[1.4.x] Porkjet's Legacy and How to Integrate It

Kerbal101

Info: big part of the functionality has been integrated into KSP/KSP DLCs and some mods continue to keep the integration with the game.
For this reason, please see the last pages of the thread and browse the individual mods, if you wish to use these parts.

Goal of this thread
To aggregate in one place instructions and thread references to the parts, which Porkjet has created/started/affected -  but which did not manage to find their way into the Stock KSP.
This thread is not any type of mod, its an aggregator. If you have suggestion or question about any mod - please use the linked official thread.

Who is Porkjet and why should you care?
Porkjet was part of SQUAD staff and created/contributed to a lot of vanilla KSP parts.
All these parts have common style and give KSP (this way or another) the unique "kerbal" design.

Some of Porkjet's projects have not managed to land into Stock KSP due to various reasons.
While today KSP 1.4.x provides a really enjoyable experience, a lot of people are either unaware of unreleased/missing Porkjet work - or do not understand how to integrate it easily.
This is why you probably should care.

Spoiler

The quantitative amount of parts that exist in stock (vanilla) KSP 1.2 under the (co-)authorship of Porkjet is - 108:

$ cd bin/ksp1.2/game/GameData/Squad/
$ echo -e "\n\n Amount of stock parts Porkjet has contributed to/created: $(grep -R Porkjet *| wc -l)"
Amount of stock parts Porkjet has contributed to/created: 108

Hall of Fame
Porkjet
Tokamak

hoojiwana
Skalou
JPLRepo
Alshain
linuxgurugamer
Ven
PocketBrotector
Yemo
Snark
Errol

The Projects
1. Porkjet's Stock Engine Overhaul
Author
: Porkjet

(click to zoom, gimbal in action on second image)
UFvQk5R.jpg  mbCSmZP.jpg

Summary: 2m engines (full overhaul and two new ones; career upgrades; 303/909 engines have built-in fuel), 2m LOX/LF fuel models improved (visual overhaul), Mk1(visual overhaul).
Designed for replacing old stock parts, but did not make it into 1.2 as it was supposed to.
Released as a stand-alone mod. Installing it "as is" will add these parts.
Can be changed to completely replace stock parts (easily reversible).

Status: Some installation methods work in 1.4.x without issues. For some compatibility is unknown.
Videos: [1]
Threads: [1] design sheet, [2] main discussion thread, [3] official download (standalone mod)

Installation instructions:

1) Add as a standalone mod: download file, install like regular mod
 Consequences:
  - new parts added under all-new names.
  - stock craft use old parts.
  - created craft incompatible with stock without mod.

2) Missing History by @Snark : download link and instructions
Consequences:
- includes subset of Porkjet parts (no boattails, upgrades, mk1 pod)
- adds skins to Porkjet fuel tanks
- adds new complimentary parts

3) Part Overhaul Integration by @PocketBrotector : download link and instructions
Consequences:
- fixes typos in original files,
- fixes missing upgrade to Heavy Rocketry
- hides stock parts

4) KSPRocketPartsOverhaul (compatibility to 1.4 unknown) by @Angel-125 : download link and instructions
Consequences:
- implements a plugin (Mesh Switch) that allows to switch the parts

5) SETI-UbM (compatibility to 1.4 unknown) by @Yemo : download link and instructions
Consequences:
- removes upgrades
- adds tweakscale support and VSR compatibility
- converts Valiant and Pug to 0.6m size
- converts Swivel and Reliant 1.8m size

These options below inside spoiler worked in 1.3.x, but their compatibility to 1.4.x is unknown. They are left here for historical reasons only.

Spoiler

-) Add as a mod, but hide stock parts in VAB/SPH: follow this
 Consequences:
  - be aware of this caveat.
  - old parts hidden.
  - new parts added under all-new names. 
  - stock craft use old (VAB/SPH toolbox inaccessible) parts.
  - created craft incompatible with stock without mod.

-) Replace the stock parts with Porkjet's: follow this
 Consequences:
  - non-unique new parts directly override the stock versions
  - all stock crafts will use new parts
  - created crafts are backwards compatible to vanilla KSP, if 303 (pug), LV-15 (Valiant) and boattail engines are used
  - integration can be reversed by removing the pack, craft not using unique parts will be unaffected

-) Replace the visuals of stock parts with Porkjet's, keep stock performance properties: follow this
Consequences:
- new parts replace visuals of the stock parts
- Porkjet's upgrade packs are disabled
- useful to get just the visual revamp, allows to compete in challenges so long unique parts are not used

Same craft saved and reloaded after removing Porkjet mod (option 3 above):

ILpCI5Q.jpg

2. Pork-alike Rapier
Author
: hoojiwana

from left to right:   porkalike rapier [ksp visual mod] + stock rapier [stock ksp] versus SABRE [real life]
2ztHLce.png  IHNOkqE.jpg

pictures - courtesy of hoojiwana, reactionengines/BAE

Summary: changes the existing rapier engine looks to match real one AND the style to imitate the stock (Porkjet-) style. The change can be limited to be visual only (replacing model/textures).
IMHO:  you very probably want this, if you are in love with Porkjet Overhaul above. The stock Rapier is notorious for inconsistent design compared to other jet engines (IMHO).
I found no in-flight technical difference between stock RAPIER and Porkalike RAPIER after applying method 2, thus you might want to use method 3 to just copy the visuals.

Status: Compatibility with 1.4.x is unknown. Worked in 1.3 and behaved equally to stock Rapier.
Threads: [1]

Be sure to apply the patch, provided by @Errol.

1) As a standalone additional engine (CR-8): follow this
  Consequences:  extra engine with different looks, could be useful if you want to keep legacy engine for challenges etc
2) Replace original RAPIER CR-7 visuals as well: follow this (unfold hidden, under "If you just want the skin from the porkalike" subheader).
  Consequences:  stock rapier receives updated look, plus an extra engine
3) Replace original RAPIER CR-7 visuals, but hide the additional engine: see spoiler just below
  Consequences:  existing stock rapier receives updated look, no new parts

Spoiler

Do the step (2), but right after  the whole code pasted in a new .cfg - add this block:

@PART[porkalike_rapier]
{
	@category = -1
	@TechRequired = hidden
}

3. Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts
Author: Tokamak Current Maintainer: linuxgurugamer

This mod provides all parts, that were originally published in Porkjet's Habitat Pack, which is not supported anymore.
Original author (Porkjet's Habitat Pack): Porkjet

(courtesy of Tokamak, picture given for illustration of a supported mod)
KIXY8jw.png

Summary: " This pack provides a variety of habitat modules and base building parts to give players the ability to colonize space in a more realistic way. Inflatable modules are compact on launch and can be deployed and loaded with crew in space, offering adequate living space and comfort for a plausible approach to space colonization."
IMHO: the stock KSP still misses habitation (space or base) modules. Astonishingly these were in the works already since 2014 - but they never made into the stock with latest KSP series supported via mod being 1.0.x.
Huge thanks to Tokamak for continuing where Porkjet left - refining the parts and maintaining his awesome "Refurbished Parts" mod!
Also Huge thanks to linuxgurugamer for stepping in to maintain the mod!
"Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts" (linuxgurugamer) - linuxgurugamer took over maintenance of this awesome mod and it works in 1.4.x
Initial "Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts - includes Habitats from Habitat Pack" (Tokamak) - discontinued;
Porkjet's Habitat Pack - original thread, discontinued;
Threads[1] Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts, by linuxgurugamer (current), [2] Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts, by Tokamak (outdated), [3] original Porkjet's thread (outdated)

1) install Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts: follow here

Notable mention: Stock Part Revamp
@Ven has been working on complete overhaul of stocks parts. A lot of parts bear some resemblance to Porkjet parts, but the sheer size of this revamp is much higher compared to (1) with impresive amount of details. If you are interested in complete refresh of the parts, you might want to look at this mod instead.

2fwnyLl.png  lM10NQ4.png

Yes, the girder on the pictures is the stock one - from revamped. All rocket engines also have two mount points: the regular and the larger - which forms shroud upon attachment. The air breathing engines also include compression turbine part! Engines have working visible gimbal. Only limited part amount is shown on the pictures, the revamp is massive and includes new parts.

Threads: [1]  Stock Part Revamp by Ven.

1) install the mod: follow the thread link above.

Special thanks to @Jognt and all everyone else who provided valuable information, patches and tips! Without your input, this thread would not exist.

Comments, Suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks for reading!

Edited by Kerbal101
2019 Oct - thread locked

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for getting this all in one place. Discussion of the part overhauls as they exist currently can be hard to find.

It looks like no one has yet assembled a complete integration patch for the overhauled parts - this would need to address the following:

• Hiding or removing the old versions of overhauled parts
  • Issues with testing contracts (adding contracts and name variants to the engines)
  • Optionally converting the engine variants from separate parts to switchable parts via a plugin

Is this correct? If so I may try to put something together.

On 11/1/2016 at 6:18 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Pork-alike Rapier

Worth noting that this is also available as part of a larger Stock Replacement Assets pack by the same author, @hoojiwana!

On 11/1/2016 at 6:18 AM, Kerbal101 said:

Porkjet's Habitat Pack

Porkjet's Habitat Pack and Atomic Age mods now have community patches by @Deimos Rast in the form of PorkWorks Continued. (Implementation details differ between the updates provided by Deimos Rast and those offered by @Tokamak.)

3 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

Thanks for getting this all in one place. Discussion of the part overhauls as they exist currently can be hard to find.

It looks like no one has yet assembled a complete integration patch for the overhauled parts - this would need to address the following:

• Hiding or removing the old versions of overhauled parts
  • Issues with testing contracts (adding contracts and name variants to the engines)
  • Optionally converting the engine variants from separate parts to switchable parts via a plugin

Is this correct? If so I may try to put something together.

Worth noting that this is also available as part of a larger Stock Replacement Assets pack by the same author, @hoojiwana!

Porkjet's Habitat Pack and Atomic Age mods now have community patches by @Deimos Rast in the form of PorkWorks Continued. (Implementation details differ between the updates provided by Deimos Rast and those offered by @Tokamak.)

Don't forget the Jackolantern mod he made.:D

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Don't forget the Jackolantern mod he made.:D

If there was ever a crucial mod that cried out for a community patch, surely this is it... :P 

2 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

If so I may try to put something together.

And here it is:

- Old versions of overhauled parts are hidden
  - They are removed from the tech tree. In existing saves, this does not affect nodes already purchased
  - They are removed from all categories in the VAB and SPH
  - They are retained in the game files so active craft will still function normally
- Testing contracts are added to overhauled parts (copied from old part versions)
- Part variants are renamed to distinguish between them
 - Attachment ring engine variants get a -A suffix
 - Boattail engine variants get a -B suffix
 - Compact engine variants (not published) would get a -C suffix
 - Old part variants get a -Z suffix
- FilterExtensions support (overhauled parts are added to the Squad category)
Edited by PocketBrotector

4 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

If there was ever a crucial mod that cried out for a community patch, surely this is it... :P 

And here it is:

- Old versions of overhauled parts are hidden
  - They are removed from the tech tree. In existing saves, this does not affect nodes already purchased
  - They are removed from all categories in the VAB and SPH
  - They are retained in the game files so active craft will still function normally
- Testing contracts are added to overhauled parts (copied from old part versions)
- Part variants are renamed to distinguish between them
 - Attachment ring engine variants get a -A suffix
 - Boattail engine variants get a -B suffix
 - Compact engine variants (not published) would get a -C suffix
 - Old part variants get a -Z suffix
- FilterExtensions support (overhauled parts are added to the Squad category)

well done!

did you look at mesh switching at all?

I'd also recommend dropping down the bottom node on the pod a hair, to avoid heatshield clipping.

EDIT: I ported over the realplume configs for the old engines with some tweaks if you want them. Maybe @Nhawks17 has some suggestions on the pug and valiant engines (I just used a rescaled 909 and T45 plume).

Edited by Deimos Rast

12 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

well done!

I'd also recommend dropping down the bottom node on the pod a hair, to avoid heatshield clipping.

EDIT: I ported over the realplume configs for the old engines with some tweaks if you want them. Maybe @Nhawks17 has some suggestions on the pug and valiant engines (I just used a rescaled 909 and T45 plume).

RealPlume-Stock already comes with configs for the overhauled parts?

On 11/17/2016 at 0:33 AM, Deimos Rast said:

Unfortunately both of these would require me to have some understanding of how meshes work, but I don't :(

The issue with the new Mk1 command pod is that the node is in the right place (to preserve backward compatibility) but there's a big dumb hemisphere sticking out of the bottom. This means it'll clip through anything placed underneath - heat shields are most obvious, but also e.g. the boattail-less Pug engine. Moving the node just means that there will be an awkward gap between the pod and whatever's below. The "right" fix would be to flatten out the bottom of the pod so it sits flush on top of everything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 11:34 AM, Eskandare said:

What about Nuclear Age?

From what I can tell from my recent install of KSP Interstellar, PorkJet's Atomic Age parts are within KSPI.

On 11/1/2016 at 3:18 AM, Kerbal101 said:

1. Porkjet's Stock Engine Overhaul. Author: Porkjet

I feel it's worth noting that Angel-125 made a modified version of the PartOverhauls that has mesh and resource switching, using a custom plugin. So far, it plays nicely with KSP Interstellar Fuel Switch.

Link is from the PartOverhauls page in the 1.2 prerelease forum.

Edited by SchwinnTropius

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, SmashBrown said:

How goes this with 1.2.2? Currently on my phone so can't download and check. And why the hell didn't this become stock dang it!

I have not updated the thread yet with a mod, which has "own modified mesh and resource switching using custom plugin".
I also have not tested and modified the "replacer" version of porkjet's engine overhaul (1.3), so that it loads after vanilla parts - but before other user mods, thus fuel replacing mods are not affected.

Thats the only thing.

1 and 2 work with 1.2.2. Here is Aeris 4a, whom I only replaced engines with sabre and valiant.
I do not use 3, and its sufficiently externally maintained.

sjk3Ly4.jpg

6 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

I have not updated the thread yet with a mod, which has "own modified mesh and resource switching using custom plugin".
I also have not tested and modified the "replacer" version of porkjet's engine overhaul (1.3), so that it loads after vanilla parts - but before other user mods, thus fuel replacing mods are not affected.

Thats the only thing.

1 and 2 work with 1.2.2. Here is Aeris 4a, whom I only replaced engines with sabre and valiant.
I do not use 3, and its sufficiently externally maintained.

sjk3Ly4.jpg

Seeing as all the parts where meant to be getting redone and PJ didn't get the chance to, do the new parts blend well in with the old ones? Could we maybe stitch together this and VSR to make a complete package?

Just thinking out loud here.

• 3 weeks later...

@SmashBrown Sorry for late reply.. with VSR you mean this one? Feel free to take and merge whatever you want from main post... If VSR wants to replace its parts with updated Porkjets, and licenses allow that - go ahead.
Mine are only configs in 1 and 2, and they are public (obviously).

Even if you drop both mods, nothing bad should happen. The 1,2 will load, delete squad mk1 models and substitute themselves as those. Then VSR loads and substitutes stuff. Should all work!
I just edited config of 1(3 replacer), so that it loads after Squad instead of "final" (after all mods). This should prevent any conflicts - if one happens, I added info how to solve that too.

The only possible changesleft for 1 are surface attachments and worse aerodynamics for stripped engines, but that would fall into "mod" category.

Also (+ @SchwinnTropius) I have finally brought myself over to installing Interstellar Fuel Switch. To make things "worse", I am also using FAR (which patches MK1) parts.
The verdict is: modification ways listed on this page are fully compatible.

AUrgU1b.jpg

Edited by Kerbal101

• 1 month later...

Question -

(hope this is an effective place to put it)

I'd like to make a version that works as Option 3 (replace textures, fall back to stock on export), but has no upgrade function whatsoever, no new parts, and all original vanilla stats.  Basically just a texture refresh.  Any pointers?

In case anyone is wondering why - I have a list of stock career challenges that I want to do with stock parts. The upgraded Terrier is just too OP, makes Tylo SSTOs trivial and no fun (for me, for this particular playstyle).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 5:18 AM, Kerbal101 said:

- created crafts are backwards compatible to vanilla 1.2 KSP without modification on the condition that no 303 (pog) or LV-15 (Valiant) engines were placed (those are new parts via mod).***

So, I'm trying these for the first time and I followed this guide.  It turns out this is incorrect.  Craft are not backward compatible.  Part models are.  Craft created with the engines in this part compilation will no longer function as they did before in vanilla 1.2 because they do not have the same thrust and ISP stats and to make matters worse they have upgrades which the stock parts do not.

So, does anybody know how to install these just for looks replacing the old part models but not altering the stats?

EDIT: oops. looks like @fourfa asked the same question.  I should have read a little.  fourfa, I'm working on a patch that will reset them.  Removing the upgrades is easy, but the base stats are different too so it's going to take a little bit of time.

Edited by Alshain

Ok, here is the patch.  This patch uses the PartOverhauls in place of the old engines while maintaining stock engine stats.  So if you use this patch, you can compete in stock-only challenges and still be legitimate (as long as you don't use the T15 or 303).  This is valid as of 1.2.2 but will need to be re-checked after version updates to ensure Squad doesn't change anything.  I've included the removal of upgrades from the T15 and 303 so that they don't surpass their big brothers, that can be deleted if you want them to upgrade for some reason.

To install follow @Kerbal101's instructions for Option 3 but use this config file.  Kerbal101, feel free to copy this to the original post if you wish.

// we remove those first, but just after Squad parts are loaded

/// should you encounter a mod, which changes properties and fuels of MK1 parts,
/// please add ":BEFORE[xxxx]" just after "[Squad]" below, working all the way down to the end, 
/// with xxx being directory name of the mod.

/// for example:  -PART[mk1pod]:AFTER[Squad] -->  -PART[mk1pod]:AFTER[Squad]:BEFORE[FuelChanger]
/// this will cause replacer do the job before the said mod touches the parts.

-PART[mk1pod]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[liquidEngine3]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[liquidEngine]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[liquidEngine2]:AFTER[Squad] {}

-PART[fuelTankSmallFlat]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[fuelTankSmall]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[fuelTank]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}
-PART[fuelTank_long]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] {}

// then we rename newer parts to older part names, effectively replacing them.
// precise names were tested against ksp wiki.

@PART[fuelTank100]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = fuelTankSmallFlat }
@PART[fuelTank200]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = fuelTankSmall }
@PART[fuelTank400]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = fuelTank }
@PART[fuelTank800]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = fuelTank_long }

@PART[mk1podNew]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = mk1pod }

@PART[liquidEngineT45]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = liquidEngine2 }
@PART[liquidEngineT30]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = liquidEngine }
@PART[liquidEngine909]:AFTER[Squad]:FOR[PartOverhauls] { @name = liquidEngine3 }

@PART[liquidEngine|liquidEngineT30*]:AFTER[PartOverhauls]
{
	@entryCost = 3200
	@cost = 1100

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
	{ 
		@maxThrust = 240
		-UPGRADES {}

-atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 310
			key = 1 265
			key = 7 0.001
		}
	}
}

@PART[liquidEngine2|liquidEngineT45*]:AFTER[PartOverhauls]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
	{ 
		@maxThrust = 215
		-UPGRADES {}

-atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 320
			key = 1 250
			key = 6 0.001
		}
	}
}

@PART[liquidEngine3|liquidEngine909*]:AFTER[PartOverhauls]
{
	@entryCost = 1600
	@cost = 390

@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
	{ 
		@maxThrust = 60
		-UPGRADES {}

-atmosphereCurve {}
		atmosphereCurve
		{
			key = 0 345
			key = 1 85
			key = 3 0.001
		}
	}

-RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
	-RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
}

@PART[liquidEngineT15*|liquidEngine303*]:AFTER[PartOverhauls]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleEngines] { -UPGRADES {} }
}

Edited by Alshain

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

This. These parts deserve to be stock, or at least completed. Does anyone have the source for the parts themselves? I can't do anything with .mu files.

You're referring to the PartOverhauls? Just try downloading it. There's a Source folder right in the zip file next to GameData.

On 5/14/2017 at 1:45 PM, CastleKSide said:

Does any of this have CKAN compatibility?

Not unless somebody volunteers to add it to CKAN themselves...