Private Mun Landing Challenge

Presenting the Private Mun challenge 

A.K.A. "Muncheap"

So by now I am sure almost everyone has landed on the Mun (If not then welcome new kerbal player)

So let's make a special challenge so we can have fun.

You are tasked with creating a cheap Mun lander for private use. Due to it being a private lander some rules are in place

1. You do not have access to docking technology, you may use docking ports for staging in place of separators as long as you don't redock

2. Due to being privately funded you only have access to one meter command pods.

3. Parts that can be re-used (such as landing stages like Space X) will not help your score, however feel free to use them since they look cool.

4. due to being privately funded you are limited to only ONE, two meter engine you may use as many 1 meter engines as you like

5. You cannot user any three meter parts aside from the three meter fairing and heat shield

6. You cannot use Vector, Atomic Engines, or Rapiers

7. you must land at least one Kerbal on the Mun or planet of your choice (see categories below)

8. Your craft must have at least two command pods, one for the landing and space travel, one for the re-entry. you can use any combination of probes, chairs and piloted pieces you want.

9. If you are using the allowed mods posted be sure to mention them so I can put them into the proper category 

The person with the cheapest option wins in their "category"

MODS ALLOWED:

KW Rocketry (as long as your engines follow the rules stated)

Tweakscale

Firespitter

HL Airships (can not use the cirrus part, real lift cirrus part is allowed)

Any atheistic mods such as scatterer

Mech Jeb for info ONLY

Categories:

Easy- Land and return from mun

Medium- Land and return from mun and drop off a rover

Hard- Land on the Mun, and Minmus drop off a rover on both, then return

Super hard- Land and return from Duna

Now you're just showing off- Land and return from Eve

How did you?!?!- Land on Moho, drop off rover, then go to Eeloo, drop of rover, then return

Hope to see some fun designs. 

Edited by AtomicSnails
Changed up some rules

1 hour ago, rkarmark said:

Why do you need 2 pods if you can't dock? :confused:

The idea I imagined is one capsule is the lander stage, the other capsule is for the return, I wanted to add a bit of realism. And in real life you don't use your lander for re-entry

I imagine the most standard configuration would be the small 1M crew capsule, and the 1M lander can, that being said if some wants to use plane cockpits or some of the crew storage pieces with a probe body, be my guest. (TLDR I don't want people to just throw a single capsule on a super efficient small lander, I want to see some creative designs)

2 minutes ago, AtomicSnails said:

The idea I imagined is one capsule is the lander stage, the other capsule is for the return, I wanted to add a bit of realism. And in real life you don't use your lander for re-entry

I imagine the most standard configuration would be the small 1M crew capsule, and the 1M lander can, that being said if some wants to use plane cockpits or some of the crew storage pieces with a probe body, be my guest. (TLDR I don't want people to just throw a single capsule on a super efficient small lander, I want to see some creative designs)

Real Life?  Umm, you do know that in the 60's, before Apollo, one of the designs was a vehicle which could land and take off, no separate vehicles.

But, it's your challenge, good luck.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Real Life?  Umm, you do know that in the 60's, before Apollo, one of the designs was a vehicle which could land and take off, no separate vehicles.

But, it's your challenge, good luck.

Did not know that, Ok well then I will edit the rules, have fun everyone

50 minutes ago, AtomicSnails said:

Did not know that, Ok well then I will edit the rules, have fun everyone

I must apologize.  I read this, and realized how it must have come across.

I didn't mean to be condescending.  I was just trying to let you know of some little-known history.

Keep the rules as they are, it's a reasonable restriction, given that Apollo was a two-vessel mission

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I must apologize.  I read this, and realized how it must have come across.

I didn't mean to be condescending.  I was just trying to let you know of some little-known history.

Keep the rules as they are, it's a reasonable restriction, given that Apollo was a two-vessel mission

No problem I never saw it that way, think I will add that rule back, I have seen what people can do with just one pod and a efficient engine want to add some challenge

Not sure why this is a challenge, since this is about how you usually fly to the Mun if you play in career mode. But then let's see what crazy ideas people might come up with. Like the guy who landed on Minmus with nothing but a single rocket and a Sepatron.

51 minutes ago, TwoThe said:

Not sure why this is a challenge, since this is about how you usually fly to the Mun if you play in career mode. But then let's see what crazy ideas people might come up with. Like the guy who landed on Minmus with nothing but a single rocket and a Sepatron.

? from the pad? gotta see that, in fact I'm trying it when i get home.

On 11/7/2016 at 5:15 AM, Nefrums said:

Are EVA landing on kerbin allowed, or do the reentry pod have to survive the landing?

Due to the glitchy nature of kerbals being able to bounce no, however if your return capsule is just some seats and a heatsheild thats fine

On 11/6/2016 at 3:47 PM, steeeal said:

How bout 2 1m engines (1.25m)

You can use as many 1M engines as you want

Today I went about sending Valentina on a no expenses spent trip to Duna and back as a submission for the super hard level of the challenge, for a total of 28,094 funds.

It turns out I could have got her there and back for less than that as a large part of the fuel in my return stage was unused (actually had to burn it off to reduce landing speed), as the stage that I used to get out to Duna, also had the fuel in it for the return burn as well.

Below are some pics, from the flight, which are part of an Imgur album but as the Imgur GUI for sorting image is broken it's not in the correct order.

In the VAB

2qVl5ra.png

Heading for orbit

NbpkKZa.png

Duna transfer

nvZaT5G.png

Burning for Duna

qwdE19d.png

Arrival at Duna (with stats)

vcmU6Is.png

Aerobraking

FazA7jH.png

Separation of lander

1VgIyM3.png

On the chute

e3k5iWG.png

Landed

LSgMfgU.png

Heading for orbit

aCPw80M.png

Her ride home

5qwtyRx.png

Kerbin transfer

AfjSb5z.png

Home in sight

2XT4kv8.png

Re-entry

Xofr8wJ.png

On chutes again

djS4Q0i.png

Splashdown

jJhVkFx.png

• 2 weeks later...

This was fun, I think I nailed the requirements, but let me know if I missed it. Also got a chance to test drive my Elgato. Landed and returned for $39,410.

Edit: just reread the requirements...oops. :/

Here's the actual entry of Easy mode at $24,216

Edited by hikoriyami

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.