A random status for career mode

One of the nice thing I like about SimCity (since classic from Maxim, btw) is that occasionally there are disaster, which force you to confront them.

Perhaps KSP can implement something similar for Career mode, which also force people to adapt instead of "SSTO all the time" or "Rocket up all the time."

Example would be "Funding Cut and Freeze" for 42 hours (1 kerbal week). Because of the extra accounting, you cannot afford to paid for the nice rockets, but you can go cheap by using SRB for first stage and launch REALLY small probes. Or runway is being using for some Presidental campaign and thus is unavailable for a while.

The keypoint is that it may limit options, but should not completely prevent launches or builds. So players can still go to SPH or VAB to design the ship, but unable to launch it, for example; or have tracking station temporary drop a level.

Just make them a short-lasting mission. It's pretty simple.

There's your station and you need to evacuate the crew (for whatever reason). You only have 48 hours to do so. If you don't then your reputation goes down.

Edited by Veeltch

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

With time warp being possible up to 100,000x, temporary limitations aren't much of an issue. Just hit fast forward until it goes away.

That being said, I like the concept of your idea. But it might be better to enforce it via the contract system instead.

Instead of time limiting it you could "This funding cut stays in tact till you have proven that you can put a rocket into orbit with the limited funds available"

8 hours ago, Daid said:

Instead of time limiting it you could "This funding cut stays in tact till you have proven that you can put a rocket into orbit with the limited funds available"

Well, the problem is there's no real annual/monthly funding. IMO such mechanic would be beneficial for the career mode as right now I (and probably some other people too) end up early in the career with either too much money or not enough to launch anything. I guess that's not a problem since there are initial rewards for accepting contracts, but they tend to be insufficient. Especially when the rewards are set to low and you can have only two of them active at once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.