[1.12.2]Sci-Fi Visual Enchancements V-1.6 (high performance alt to SVE)

panzer1b

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 12:06 AM, guesswho2778 said:

i have a massive LACK of duna dust storms

Its probably because you landed either way up north, or happened to land where the storm was not present at that time.  Timewarp and you should get some dust storms eventually on almost every area that isnt the poles or a very tall mountain (for best effect land in one of the lower valleys, you wont be able to see squat when it starts up.

On 7/29/2018 at 1:36 PM, panzer1b said:

Its probably because you landed either way up north, or happened to land where the storm was not present at that time.  Timewarp and you should get some dust storms eventually on almost every area that isnt the poles or a very tall mountain (for best effect land in one of the lower valleys, you wont be able to see squat when it starts up.

thanks

On 7/29/2018 at 2:32 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

OK @panzer1b would it even be possible to run this on integrated graphics without lag? Just wondered what you'd have to do.

Works well enough on my 5 year old intel chip, though I wouldn't  say KSP itself runs entirely with out lag. Try it out!  - though you might have to restrain yourself in other mods that are computation heavy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I really liked your work on this mod, and I recently installed a planet mod called ExtraSolar. I was using SciFiVE but it only gave the stock planets clouds; so after some editing, I added clouds to those planets with this mod (they did include an SVE required Visual Overhaul, but I just did this because my computer is garbage). I was wondering if I could post this mod to their page, because this is your mod, and I only did a little bit of tweaking to add clouds to other planets because I know a lot of KSPer's who enjoy your work and would probably enjoy this sort of thing for the mod ExtraSolar. If you say no, it's fine, I'm just asking. :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:01 AM, spacecoyote said:

Hey! I really liked your work on this mod, and I recently installed a planet mod called ExtraSolar. I was using SciFiVE but it only gave the stock planets clouds; so after some editing, I added clouds to those planets with this mod (they did include an SVE required Visual Overhaul, but I just did this because my computer is garbage). I was wondering if I could post this mod to their page, because this is your mod, and I only did a little bit of tweaking to add clouds to other planets because I know a lot of KSPer's who enjoy your work and would probably enjoy this sort of thing for the mod ExtraSolar. If you say no, it's fine, I'm just asking. :)

Thanks!

Liscense lets you do whatever you please with the art assets, so go nuts.

I just dont have much mod time anymore so i let the community do what they will with my mod and perhaps someday ill make another update, but sofar im fairly happy with what i put together so i dont think im gonna spend loads of time on it (unless EVE comes out with proper support for rain, and glowing fog/cloud textures so i can make actually decent laythe rain, and put volcanoes on moho as i always wanted to do from day1).

Please don't ever abandon Scifi @panzer1b! I need it. :o I've been using this visual pack for prolly oh; 3/4 of my thousands of hours of playtime. I would literally not be able to play without it.

I'm also neither ready or able to learn EVE configs. But I will if you force my hand! ...Lol.

Seriously though, thanks for all the work you've put into it so far, you've done more than anyone could ask or expect. Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements is KSP to me and many others I'm sure; so thank you.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

38 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Please don't ever abandon Scifi @panzer1b! I need it.

Considering this is a mod i wont play KSP without anymore, im never gonna completely abandon it (unless one day i stop playing videogames entirely which isnt gonna be anytime soon).  That said, i have 0 plans for further development of this mod (besides keeping it functional when KSP updates) since ive about exhausted every possible effect i can with the mod that is actually supported by EVE itself and doesnt cause massive lag issues when in use.  I did sorta consider making a ultra-HD version of the mod a few months ago, but i decided against it since then the performance would be like SVE and thus limited to only running with lower part count warships (and its pretty much impossible to make something well armored and armed under 200 parts regardless of construction style, and i like my fleet scale stock space battles).

So yeah, ill keep the mod alive (if only to make myself happy as i wont play KSP without it anymore), but its very unlikely ill be adding anything or doing major changes to the mod itself until EVE comes out with features that support the 2 effects id love to have, properly done rain, and volcanoes (or just glowing volumetic particles in general, currently we only have glowing 2d layers and not 3d layers which is sorta lame).

I'm with you, I don't think it really needs anything else (not that I'd complain if you added something) It's just about perfect the way it is.

TBH my current computer could run just about anything I threw at it, but Sci Fi just looks better than the competition for next to no cost. Rain would be awesome though, I'm not gonna lie.

Y'know all this time I've been using your mod I never checked out your military ship line, very cool! Are they all stock? It looks like the weapon systems are at least, I love making stock weapons systems as well, although no where near as nice as yours. Here's a quick pic of my "KerbinMissileDefensePlatform1" floating above some of your beautiful Sci-Fi clouds.

Spoiler

2B3FC63353147D9B1461311BBEE4966BACCE1E74

You'll notice one of the missiles was test fired. Entirely on purpose mind you...:blush:

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Y'know all this time I've been using your mod I never checked out your military ship line, very cool! Are they all stock? It looks like the weapon systems are at least, I love making stock weapons systems as well, although no where near as nice as yours. Here's a quick pic of my "KerbinMissileDefensePlatform1" floating above some of your beautiful Sci-Fi clouds.

Reveal hidden contents

2B3FC63353147D9B1461311BBEE4966BACCE1E74

You'll notice one of the missiles was test fired. Entirely on purpose mind you...:blush:

Yeah i really like stock space battles, and even with the advent of BDA (which i do use for tank battles) ive never truly implemented mods for space combat as its both a challenge to do (compared to assigning armor values to whatever ship you made and slapping on some railguns), and much more interesting since you actually get to see every single round dealing damage (or failing to do so if it was badly designed) to a ship and tearing chunks off.

apPcZjw.png

w9JG2oH.png

That said, that thread is super outdated, as most of my "armor development" seems to have stagnated with no design ive come up with able to stand up to my SK-IV Nebula Class (complete redesign of the SK-104 just retaining similar exterior) i made a while back.  Its absurdly low on parts (the hull itself without weapons is like ~120 parts), weighs a mear 60-70t depending on loadout, and has almost 3000 dV while retaining acceptable levels of TWR to go interplanetary in a single burn.  The other ships on the thread arent bad by any means (a year ago or so they were super strong in just about every way), but compared to the MK-2 armor plated SK-IV they just suck in both part count and survivability, and most of the weapons on them are bad these days.  SRMs (short range missile or what i call any variety of ibeam/girder + sepatrons) used to be the best weapon against any ship, now ive found that RT-5 based weapons are the best since they offer the best combination of part count (4 parts per shot is nothing), damage (not quite instakill but a few of them fired in sequence will end any reasonably sized ship), and weight.  Only thing keeping SRMs in service for me is the fact that they are insanely small cross section wise and can be packed tightly in a very small area and that RT-5s are super large and you just cant get more then 4 stacks on the front of any reasonably sized vessel, and stacks are always more vulnurable then loads of super tiny ibeam weapons spread out everywhere.

I also discontinued the impulse cannons.  They were an attempt at making ships more part count efficient (only 3 parts per round, ibeam, decoupler, docking port), but having cfg edited decouplers with super high jettision force felt a little cheaty so i reserve their use only for vessels that are already so stupidly high on part count i cant afford to put any conventional weapons on them (mostly command ships get these as those all have detailed interiors and lag really badly).  That and they sucked in general firepower wise and couldnt engage every target as effectively as a sepatron powered ibeam could (engage up close for lower impact velocity which is better against very thin targets).

Anyways, sorry for the off-topic stuff, guess i better get back to making a few ships, i have a few ideas that may or may not obsolete the SK-IV which ive been really trying to do recently just because not a single one of my ideas seems to have exceeded that thing's performance level when you look at the entire package (i could always get one aspect superior, armor, weapons, ect, but it always resulted in massive part count and inferior general stats).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, panzer1b said:

Considering this is a mod i wont play KSP without anymore, im never gonna completely abandon it (unless one day i stop playing videogames entirely which isnt gonna be anytime soon).  That said, i have 0 plans for further development of this mod (besides keeping it functional when KSP updates) since ive about exhausted every possible effect i can with the mod that is actually supported by EVE itself and doesnt cause massive lag issues when in use.  I did sorta consider making a ultra-HD version of the mod a few months ago, but i decided against it since then the performance would be like SVE and thus limited to only running with lower part count warships (and its pretty much impossible to make something well armored and armed under 200 parts regardless of construction style, and i like my fleet scale stock space battles).

So yeah, ill keep the mod alive (if only to make myself happy as i wont play KSP without it anymore), but its very unlikely ill be adding anything or doing major changes to the mod itself until EVE comes out with features that support the 2 effects id love to have, properly done rain, and volcanoes (or just glowing volumetic particles in general, currently we only have glowing 2d layers and not 3d layers which is sorta lame).

If I may ask for some IMHO not so hard work, I would really enjoy have the mod handled on CKAN with proper dependencies like EVE which is already there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using SVE on my Laptop... (Its not quite a potato, maybe call it a pumpkin or watermelon) Hmm I just realized its a 6 year old laptop.

In any case, I like playing with OPM too. But with SVE my game clock consistently flickers between Green and yellow. (mostly yellow) :(

Previously I never used any of the VE mods, but having tried SVE I find I want to keep the visuals. :)

I wondered if you (or anyone else) have created the files/configs to include OPM? 

EDIT: after Googling I found an old thread, I will have to do some checking to see if its still working.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

Greetings!This mod is awesome.I really like everything;but Kerbin's clouds not realistic.I changed it with SVE Med resolution Kerbin cloud map,and its better.But it very decreases fps.This mod would be better if you change cloud map.

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

This mod isn't really designed to be realistic, rather to be more cartoonish and fit the 'Kerbal' style of the game, hence the 'Sci Fi' in the name. If you want a more realistic visual enhancement mod I'd recommend SVE or similar, if your computer can handle it.

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Hey! Welcome to the forums!

This mod isn't really designed to be realistic, rather to be more cartoonish and fit the 'Kerbal' style of the game, hence the 'Sci Fi' in the name. If you want a more realistic visual enhancement mod I'd recommend SVE or similar, if your computer can handle it.

I replaced avp cloud map to sci fi.Just pure awesomeness!

2 hours ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

This mod should have auroras:)

Its one of those things i thought about, but couldnt justify the performance by adding yet another texture layer that needed to be rendered to the planets that are already more laggy in general due to volumetric clouds (any planet that would have auroras would also have atmosphere and thus clouds of some sort).

If i actually was willing to spend alot of time on this mod id have added a few more additions that people could install if their machine could handle it (originally planned hurricanes as 1, auroroas as another, volcanoes as a 3rd even if itd be screwy looking cause EVE doesnt support glowing volumetrics, ect), but my real life situation leaves me with so little free time the most i can actually say ill do is keep this updated so that it functions in KSP in future updates (mostly because i wont leave the SPH/VAB in KSP without the mod installed as stock KSP looks like garbage and has 0 immersion).  So yeah, if you guys really want this stuff, you are free to do it yourself (just copy the effects out of SVE or another mod and run alongside this one, EVE even lets you run SVE and SciFiVE simultaneously if you can bear the lag of twice as many clouds as needed).

26 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Its one of those things i thought about, but couldnt justify the performance by adding yet another texture layer that needed to be rendered to the planets that are already more laggy in general due to volumetric clouds (any planet that would have auroras would also have atmosphere and thus clouds of some sort).

If i actually was willing to spend alot of time on this mod id have added a few more additions that people could install if their machine could handle it (originally planned hurricanes as 1, auroroas as another, volcanoes as a 3rd even if itd be screwy looking cause EVE doesnt support glowing volumetrics, ect), but my real life situation leaves me with so little free time the most i can actually say ill do is keep this updated so that it functions in KSP in future updates (mostly because i wont leave the SPH/VAB in KSP without the mod installed as stock KSP looks like garbage and has 0 immersion).  So yeah, if you guys really want this stuff, you are free to do it yourself (just copy the effects out of SVE or another mod and run alongside this one, EVE even lets you run SVE and SciFiVE simultaneously if you can bear the lag of twice as many clouds as needed).

I replaced sve auroras.Its working,but aurora waving is so "pixelated"(you will understand if you see that auroras).Just look at Galileo's Planet Pack's auroras,(i played it)they are very realistically waving.But sadly,GPP visuals not performance-friendly[i'm using 4-8k textures in Sci Fi(40-50 fps)but in GPP 2k clouds decreasing fps to 20].Just try to copy GPP auroras to Sci-Fi visuals.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Eaten by Black Hole
Letter issue

3 hours ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

This mod should have auroras:)

Welcome to the forums!

Also, please don't quote the entire OP when you respond to a thread - it makes the thread difficult to read for everyone, as well as harder on those of us with slower internet connections.

Again, welcome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.