[1.12.2]Sci-Fi Visual Enchancements V-1.6 (high performance alt to SVE)

panzer1b

I noticed somethig weird. I wasn't happy with the performance of SVE (Scatterer installed or not didn't make a lot of a difference, so I left it installed), so I installed Sci-Fi VE. It performed even worse. But without Scatterer, Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements performs pretty well (except for my Minmus base, where it gives me 5-10 FPS with or without Scatterer).

So, is it possible that SVE + Scatterer performs better than SFVE + Scatterer? Are there some settings I can tweak? I'm running KSP on Linux on a Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB RAM and a Radeon RX470 with 8 GB VRAM. I thought these were pretty decent specs...

• 3 weeks later...

@panzer1b  Been looking at this for the last few days.  Love it.  Are there any legacy versions of this mod somewhere like Spacedock?  Wondering if there is a version for KSP 1.3.1, or if this mod is tied to EVE/Scatterer versions alone?

Searching this thread lead me to believe that it should be tied to EVE/Scatterer, but I'm also unsure if I need both, one, or none to get this to work...

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, infinite_monkey said:

I noticed somethig weird. I wasn't happy with the performance of SVE (Scatterer installed or not didn't make a lot of a difference, so I left it installed), so I installed Sci-Fi VE. It performed even worse. But without Scatterer, Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements performs pretty well (except for my Minmus base, where it gives me 5-10 FPS with or without Scatterer).

So, is it possible that SVE + Scatterer performs better than SFVE + Scatterer? Are there some settings I can tweak? I'm running KSP on Linux on a Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GB RAM and a Radeon RX470 with 8 GB VRAM. I thought these were pretty decent specs...

EVE+SciFi is very performance friendly; Scatterer is the culprit here.

On 2/27/2019 at 12:40 AM, smotheredrun said:

@panzer1b  Been looking at this for the last few days.  Love it.  Are there any legacy versions of this mod somewhere like Spacedock?  Wondering if there is a version for KSP 1.3.1, or if this mod is tied to EVE/Scatterer versions alone?

Searching this thread lead me to believe that it should be tied to EVE/Scatterer, but I'm also unsure if I need both, one, or none to get this to work...

You need EVE.

Scatterer is a separate mod that is optional.

On 3/24/2019 at 3:38 PM, acr_8133 said:

@panzer1b the planets’ colors feels too unsaturated, any fix or tips? I have this and scatterer installed.

That's Scatterer, which is the exact reason I don't like/use it myself.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

EVE+SciFi is very performance friendly; Scatterer is the culprit here.

It thought so. I just wondered why Scatterer seems to perform better with SVE than with SciFi.

Also, is it possible to tweak the colors via some config file? I find Duna's color a little bit too vibrant, looks like the ground is glowing... Plus, I can barely see the impact indicators from KER and Trajectories :D

Edited by infinite_monkey

Don't know why this is happening, but when I reach a certain altitude (60kmish), the clouds completely dissapear, but comes back after reaching a certain altitude.

7521A84D9A17F0366FB17DE87E652B81608E00AC

Also, are the clouds supposted to be showing up on Kerbin while on the menu as well? Just curiosity, cause Kerbin didn't had any change whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 10:13 PM, Ratwerke_Actual said:

@panzer1b Thank you for this visual setup!

I have spent the last hour playing around with it, in 1.7.0. So far, seemingly stutter free on an MSI laptop w/8th gen i5; a GTX 1050ti GPU and 8g RAM.

Beautiful mod!

Same exact setup i have btw except i got a i7 in it instead of the i5 (insignificant price difference for a bit more kick CPU wise).  Mostly went with the CPU cause i have a tendency to go nuts on part counts (even when i make each ship itself under 300 it adds up super fast when you have entire fleets shooting each other).

YGIsXaQ.png

r7njBi6.png

fVx8LvT.png

OgMEY6g.png

GuvkOEc.png

Sofar moved my main forces to Vall (after failing miserably at Eve and loosing 3 capital ships to aerobraking) and havent had any real lag issues despite all the ships together being in excess of 1500 parts (albeit the most i had on a single ship is ~1000, and that being the shipyard itself i set up around vall.  Shipyard is only 200, but the additions to it quickly brought the parts up there, and ive really started making more asthetic design choices then before meaning even more parts that prolly shouldnt have been there in the 1st place (best example of that being the webbing made out of like 50 struts with lots of small fuel tanks under it on the fuel tanker i docked to the shipyard).

nQmlAr6.png

So yeah, given that im now running SciFiVE, Scatterer, some texture pack for planet surfaces, and KS3P, all with minor if any lag (and thats only when i bring something massive near that shipyard) im quite happy with KSP in 1.7.  While its not quite as amazing as that red nebula skybox i had before, the stock 1.7 skybox is ages better then the old one and is actually good enough that to this day im using it instead of modded ones.

I may not be a huge fan of everything KSP is doing now, but i will say the revamps are making it a much more polished looking game.  Now if only they could fix the stock land textures and make the sunflare not look like garbage and i could dump some more mods...

Edited by panzer1b

4 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

When I am using a 2.5x Rescale, there are no clouds? is it because the clouds need to be modified somehow to put them at the right altitude? I suspect that the clouds are in fact present, but are far below the ground?

Are you actually using the Rescale mod? It should resize your EVE configs.

• 1 month later...

Hi, whenever I run this I have absolutely atrocious FPS problems. My system has an i7-8750H hex-core processor and a GTX 1050 4gb (it's a laptop). Have confirmed no downclocking, overheating, or anything similar is happening and the Nvidia GPU is definitely in use. Problems are especially bad whilst in atmosphere. Any help is appreciated, and if you need me to attach any files just let me know which ones.

So I just installed this mod along with scatterer, and I'm loving it so far, aside from one weird bug where Duna gets these odd gradient rings that follow the camera around. also the Mun seems very.. blue. But I kind of like that. Oh and orbits render through Jool but that is a very minor issue for me. Does anyone else get this issue with Duna? Could it be Scatterer not liking something?

J1cjyJ9.png

This mod is absolutely fantastic!  I am a huge fan.  Happy plowing through all of the planets in 1.7

Question, how compatible is this with Outer Planet Mod?  I know OPM has an EVE bolt-on visual enhancement, but it lists Scatterer as a dependency in CKAN which I know doesn't play well with this mod.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:15 PM, Caelus5 said:

So I just installed this mod along with scatterer, and I'm loving it so far, aside from one weird bug where Duna gets these odd gradient rings that follow the camera around. also the Mun seems very.. blue. But I kind of like that. Oh and orbits render through Jool but that is a very minor issue for me. Does anyone else get this issue with Duna? Could it be Scatterer not liking something?

J1cjyJ9.png

Yeah, I had the same issue too. I also sighted the rings (not as clearly though) on Jool. When I removed scatterer the issues disappeared. I think the issues may be on scatterer's side.

Update: 

I have tested scatterer with Astronomer's Visual Pack and the rings also appear. This is definitely an issue on scatterer's side.

Edited by RocketSimplicity

13 hours ago, RocketSimplicity said:

I think the issues may be on scatterer's side

I'm starting to think so too, I'm not the only one having these two mods not play nice with each other. It's a shame too, from the surface of Kerbin it's so beautiful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, kerbonauts.
I have a problem with this mod. The GPU load is approaching 100%, and the computer is shutting down. This has already happened twice. And the temperature of the video card is normal.
The PC has the following characteristics:
AMD Processor 3.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
16 Gb RAM
I updated the NVIDIA driver 1 month ago.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 9:52 PM, The-Doctor said:

Haven't heard much information that much regarding this, hope it isn't discontinued

38 minutes ago, Lucaspec72 said:

Is this compatible with 1.8 ?

If this mod only delivers config files for EVE, it should be compatible still - just use an up-to-date version of EVE from its own mod thread in that case. (Cannot check, the download fails for me.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.