[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

12 hours ago, FiiZzioN said:

I still would love to have either the Speedometer or another part be able to trigger an event at (or past) a certain G force. It would also help make throttle profiles a breeze so crew members don't go into G-lock or die in an extreme situation.

That would be some sort of G force sensor.  Anyone want to make a model, the code isn't that difficult.

• 1 month later...

I'm missing a part that is capable of reading the internal temperature of the part it's attached to... this of course should be heat resistant to a higher degree.
In my case of interest it should either stop the fuel flow or limit it to a percentage..
I could have used it for an turbojet engine at high utilization at mach > 6 at altitude > 40 km (RSS)...

New release, 1.9.6:
    These changes are thanks to @rakkhin (github user account)

•     Altimeter can now be set with both Kilometers and meters
  •     Speedomenter can monitor different kinds of speed
  •     Assemblyversion.tt updated with path-independent code

Note this is still for 1.2.2

Is there a way I can find the 1.2.2 version? Smart Parts for 1.3.0 crashes the  1.2.2 game. I know it's Smart Parts because the game ran fine with any mod but Smart Parts, but crashed in a stock 1.2.2 game with it installed.

Edit: Nevermind Got It

Edited by Steeeeve

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-28 at 0:37 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.7:

• Updated for 1.3

Hy! first of all, thanks for the great mod. Not only they are very usefull but they look soo cool.

However, it is not available in CKAN.    (I made some confusion, sorry)

Thanks

Edited by felcas

On 5/29/2017 at 3:16 AM, Steeeeve said:

Is there a way I can find the 1.2.2 version? Smart Parts for 1.3.0 crashes the  1.2.2 game. I know it's Smart Parts because the game ran fine with any mod but Smart Parts, but crashed in a stock 1.2.2 game with it installed.

Edit: Nevermind Got It

Could you provide a link, can't seem to find a download for 1.2.2

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, jdm4900 said:

Could you provide a link, can't seem to find a download for 1.2.2

Thanks! :)

Welcome to the forums!

To get all older downloads, go to the SmartParts SpaceDock page (https://spacedock.info/mod/614/SmartParts/), click the button labeled "Changelog" and then find the version you want (each option will included a line saying which KSP version it is for). You'll want the most recent one that still says "for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello @linuxgurugamer, thanks for keeping this mod going!

I have a suggestion for a part that would help me greatly in making my rockets behave as I want them to, and that's a Periapsis/Apoapsis detector. I play with MechJeb's Ascent Guidance for my launches, and sometimes I have spare fuel for the launcher, resulting in debris in space. Enter the periapsis/apoapsis detector. Similar to the altitude detector, it would be able to stage or activate action groups. This way I can cut the engine and dump my booster so it can tumble down for recovery (StageRecovery, FMRS or similar).

It would have the same options as the ALT-Pro altimeter and action group trigger, where it can trigger on ascent, descent or all. It would have another option that lets you choose if it is a periapsis or apoapsis sensor, obviously.

Thoughts about that? I took a peek at the source, but while I've done some Unity dev, I have no experience writing KSP mods. I'd write a patch for you if I could though!

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Can you do 3d modeling?

The code isn't difficult, but I don't do modeling.

Unfortunately, I'm no good at 3d modeling, and I have no clue how to do it for KSP either. Is it possible to reuse an existing part (such as the altimeter) and change the texture?

An alternative would be to weave this into the altimeter functionality. An option "slider" above the kilometer/meters option box, "Altitude, Periapsis, Apoapsis".

Edited by Tivec

22 minutes ago, Tivec said:

Unfortunately, I'm no good at 3d modeling, and I have no clue how to do it for KSP either. Is it possible to reuse an existing part (such as the altimeter) and change the texture?

An alternative would be to weave this into the altimeter functionality. An option "slider" above the kilometer/meters option box, "Altitude, Periapsis, Apoapsis".

I'll think about it.  The problem is that this is starting to take the functionality out of the range of a smart part and into the range of a dumb auto pilot, which I've been avoiding.  

In fact, I've been asked for somewhat similar things in the past.  

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll think about it.  The problem is that this is starting to take the functionality out of the range of a smart part and into the range of a dumb auto pilot, which I've been avoiding.  

In fact, I've been asked for somewhat similar things in the past.  

Understood. I know I can achieve similar things using mods such as kOS, but I'm more a fan of Smart Parts - easier for most players to work with :) But that said, you're the maintainer of the mod, and you obviously steer the direction of it :)

9 minutes ago, Tivec said:

Understood. I know I can achieve similar things using mods such as kOS, but I'm more a fan of Smart Parts - easier for most players to work with :) But that said, you're the maintainer of the mod, and you obviously steer the direction of it :)

I've put it in as an enhancement request

55 minutes ago, Kenny Kerman said:

It's just an issue of zero vertical speed, so an option in a speedometer would do the trick : "only V-Speed" or "only H-Speed" or "total Speed". With a "on VSpeed zero decreasing", you have the apoapsis time.

That is a different meter, called a VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator) meter

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 28/05/2017 at 0:37 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.9.7:

• Updated for 1.3

Hy! first of all, thanks for the great mod. Not only they are very usefull but they look soo cool.

However, it is not available in CKAN. Is there anyproblem or you just don't want/forgot/something else?

Thanks

Hy, anyone had any interaction problems while using both Smart Parts and Action Groups Extended? 
Smart Parts was working perfectly until I installed AGE then I had problem with SP and I couldn't make use of AGE as well. Uninstalled AGE and SP is working ok again.

2 hours ago, felcas said:

However, it is not available in CKAN. Is there anyproblem or you just don't want/forgot/something else?

Thanks

Hy, anyone had any interaction problems while using both Smart Parts and Action Groups Extended? 
Smart Parts was working perfectly until I installed AGE then I had problem with SP and I couldn't make use of AGE as well. Uninstalled AGE and SP is working ok again.

Refresh your CKAN, it is there.

There does seem to be some funky stuff going on with CKAN, though

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Refresh your CKAN, it is there.

There does seem to be some funky stuff going on with CKAN, though

Actually the 1st question was pretty old and I already installed it from CKAN, thanks anyway.
My concern is for the 2nd question, which I am having compactibility issues.

1 hour ago, felcas said:

Actually the 1st question was pretty old and I already installed it from CKAN, thanks anyway.
My concern is for the 2nd question, which I am having compactibility issues.

Are you running 1.2.2 or 1.3?

if 1.3, see the following:

LG, as everyone else is saying, thank you very much for keeping this alive, it's a very cool and useful mod.

One thing I noticed is that of the sensor/detector trigger units, all have a scale slider except the Comm-Pro, EC Level, and Resource Level sensors. It's a minor thing and considering your mod support load I normally wouldn't bring it up but I'm pretty sure this is a straightforward and easy fix that won't take much time. 

And the reason is that the 100% size units are pretty big, I like to leave them at 100% until I have everything working and then move them to 50% so big orange boxes aren't sticking out all over. At 50% they are reasonably clean and look much more like they belong on the rocket at that scale.

But of course no one's life depends on it and I'll still be happy with it and thankful you're supporting it even if you don't get around to fixing that. 

Edited by vossiewulf
grammar

you can add

@PART[km_smart_*]{
    %rescaleFactor = 0.5
    %mass = 0.005
}

in some .cfg file at the end of the gamedata directory. So when the mod is updated your parts stay the same. I have a "zmyfixes.cfg" file in the last directory of gamedata:

// -----------------------------------------------------------
//   Kerbal Space Program
//      Part files fixes
//      needs "Module Manager"
// -----------------------------------------------------------

@PART[km_smart_*]{
    %rescaleFactor = 0.5
    %mass = 0.005
}
@PART[*chute*]{
    %category = Ground
}
@PART[*battery*]{
    %PhysicsSignificance = 1
}
@PART[graphotron]{
    TechRequired = start
}

So you can tune things at your desire, without having to do that each time a mod is updated.

Of course, a 50kg altimeter is quiet unbalanced.

Edited by Kenny Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.