[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

As I said, the arrows adjust the top value, the slider then goes between 0 and the top value

NMPucya.png

Stupid me. I used only the buttons. Thanks for your time, and ofc for all these mods you maintain.

May I suggest to have a "verticality" box, giving input data for proportionnal commands ? So a helicopter can "know" if it has to roll or pitch... Or is there somewhere something like that ?

Also a box triggering on "situations", like landed, flying low, flying high... Or even on biomes...

Edited by Kenny Kerman

3 hours ago, Kenny Kerman said:

May I suggest to have a "verticality" box, giving input data for proportionnal commands ? So a helicopter can "know" if it has to roll or pitch... Or is there somewhere something like that ?

No, that's up to the game.  and even if not, it isn't work spending the time on it. Sorry

3 hours ago, Kenny Kerman said:

Also a box triggering on "situations", like landed, flying low, flying high... Or even on biomes...

Already mods which can do that

5 hours ago, Kenny Kerman said:

The top slider goes by 25km increment. Try it. Show it.

Apologies. I was working from the assumption you had a basic understanding of how similar controls work in KSP. Glad to see LGG got you sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Does smart parts allow you to control two separate close ships engines and control attitudes? So you can either replicate the Falcon heavy or simultaneous set two orbiting ships to burn engines at the same time I.e for a small duna colony fleet?

I would have thought SP works only when the ship has the focus.

You can certainly test this with a local save (F5 or persistent save) and test, or a sandbox save with the same ships and Hyperedit/Orbit cheat.  Should take you less than 10 minutes if you copy the ships across saves.

32 minutes ago, Kenny Kerman said:

Is it me or a probe has to be connected (RemoteTech)  to have the parts trigger ? This mod is just awesome, I woudn't play KSP without it... Makes me dream about the Ulitmate Box : all in, all out...

Probably, this only does what stock does, but for multiple parts

brainwave just now: is it possible to create a Smart Part that is affected by sunlight yes/no? essentially a Sunlight detector? similar to comms change, sunlight could trigger all sorts of useful events!

wanted to share that idea with you, but as always thanks for everything you do for us :)

33 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

brainwave just now: is it possible to create a Smart Part that is affected by sunlight yes/no? essentially a Sunlight detector? similar to comms change, sunlight could trigger all sorts of useful events!

wanted to share that idea with you, but as always thanks for everything you do for us :)

Anything's possible, but right now I have no interest, am busy with other stuff.

• 3 months later...

The Smart parts cause a lot of drag when compared to similar parts. Probably 5x or more compared to an undeployed radial drogue chute (which is even slightly larger)

Is this intended or do I have a config problem?

In my opinion it should be less than the not deployed radial drogue chute and probably even a physics less part like the thermometer to make construction of crafts easier

Which parts are you referring to? All the "smart controller" parts (the ones in orange boxes) and the fuel valves are physicsless parts, so they have no actual drag of their own, and they contribute very little mass to your vessel and practically no drag at all.

They have these standard part parameters:

PhysicsSignificance = 1 
mass = 0.05
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.0001
minimum_drag = 0.0001
angularDrag = 0.0005

I've been using Smart Parts for ages and have never noticed any drag issues with these parts. If any of these parts are causing the issue, I think you might have something wrong with your setup.

(Actually, if my failing memory serves, back in the distant past they might have been a bit draggy, but that was before linuxgurugamer took over their maintenance.)

The fuel flow breaker parts also look to have fairly standard drag figures. 

Thanks @UnanimousCoward I was referring to the controllers and you are right they seem already physicsless and I always thought this means also without drag (which it is not the case, so I learned something :)). The values in the config seem indeed very low.

However when I activated the debug mode during a launch I experienced it differently. Do you have any explanation for this high discrepancy? Based on the config files I assumed they should be lower than the radial drogue chute?

Edit: I did check with the thermometer and the barometer as well. The drag of the thermometer is very small but the one of the barometer is similar to the smart controllers. I guess the high drag especially in the transonic area could be related to shape but then their shapes do not seem that different? 

2lIsPSS.png

Edited by Alioth81

• 3 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer - Hi!

Do you know if there is an easy way to increase the length of the plumes coming from these drain valves? I am trying to use them to replicate the venting from SuperHeavy and StarShip, but they are pretty tiny in comparison:

IRL

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOXux_P-PmViOcB6TzL7t50t1Av_WRz4tThZkuT

KSP

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN_ItyfmqiYJL_Y6RpUytU_NsYGGYcPZqSKGQ4E

Many thanks! :)

24 minutes ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

@linuxgurugamer - Hi!

Do you know if there is an easy way to increase the length of the plumes coming from these drain valves? I am trying to use them to replicate the venting from SuperHeavy and StarShip, but they are pretty tiny in comparison:

IRL

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOXux_P-PmViOcB6TzL7t50t1Av_WRz4tThZkuT

KSP

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN_ItyfmqiYJL_Y6RpUytU_NsYGGYcPZqSKGQ4E

Many thanks! :)

Two things:  First, I can't see those pictures.  Second, what does this have to do with SmartParts?

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Two things:  First, I can't see those pictures.  Second, what does this have to do with SmartParts?

My apologies, I thought I had mode those public. Insert from image constantly going red when I try it. The upshot is that actual venting plumes are 25 times longer than those from the part

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2wbi2u4veek2yk/SH Booster 4 venting side by side.PNG

Also, I am using the Fuel Valve smart part from this mod, sorry that wasn't clear!

Edited by RealTimeShepherd

37 minutes ago, RealTimeShepherd said:

My apologies, I thought I had mode those public. Insert from image constantly going red when I try it. The upshot is that actual venting plumes are 25 times longer than those from the part

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2wbi2u4veek2yk/SH Booster 4 venting side by side.PNG

Also, I am using the Fuel Valve smart part from this mod, sorry that wasn't clear!

Not really, that's baked into the parts,

You may want to look at Vapor Vent:

• 2 weeks later...

First off, thanks for maintaining this mod, I use it extensively for automating my launch vehicles and the versatility is wonderful.

At the moment I working on implementing a multi mode abort system utilizing this system but there seems to be a mission link: a relay that can be disabled.  The purpose of the relay would serve as an interface between the abort command button (backspace) and multiple abort options which are arranged in extended action groups so that only one of them is activated; one relay is on, three are off, all four of these relays are commanded by [backspace] to execute, but only those which are on would actually execute the command relay to the appropriate action group.  

The abort modes and switching I'm trying to implement:

Launch command begins startup procedures, Switch to Mode 0.

If engine failure, execute:

Mode 0 - Pad Static Abort: Shut down S-1 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, Switch to Mode 0.5

If catastrophic failure, execute: (engine explodes, sympathetic detonations, etc.)

Mode 0.5 - Pad LES Abort: Fire LES motors, decouple service module

Launch clamp release, Switch to Mode 1.

If engine out causes <1.1 TWR, or catastrophic failure, execute:

Mode 1 - S-1 LES Abort: Shut down S-1 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, fire LES motors, decouple SM, activate 5 second delay on S-1/2 Range Safety Device

Staging to S-2, Switch to Mode 2.

If catastrophic failure, or more than one engine fails, execute:

Mode 2 - S-2 LES Abort: Shut down S-2 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, fire LES motors, decouple SM, activate 5 second delay on S-2 Range Safety Device

Velocity/altitude exceed LES/CM survivability, Jetison LES, Switch to Mode 3.

Mode 3 - S-2 Stage Abort (To Orbit): Shut down S-2 engines, execute early staging

I have managed to arrange for all of the above, but the only thing I have not be able to achieve is selective command forwarding, so for now [backspace] is basically permanently locked to mode 1 and the others get assigned to number keys.

ETA: The timer block would work just fine if I could use action groups to switch its ability to function on and off.

Edited by Yaivenov

17 hours ago, Yaivenov said:

First off, thanks for maintaining this mod, I use it extensively for automating my launch vehicles and the versatility is wonderful.

At the moment I working on implementing a multi mode abort system utilizing this system but there seems to be a mission link: a relay that can be disabled.  The purpose of the relay would serve as an interface between the abort command button (backspace) and multiple abort options which are arranged in extended action groups so that only one of them is activated; one relay is on, three are off, all four of these relays are commanded by [backspace] to execute, but only those which are on would actually execute the command relay to the appropriate action group.  

The abort modes and switching I'm trying to implement:

Launch command begins startup procedures, Switch to Mode 0.

If engine failure, execute:

Mode 0 - Pad Static Abort: Shut down S-1 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, Switch to Mode 0.5

If catastrophic failure, execute: (engine explodes, sympathetic detonations, etc.)

Mode 0.5 - Pad LES Abort: Fire LES motors, decouple service module

Launch clamp release, Switch to Mode 1.

If engine out causes <1.1 TWR, or catastrophic failure, execute:

Mode 1 - S-1 LES Abort: Shut down S-1 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, fire LES motors, decouple SM, activate 5 second delay on S-1/2 Range Safety Device

Staging to S-2, Switch to Mode 2.

Mode 2 - S-2 LES Abort: Shut down S-2 engines, shutdown ascent guidance, fire LES motors, decouple SM, activate 5 second delay on S-2 Range Safety Device

Velocity/altitude exceed LES/CM survivability, Jetison LES, Switch to Mode 3.

Mode 3 - S-2 Stage Abort (To Orbit): Shut down S-2 engines, execute early staging

I have managed to arrange for all of the above, but the only thing I have not be able to achieve is selective command forwarding, so for now [backspace] is basically permanently locked to mode 1 and the others get assigned to number keys.

ETA: The timer block would work just fine if I could use action groups to switch its ability to function on and off.

You may want to look at:  

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You may want to look at:  

Why are you so good to us? :)

ETA: after reviewing Bob's Panic Box I find it does what I have already managed to do in a slimmer format but it does not feature the mode switching I am seeking to achieve: The ability to change which action groups the abort executes during flight based on preset parameters.

Edited by Yaivenov

• 3 weeks later...

If you ever decide to expand this mod, I would really love to have a sunlight sensor to fire action groups to turn on an electrolysis module during the day and turn on an H2-O2 fuel cell at night.  Any way to edit the code on one of your parts to sense daylight? 

16 hours ago, RiverRat2800 said:

If you ever decide to expand this mod, I would really love to have a sunlight sensor to fire action groups to turn on an electrolysis module during the day and turn on an H2-O2 fuel cell at night.  Any way to edit the code on one of your parts to sense daylight? 

Not planning on that.  Also no sure what it would take to sense daylight

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.