Hardest or near impossible contracts, you've gotten.

Dooz

6 minutes ago, Aegolius13 said:

Yikes.  I am working on one much like this but without the craft recovery, and it is tough enough just to get the kerbal.   Might be my highest delta v craft ever, but thankfully it's ideal ion territory.

Maybe you could use an Eve gravity assist to bring your orbit down closer?

Use chemical or LV-N for the injection burn, then ion for circulation, getting close and the return burn, atmosphere to slow down and land, for circulation and return let mechjeb do it. 
Without mechjeb, simply adjust the dV of craft to be equal to the dV of the burn by blocking off tanks and move fuel around. then point at target and full throttle :) 

Returning with an 3.5 ton lab is another issue. its on hold for me as the orions are stupid expensive to run. Might as well colonize Moho as I will get close :)

3 hours ago, Xyrus said:

Technically this doesn't really count since a) it was back in the early days of contracts and b) I was kind of messing with them a bit for potential modding purposes. But I had a contract to get a surface sample from the sun. :P

I stopped messing with the contracts after that. 

Well that is an interesting one, Yes you could land during the night but the dV cost would be stupid high. 

Mods is dangerous. One guy got an rescue an kerbal and his
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/115691-contract-please-recover-this-orbital-forest/ 
250 ton orbital habitat. 

I had a surface rescue from the Mun.  Derelict craft was on a very steep incline on the side of a big crater.  I landed close by, on the rim.  EVA'ed to go rescue to stranded Kerbal.  As soon as I got into physics range the pod leapt into the air and exploded killing the hapless Kerbal.  ( This was in 1.1.3 ).

On 10/31/2016 at 11:34 AM, Hodari said:

I don't usually see any "impossible" contracts or even truly hard ones.  Normally the worst ones I get are some of the very early career, overly specific part testing contracts(like testing a Juno at 25315-25335m and between 240-243m/s) or rescue contracts where they start out in a high, but manageable Kerbin orbit, but by the time you've actually gotten around to trying to rescue them, they got too close to the Mun and were ejected out of the Kerbin system altogether.

At least they'd be alive.  One rescue contract did not reveal how dire the situation was until after I accepted it and could see how the capsule's path intersected with Mun's SOI.

So I hurled a rocket at the problem and tried to save the day before it was too late.  Even though I actually had days, the finality of that deadline felt like I had no time at all.

But, damn, it was fun.

44 minutes ago, Trann said:

At least they'd be alive.  One rescue contract did not reveal how dire the situation was until after I accepted it and could see how the capsule's path intersected with Mun's SOI.

So I hurled a rocket at the problem and tried to save the day before it was too late.  Even though I actually had days, the finality of that deadline felt like I had no time at all.

Had one kerbal with pod in an Ike crossing orbit, Luckily I had an base on Ike and an topped up Duna lander so I did an intercept. That Kerbal can be happy it was not an simple plant flag and collect science mission. 

Land 2000 units of ore from Mun on Kerbin. Within next 4 weeks. I didn't even have the lab unlocked at the time, just got the tiny static solar panel and came back from the first Minmus flyby. I don't know what miracle would let me unlock the drill and ore tanks on time.

1 hour ago, rudi1291 said:

Had several contracts asking me to eject Class E asteroids from the solar system...

Not actually too hard, you can mine all the fuel you need right from the asteroid itself, and it gets lighter the more you mine.

22 hours ago, storm_soldier2377 said:

Mine X amount of ore from Eve and take it to Gilly.

...but when you read into the contract details, you'll notice:

- mine X ore on Eve

- have X ore in Gilly orbit.

Send two miners. One to Eve, one to Gilly. Make the Eve one a no-return one.

Mine the required amount of ore on Eve. Leave it.

Mine the same amount of ore on Gilly. Put it in orbit for 10 seconds.

Done.

On 11/1/2016 at 0:03 AM, RocketBlam said:

The worst I got, that I accepted, was a contract to rescue a Kerbal from the orbit of the sun. I thought "ok, sounds challenging, but not too bad. He's probably in an orbit like Duna or something." No, his orbit was past Jool. And it was retrograde. He was orbiting in the opposite direction of the planets.

I think I needed a vehicle that, by the time it got into Solar orbit, still had something like 10,000 D/V.

10k?  Easily done as long as you have nukes, ions, and at that distance, fuel cells.  'Could do it with nukes alone, but that'd get chunky.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Rock3tman_ said:

I had to place a satellite in orbit around Duna at almost exactly Ike's altitude. Problem was that the orbit was retrograde, no matter what I did the sat would collide with Ike.

you could put the satellite into orbit, maintain stability for 10 seconds, then once contract is complete move the satellite to a safe orbit.

On 31/10/2016 at 4:14 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Makes me think of The Ultimate Challenge. Still haven't beaten that one.

I did by sending out multiple craft each with a lander and a transfer stage ahead of time and only landing an okto probe core everywhere. If you have landed and returned from Eve and done Jool 5 it`s not much harder at all.

2 hours ago, Leafbaron said:

you could put the satellite into orbit, maintain stability for 10 seconds, then once contract is complete move the satellite to a safe orbit.

Believe me, I really tried. Problem was, coming from a transfer orbit to Ike altitude took time, and if I waited more than one orbit I would end up with an Ike intercept. I got it after about 10 tries.

Nothing "impossible" yet, but I have several Mun landing Tourism contracts that I won't accept.  They can just forget it - the contract is not lucrative enough to justify all the difficulty.  So far, only three Kerbals have set foot on the Mun, and one hasn't returned yet!

Theobles is still in orbit... and Jeb's landing may or may not have been an alternate timeline / parallel universe.  Val is the only one that's been there and back in one piece / timeline.

Eheheh. 90% of contracts are laughable. The only ones I do are the milestones/world's firsts, the rover driving ones for fun and high-G/suborbital tourism for the rep (I might start doing Kerbin space hotel tours once I get these offered). I don't even bother trying to search for anything else.

On 12/13/2016 at 0:16 PM, Leafbaron said:

Sounds to me like the contract was intended to be an unsafe orbit.  Maybe such contracts should include a final line item about "Probe to be destroyed on impact with Ike"

3 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

Sounds to me like the contract was intended to be an unsafe orbit.  Maybe such contracts should include a final line item about "Probe to be destroyed on impact with Ike"

The problem is the game doesn't know it would crash because the objectives are always random (with a few exceptions).

9 hours ago, Jarin said:

I had to rescue someone from LKO.

That's Low Kerbol Orbit. 

I wonder if its possible to get a contract to test something in LKA, Low Kerbol Atmosphere

I'd like to see someone try that, though technically I think you can actually run jet engines in Kerbol's atmosphere because it has oxygen for some reason, I guess you would just need a fair few radiators...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.