After staging, stack decoupler stays in place

dognosh

Basically I decoupled my lander from main body,whilst orbiting Minmus, landed on Minmus then took off back to craft in orbit. When I got there I found the decoupler still on my orbiting craft, hence stopping my lander from contacting the port behind the decoupler. Currently the only choice I have is to send a retrieval craft to the orbit of minmus to save them.

I have restarted my save, and rebooted KSP from desktop but decoupler is still there. Is there a solution to this ?

ty :)

3 minutes ago, dognosh said:

brb with screenshot. But this is after staging it, I would have thought the left over ring would float away or disappear ?

Sounds like you need a Stack Seperator, not a Stack Decoupler. Decouplers will always stick to one of the stages, appointed by the arrow on it :)

1 minute ago, dognosh said:

ah thanks, will look in to it, either way here is the screenshot, the decoupler is still there after being deployed,and blocking my docking port

http://i.imgur.com/ZkCoMWC.jpg

Yup, the picture confirms my thought. The decoupler will always stick to the stage, that the arrow is pointing away from. If you want it to release both stages, then you need the Separators :)

Decouplers always stay with the stage the arrow is pointing away from (by default they stay attached to the stage below them).  Separators separate from the stage above them and the stage below them.  You have three options.  Make a newbie's separator by adding a decoupler and then adding a second decoupler flipped over underneath the first one and setting them to stage together.  Or you can use a separator.  Or you can use a docking port like you have and have the port decouple from the decoupler.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.