while you have a fulltime job and family to take care of.  Ill be around so if there is a major issue with the release ill try to fix it, but otherwise enjoy the update and if you are having trouble installing/using the mod, ask around the community and someone more active then me should be able to get your install workin.

Well i found a few bugs with the rain on Laythe, so temporarily feel free to disable it.  Ill take a look maybee next weekend, ill see when i get time...

Edited by panzer1b

On 20.3.2018 at 3:01 AM, guesswho2778 said:

@panzer1b NOOOOOO Dropbox isn't working this mod looks awesome can you add an alt link

I've had the same Problem. Are you using Firefox? Cause in Firefox it doesn't work for me, but in Google chrome it works. So, just try to use Chrome

Definitely my favourite visual mod. There are Mods that look more realistic - but with them i have like 3 FPS. This mod looks great and it works on my laptop without eating all of my memory :)

Although my framerates are decent with other visual packs, they make the fans on my "gaming laptop" scream like banshees! This one looks just as good IMHO, and my laptop doesn't have to struggle as hard to stay cool. Thanks for making this!

Well, i took a teeny look at it, and im not really sure what i can do with the laythe rain to make it look good, there is always somewhere on the planet where the rain is pointing wrong direction (not to mention a lack of vertical velocity).  Im not giving up yet, but sofar no luck doing anything good to it.  If anyone has any ideas, im happy to hear it, as im pretty much stuck with being unable to properly orientate the effect.

Aside from that, ive made a very small set of tweaks here and there, and ill update the mod when i can manage to fix the stupid rain (which i really really want to have visible in the game as it looks incredible when it happens to fall in the right direction).  I thinned dunas dust storms a teeny bit (helps cut down artefacting and makes it a teensy bit less suicidal to land in valleys), but still kept it thick enough to actually block visibility by a huge deal (as in you dont see very far away from you).

Edited by panzer1b

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Liofa said:

The dust storm on Duna is a bit intense, I couldn't even see the mountains close by. Is it the same all over the planet? If so, is there a way of switching it off or reducing the effect?

You can switch it off my opening the EVE menu with Alt+0, going to clouds and remove the dust storm.

6 minutes ago, PaperPlanets said:

is there a way to remove the atmosphere or something? i love the clouds but i want to use this with scatterer

Remove the config called atmosphere.cfg or something. I'm on mobile right now, so I cannot get the exact name. Also it works fine with scatterer.

19 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

This is the best visual mod I've ever seen that isn't guaranteed to cause my computer to explode, then melt, but I have one question. Are there any bioluminescent thingies around Laythe? 

i think the bioluminecent things are only on spectra

This looks great for my potato-laptop *cough* i5 *coughcough* 4GB RAM *cough*!!!!

How do I install? I assume it's just a matter of dropping the right folders in gamedata and unzipping, but I might be wrong. What should I do??

On 4/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, panzer1b said:

Aside from that, ive made a very small set of tweaks here and there, and ill update the mod when i can manage to fix the stupid rain

You're attention to detail really shows, and really I super appreciate it! But TBH I think it all looks great. Thanks for taking your time with this MOD it is my favorite, and always the first one I install.

Is there a way to reduce the density of clouds on Kerbin?? I want the clouds but I don't like the quantity of clouds you get by default in the config. Also,how can I make Kerbin a little less blue?

Edited by RealKerbal3x

• 2 weeks later...

This is literally a lifesaver, I don't have a potato computer, but scatterer just kills my fps. At least I don't have to bear stock graphics any more :D

*EDIT* Ok, so I've installed the mod and dropped SiFiVE-1.4 into my GameData folder, but nothing has happened, what am I doing wrong?

*EDIT 2* never mind I was being an idiot, I've fixed it now.

Edited by Ol’ Musky Boi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.