ThePhoenixSol

[1.2] Sensible Tech Tree 1.0 (12/18/16)

Recommended Posts

 Sensible Tech Tree

Version 1.0

Sensible Tech Tree is a mod similar to things like Historical Progression, and Unmanned before manned. The purpose of this mod is to completely rebuild the stock tech tree into something more sensible. Things such as planes from the start, probes before manned, and other such things that just flat make sense.

 

unknown.png

 


Features

- A whole new, more sensible tech tree has been built to replace the stock.

- Most plane parts can be used from the start of a save, as before touching rocketry, we had planes for a long time.

- Sounding rockets, are the first bit of rocketry you obtain, with probes as the only control option.

- Survivability parts are unlocked, and tested before manned is even an option.

- And many other re-arrangements of parts, and the tiers at which you unlock them.

 

Supported Part Mods

- None at the moment.


Future Plans

Past the first full release, I plan on working on support for mods such as KIS, KAS, Infernal Robotics, and many more, which will lead into the second version of the mod.

After the Initial integration with some of the base mods that are planned, I plan to implement support for career's that require you to purchase parts from the unlocked nodes, though this is a lesser priority at the moment.

Further down the line than even the part buying, is a contract pack. I plan on putting something together for contracts that will fit this mod better than stock in the future.

 


Download

Module Manager IS required for this mod to work.

Version 1.0 - Spacedock

 

Change Log

Spoiler

Version 1.0

- move a ladder to start node

- First fairing is not in right node

- move flt800 down the tree

- move all shuttle plane parts to a new shuttle node past supersonic rockts

- set up all the icons

Beta v1.03

  • Moved around a few parts in the start node

  • Moved around the xenon based parts

  • Fixed an issue where some parts were not showing up.

  • Moved science parts around

  • move narrow band scanner to imroved satellites

  • re balance and spread out the relay dishes

    • hg5 5M
    • RA2 2G
    • RA15 15G
    • comm HG55 15H
    • comm DTS-M1 2Gm
    • comm 88-88 14.1Gm
  • move xenon out of mining

  • switch bigger tanks to before bigger engines

  • Spread out science

  • break apart controlled rocketry

  • break apart coupling

  • Tier system Tier Mod Stock

    • Tier 0 - 0 - 0
    • Tier 1 - 5 - 5
    • Tier 2 - 20 - 18
    • Tier 3 - 90 - 45
    • Tier 4 - 100 - 90
    • Tier 5 - 200 - 160
    • Tier 6 - 300 - 300
    • Tier 7 - 600 - 550
    • Tier 8 - 1000 - 1000

BETA v1.02

- Did some minor rebalancing of node science prices

- Moved a few parts around, such as a couple science parts, and a few structural parts.

BETA v1.01

- Created new Tech Tree

- Moved all stock parts into respective tech nodes.

License

CC-BY-NC-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/)


Special Thanks

@Pap1723, for helping with the initial bugs that i ran into

CSA Community, for helping my motivation to complete the mod.


Edited by ThePhoenixSol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a very nice project. I like the idea of sensible progression a lot. After testing for some hours I'd like to suggest the following: 

- make more or all of the construction parts like beams or struts, cubic struts and so on available at first node.

- I like Hooligan Labs Airship mod a lot. Some parts of it like the gondola are in your tech tree, but the envelopes are not. These could be also available very early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

This is a very nice project. I like the idea of sensible progression a lot. After testing for some hours I'd like to suggest the following: 

- make more or all of the construction parts like beams or struts, cubic struts and so on available at first node.

- I like Hooligan Labs Airship mod a lot. Some parts of it like the gondola are in your tech tree, but the envelopes are not. These could be also available very early.

Thanks, And the main reasoning behind the structural not being available on start is that the structure to contain rocketry was more advanced than we had before we started into space.... not to mention, it allows for more nodes in the tree XD

as far as that mod, ill add it to the list. i will say that some parts work simply because of how i defined a couple of the parts to save time. so a couple mods will have parts thrown in, but thats not done on purpose... just a coincidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the comments guys. Im currently working on setting up the icons, and working on a way to stream line doing so. In the mean time, if you guys notice any parts that should be moved to another more sensible node, or that the science unlocks need to be re-balanced, let me know and ill see what i can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of this tech tree, I'm just unsure about installing it due to the huge amount of mods (especially part mods) I have installed. My fear is that, for instance, parts from the same rocket in Bluedog Design Bureau are separated by 3 tiers of nodes. (Example: The S-IC tank for the Saturn V could be in Tier 4, while the F-1 engine would be in Tier 7.

I suppose I'll create a backup save and try it out, just to see if I'd want to install it. In the meantime, I understand you plan on adding compatibility to mods in the future, and I would suggest BDB as one of the first mods for compatibility. It's your mod though, so feel free to work at your own pace. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noname115 said:

I like the idea of this tech tree, I'm just unsure about installing it due to the huge amount of mods (especially part mods) I have installed. My fear is that, for instance, parts from the same rocket in Bluedog Design Bureau are separated by 3 tiers of nodes. (Example: The S-IC tank for the Saturn V could be in Tier 4, while the F-1 engine would be in Tier 7.

I suppose I'll create a backup save and try it out, just to see if I'd want to install it. In the meantime, I understand you plan on adding compatibility to mods in the future, and I would suggest BDB as one of the first mods for compatibility. It's your mod though, so feel free to work at your own pace. :)

thats completely understandable. id say hold off on it for now, as how i made the mod, those mods may be horribly broken with them. what mod exactly is BDB? ill look into adding it to the list. but i plan on having a large list of compatible mods, and you can always ask other mod devs if they are willing to integrate it themselves when they have time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

thats completely understandable. id say hold off on it for now, as how i made the mod, those mods may be horribly broken with them. what mod exactly is BDB? ill look into adding it to the list. but i plan on having a large list of compatible mods, and you can always ask other mod devs if they are willing to integrate it themselves when they have time

BDB is BlueDog Design Bureau, a massive real-like USA historical rocket parts collection (it's like the counterpart to Tantares).  It's a good stress-test for a custom tech tree, as it already overloads the stock tree. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Laguna said:

BDB is BlueDog Design Bureau, a massive real-like USA historical rocket parts collection (it's like the counterpart to Tantares).  It's a good stress-test for a custom tech tree, as it already overloads the stock tree. :)

 

over loads it?... oh fun... ill take a shot at it XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ThePhoenixSol said:

over loads it?... oh fun... ill take a shot at it XD

Yeah, I've seen it used in modded unmanned-first careers, and it can make such a career all too easy in the early phase--just way too many parts; it's why BDB needs to be properly balanced in custom tech trees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laguna said:

Yeah, I've seen it used in modded unmanned-first careers, and it can make such a career all too easy in the early phase--just way too many parts; it's why BDB needs to be properly balanced in custom tech trees.

ahhh. all the more reason to fully balance the stock game first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing with this tech tree for some hours now. Something I would change for re-balancing is the Bigger Plains node as it's super expensive in career mode for only five science points right at the start, especially if you play with limited funds at the start. Apart from that Great Mod! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed science III says that it has missing requirements even though I have unlocked science II also there is a lone node in the middle of the tree with no parent that I can`t unlock due to missing requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that I found a typo in this mod.

 

While playing through career, and in the early-mid game, I realized that for some reason the FL-T800 fuel tank was mysteriously not showing up in the VAB/SPH, and for some reason was not showing up anywhere in the tech tree in R&D.

 

I think I tracked it down. In "SensibleTechTree Parts.cfg", there appears to be a very minor typo:

 

@PART[fuelTankSmallFlat|fuelTankSmall|fuelTank|sasModule|linearRcs|fuelTank_Long|liquidEngine3|liquidEngine|radialRCSTank]
{
	@TechRequired = controllableRockets
}

 

However, when digging through Squad's Parts folder, I find the following in "fuelTankT800.cfg":

PART
{
	name = fuelTank_long
	...

 

After changing "fuelTank_Long" in "SensibleTechTree Parts.cfg" to "fuelTank_long", the FL-T800 fuel tank now shows up in the correct node in R&D and is avaliable in the parts list in the VAB/SPH.

Edited by thecross
Accidental typo in a post about typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize for the long time between releases, I have been quite busy this past month with personal matters. But in light of that, i have managed to wrap up a re balance update in v1.03.

I have taken all of your feedback as well as personal issues noted and fixed, rearranged, and moved stuff around. Im still in the process of working on the nodes icons, as well as some remaining balancing. which will push into the first full release. After which i will jump head on into mod support.

On 11/24/2016 at 6:17 AM, John FX said:

Just noticed science III says that it has missing requirements even though I have unlocked science II also there is a lone node in the middle of the tree with no parent that I can`t unlock due to missing requirements.

download the newest version and let me know if this is still an issue, as im not seeing that bug on my end. do note that some nodes appear to be attatched to nothing, but do have parents, ksp just is confused on how to draw lines down....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Official release is complete and released. If you have any mod suggestions, or balance inquiries, post them here and ill tend to them when im able.

 

Thanks a lot to those who have helped out so far, I look forward to continue working with you to better this mod!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ! Thanks a lot for this mod !

Here is a list of mods that uses parts and that I consider "the basic package". It would be awesome if you could implement it with your tech tree :


KAS
KIS
SCANsat
BZ-1 Radial Attachment Point

EVA Parachutes & Ejection Seats
The Malemute Rover
Mk1-Cabin-Hatch
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be an update by the end of the week, with KIS/KAS, Snacks, IR, B9 Proc wings, and porkjets part overhauls integrated into the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have ran into an issue with infernal robotics, so sadly i wont be able to post an update tonight. I will hold off on the update till i fix infernal robotics, unless you guys decide you want the update ahead of time, which im willing to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.