[1.4.x] Porkjet's Legacy and How to Integrate It

Kerbal101

7 minutes ago, Modding Maniac said:

ok, issue i installed part overhauls as a mod, and only the new updated mk 1 command pod is appearing, no other parts show up

lol. I know the feel. Could you walk me through the steps you took while installing it? Also, what version of ModuleManager are you using?

Just now, Jognt said:

lol. I know the feel. Could you walk me through the steps you took while installing it? Also, what version of ModuleManager are you using?

i installed part overhauls into gamedata, and im not sure, can i install a new module manager over the possibly old one to make sure its up to date?

1 minute ago, Modding Maniac said:

i installed part overhauls into gamedata, and im not sure, can i install a new module manager over the possibly old one to make sure its up to date?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.. in your gamedata\partoverhauls folder, do you see a Source and another GameData folder?

If so, you were visited by the ancient archive-unpacking troll. From the PartOverhauls.zip file you have to take the PartOverhauls folder that is inside the PartOverhauls\GameData folder.

If done correctly, you will only have a folder called "Parts" inside of your KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls folder.

Let me know if that helps.

In regards to ModuleManager, it should say so right in your KSP\GameData folder. It'll be in the name of ModuleManager[x].dll where [x] is the version of modulemanager that you have.

5 minutes ago, Jognt said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here.. in your gamedata\partoverhauls folder, do you see a Source and another GameData folder?

If so, you were visited by the ancient archive-unpacking troll. From the PartOverhauls.zip file you have to take the PartOverhauls folder that is inside the PartOverhauls\GameData folder.

If done correctly, you will only have a folder called "Parts" inside of your KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls folder.

Let me know if that helps.

In regards to ModuleManager, it should say so right in your KSP\GameData folder. It'll be in the name of ModuleManager[x].dll where [x] is the version of modulemanager that you have.

yes, i see a source and gamedata folder inside it

4 minutes ago, Modding Maniac said:

yes, i see a source and gamedata folder inside it

Then there's your problem. Follow what I wrote in my previous post to fix it.

The folderstructure that you want to end up with is "KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts" instead of your current "KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts".

You can ignore that "Source" folder, that's not needed for using the parts. That's for modders who wish to tinker with.. well.. the source files. So you can remove it safely.

Edited by Jognt

also, this may sound kind of stupid and jackassish, but can you go a bit more indepth on how to fix it?

ok how

5 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Then there's your problem. Follow what I wrote in my previous post to fix it.

The folderstructure that you want to end up with is "KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts" instead of your current "KSP\GameData\PartOverhauls\GameData\PartOverhauls\Parts".

ok and how do i do that

Edited by Modding Maniac

2 minutes ago, Modding Maniac said:

also, this may sound kind of stupid and jackassish, but can you go a bit more indepth on how to fix it?

ok ho

ok and how do i do that

Assuming you haven't done anything yet, here's what to do:

1. Go to your KSP\GameData folder;
2. Go into the PartOverhauls folder;
3. Go into the GameData folder;
4. Select the PartOverhauls folder;
5. Right click it and click "Cut";
6. Go back to your KSP\GameData folder;
7. Right click and click "Paste";
8. When your PC asks you if you want to merge the folder, select yes or OK;
9. Again go into the Partoverhauls folder;
10. Select the Source and GameData folders;
11. Press the Delete key, or right click on them and select Delete or Remove;

Now you should be left with a PartOverhauls folder containing a Parts folder in your GameData folder.

Hope that helps!

29 minutes ago, Jognt said:

Assuming you haven't done anything yet, here's what to do:

1. Go to your KSP\GameData folder;
2. Go into the PartOverhauls folder;
3. Go into the GameData folder;
4. Select the PartOverhauls folder;
5. Right click it and click "Cut";
6. Go back to your KSP\GameData folder;
7. Right click and click "Paste";
8. When your PC asks you if you want to merge the folder, select yes or OK;
9. Again go into the Partoverhauls folder;
10. Select the Source and GameData folders;
11. Press the Delete key, or right click on them and select Delete or Remove;

Now you should be left with a PartOverhauls folder containing a Parts folder in your GameData folder.

Hope that helps!

what the duck still only the pod

and all the files are in parts

w t f

Edited by Modding Maniac

9 hours ago, Modding Maniac said:

what the duck still only the pod

and all the files are in parts

w t f

In that case I recommend you ask a friend that knows how to deal with basic folder structures to help you out in properly extracting the .zip archive.

The reason me and others couldn't see the parts were because we were trying to replace the stock stuff with them. If you're just adding the parts as completely new parts like you are, there shouldn't be any problem provided the .zip is extracted properly.

Just to confirm, you've just extracted the .zip, and you've not created any seperate .cfg files right?

@Kerbal101 The MM patch on the previous page (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/151262-131-porkjets-legacy-and-how-to-integrate-it/&do=findComment&comment=3344563) should work for the step 3 in your OP.

Having looked around though, I think these parts are in a bad place at the moment. We've got Missing History, SETI-UbM, partOverhaulIntegration, and KSPRocketPartsOverhaul, and the MM patches I'm working on, all implementing some parts of this pack. They all have their own tweaks and implementations that causes them all to (probably) have issues with eachother.

IMO it would be best to have one release for these parts that all the other packs can then build a dependency on. I was thinking about ignoring that and just giving you the patches I'm working on, but that would lead to this: https://xkcd.com/927/

Here's a rundown on what the above mod variations do:
Missing History: Removes boattails, removes upgrades, removes Mk1Pod. Adds grey/orange textures for fueltanks, modifies original parts.
SETI-UbM: Removes upgrades, adds tweakscale support, adds VSR compatibility, makes valiant/pug 0.6m, makes swivel/reliant 1.8m.
PartOverhaulIntegration: Fixes typos in original files, adds upgrade level that wasn't properly defined, hides stock stuff.
KSPRocketPartsOverhaul: Implements a Mesh Switch plugin to allow for mesh switching.

As you can see, the latter two are very nice to have, one fixing bugs, one adding mesh switching which would be extremely helpful. The way these mods do their thing means they all have compatibility problems with each other! Also if one were to modify their CFG files to make them play nice together, you're still left with 4 mods that distribute identical models/textures, which is a bad idea from a performance perspective.

I would like to invite the creators of the above to discuss options here (both in practical terms as in licensing terms), because the way this is going these parts will be lost in a limbo of "well, which mod has the least negative side effects?". These parts deserve better.

@Snark@Yemo@Angel-125@PocketBrotector

My suggestion: Have one mod that incorporates the fixes/tweaks by angel-125 and pocketbrotector. Possibly add the PatchManager stuff I'm working on so people can choose what to implement, then have other mods create a dependency for the centralized, up-to-date version.

My apologies if I'm ranting, hardly slept because I kept thinking what would be best for these parts, and I've only had my first cup of coffee for this morning!

Edited by Jognt

@Jognt Big thanks for the research and for the patience to investigate current situation!
I will update the topic with all possible options and your description, if you don't hesitate. :)
As of having mods that have incompatibilities, I think this is expected and also great that these parts are not forgotten, so I will go ahead and mention them too. :)

4 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

I will update the topic with all possible options and your description, if you don't hesitate. :)

Hesitate? Nah, I might have a nicer config setup done later, but until then, what I wrote before works1.

1- Terms and conditions apply. I can't test with every single mod out there, but this worked on both my vanilla and modded install and -while not as elegant as I'd like- should be compatible with most other mods that change stock parts.

Edited by Jognt

10 hours ago, Jognt said:

In that case I recommend you ask a friend that knows how to deal with basic folder structures to help you out in properly extracting the .zip archive.

The reason me and others couldn't see the parts were because we were trying to replace the stock stuff with them. If you're just adding the parts as completely new parts like you are, there shouldn't be any problem provided the .zip is extracted properly.

Just to confirm, you've just extracted the .zip, and you've not created any seperate .cfg files right?

SUCCESS! i figured it out! thank you

18 hours ago, Jognt said:

IMO it would be best to have one release for these parts that all the other packs can then build a dependency on.

That's Squad's PartOverhauls mod itself. It's totally possible to use that alone and get the parts more or less fully functional.

I tried to keep a fairly light touch to PartOverhaulIntegrations. It fixes a couple of bugs and hides the old parts - that's pretty much it. Other folks made other decisions based on their own preferences. For example, Snark explained his reasoning in the MissingHistory thread (he wanted to apply the new models to the old stock balance and add the new parts, without incorporating other stuff like the PartUpgrades.)

I think it's inevitable that there will be different interpretations of how these parts should be incorporated into the game. They were originally part of a planned overhaul that would completely change both the appearance and the stats of most rocket engines, but that overhaul was never finished. Personally I like the balance in this mod as it replaces the crummy stock 1.25m engines with parts that are initially useful for light early-game payloads, then gradually improved throughout the tech tree to remain competitive with larger parts. But if others don't care for the PartUpgrades system since it was never incorporated into the rest of stock, that's fine too and it's totally reasonable to use something like MissingHistory.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, Kerbal101 said:

Updated the thread to 1.4.x status. I have marked the versions that I have no compatibility data as such - and as always, any constructive correction or criticism are welcome. :)

In the OP, you mention the various ways of getting things installed. @PocketBrotector's GitHub download is almost a year old and as such I was very unsure if it was compatible with 1.4.2; might be making @Jognt's more current MM .cfg on page 2 more obvious as another way to accomplish the same goal - I just installed the files from PorkJet's download and made a .cfg with the code from Jognt's post and everything seems to be working perfectly so far, all expected upgrades are in the tree and all the original pieces have been tucked out the back of Gus Kerman's parts shed.

4 hours ago, JH4C said:

In the OP, you mention the various ways of getting things installed. @PocketBrotector's GitHub download is almost a year old and as such I was very unsure if it was compatible with 1.4.2; might be making @Jognt's more current MM .cfg on page 2 more obvious as another way to accomplish the same goal - I just installed the files from PorkJet's download and made a .cfg with the code from Jognt's post and everything seems to be working perfectly so far, all expected upgrades are in the tree and all the original pieces have been tucked out the back of Gus Kerman's parts shed.

Thanks for the mention. Since the cfg on the previous page was my first ever venture into MM cfgs I looked at it again for a second and think I made a typo. I've updated it to be correct now.

The problem was in this line:

+PART[mk1podNew]:FIRST { @name = mk1pod }

For some reason there was a "2" infront of "mk1pod" which meant that although it all worked, there was no longer a regular "mk1pod", just the new "2mk1pod" which means that any existing craft with the original "mk1pod" would be deleted/unable to load.

My apology if this caused you to lose ships. I recommend you update your cfg file to fix this error. If you have a save with any ships that contain the new command pod (built after using the cfg), then I recommend you recover them before you load the game with the fixed cfg to prevent loss-of-crew/ship. You will have to rebuild these craft with the fixed command pod afterwards.

I'm still not very pleased with the approach my cfg takes, since it pretty much rips out the old stuff and rams in the new ones which I find inelegant (and leaves it open to screwups like that typo). I had started writing improved versions that carry far less risk, but ADD struck and I'm finding it hard to continue with them. For now, if the inelegant CFG works, it works :).

Edited by Jognt

1 hour ago, Jognt said:

Thanks for the mention. Since the cfg on the previous page was my first ever venture into MM cfgs I looked at it again for a second and think I made a typo.

Hah. I literally only just got around to trying to continue my primary Science game (I'd done my earlier "does it work?" checks solely in Sandbox and a box-fresh Career) and discovered this very problem. I shall make the necessary adjustments and continue onwards - per ardua ad astra!

I built a craft using the PartOverhauls "Pug" engine in 1.4.3 and something odd is happening.

In the VAB it looks fine, but when I moved it to the pad the Pug shifted slightly from being centered on the stack and the engine shroud gets wonky.

Are others seeing this?

Edited by Tyko

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just getting back into KSP and still love Porkjets parts. Just wondering if anyone has seen or know of anyone taking on modeling his plans for the larger engines such in this image. 

Spoiler

iINdJyL.jpg

I personally think most off the stock engines are awful and don't fit the rest of the style. Was so excited for all these to get released back in the day but so sad to see it never happened

Edited, Now playing around with Vens stock revamp since i found an upto date version

Edited by Kami_K220
Found Updated VSR

Would Squad be allowed to make these models stock? Or do there exist legal peculiarities?

All the fuel tanks and the Mk-3 Capsule got an overhaul in 1.4, now the old engines (LV-T45 etc.) look sorely out of place. 

• 2 weeks later...

I installed this and nothing is compatible with tweakscale, except for the FTL-400 fuel tank, but it always starts out at 10% scale (very tiny) and I have to upscale it back to 100% every time I bring it into the vessel builder.

I used the method that replaced the old crappy stock parts with these.

Unmanned Before Manned completely rewrites the game and it doesn't work properly with 1.4 (and neither does partoverhaulintegration) which I am using so I don't want to use it. Can anyone help?

Yes I am a whiny and entitled brat who wants everything to be exactly how he wants.

Edited by Pavel ☭