[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

On 4/27/2019 at 11:38 PM, Rocket88 said:

Thanks for reply's.  Honestly now that I think about it I could easily just  set a timer to activate Altimeter Module after it passes 75km descent or have 1 Altimeter set at 75km descent (Mun) activate another Altimeter set to 75km descent  (Kerbin) that is linked to the action groups. Just a little Pre Planning, That is why I love Smart Parts so much makes you think about craft design. So Body option is really not necessary. I am sure you have other projects way more important.

Thanks again for all your work, a lot of mods would be forgotten with time if you did not keep them going

not 75km descent (Mun)

use 5 meter descent

to activate right before landing

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ummm, why?  It's really meant for use in atmosphere, and if you are going faster than that, you have other issues.

Switching engines and other shenanigans with spaceplanes. 1000 is slow for spaceplanes ;)

2 hours ago, Vegetal said:

Switching engines and other shenanigans with spaceplanes. 1000 is slow for spaceplanes ;)

Good point.

So I'll have a toggle, which will toggle the range between the current 1000 and 5000, will that be sufficient?

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Good point.

So I'll have a toggle, which will toggle the range between the current 1000 and 5000, will that be sufficient?

Well it's plenty for my uses. You, sir, are awesome.

New release, 1.9.13.5

• Added toggle to change the highest velocity in the speedometer
  • Added new smart part SmartSRB, which will stage when the TWR of the SRB by itself drops to a specified value.  Primarily intended for use with BetterSRBs

Pinging @OhioBob  you might want to make this a recommended mod because of the new SmartSRB 

Also, anyone who can update a model's textures, please contact me about this mod

Man, I love this mod so much! Sensors add so many possibilities! I think I've used every sensor on one of my rockets now, and when breaking ground comes out I can't wait to combine them with whatever contraptions I can make!

Just curious, would it be practical or indeed possible to implement a light sensor (maybe using solar panel logic), so in future a rover can seamlessly switch between fuel cells and solar power (opening a cargo bay to reveal the panels) automatically?

51 minutes ago, dockingtutorialimpossible said:

Man, I love this mod so much! Sensors add so many possibilities! I think I've used every sensor on one of my rockets now, and when breaking ground comes out I can't wait to combine them with whatever contraptions I can make!

Just curious, would it be practical or indeed possible to implement a light sensor (maybe using solar panel logic), so in future a rover can seamlessly switch between fuel cells and solar power (opening a cargo bay to reveal the panels) automatically?

ODFC (On Demand Fuel Cells) might also be helpful for this. Don't know if has been updated recently - or if even works.

PS: just realized that ODFC is a smartpart.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

48 minutes ago, dockingtutorialimpossible said:

I think you can do this without, though it might require a small MM patch.  Many mods will have their fuel cells to only fill EC to 95% or so - Set a part to open the cargo bay when EC falls below 50% or so, and another to close when it's above 96%.  The EC will fall when the solar isn't working, the fuel cells will fill to *almost* full, and when they actually fill it means the solar is working again.

(Note that the point of having the fuel cells only fill to 95% is because it means that they automatically shut down if there's enough solar...)

Hey man, I tested the speed toggle, and it didn't work for me. I selected the desired speed in the VAB, but when launched, the speedometer reverts to default (limited to 1000), and the limit now becomes 1000m/s, as it's the highest.

I think this could be a small fix on your part, but if you need screens, logs, mods, whatever, just ask and I'll post here.

43 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is this intended?
dpsxMk4.jpg

A total of 3 triggers, also the 3rd one could do "Stage" ...

And btw, the SmartSRB does not like RF-fuels like PSPC ...

It should be the same as some of the other smart sensor, its there to support ActionGroupsExtended

43 minutes ago, Vegetal said:

Hey man, I tested the speed toggle, and it didn't work for me. I selected the desired speed in the VAB, but when launched, the speedometer reverts to default (limited to 1000), and the limit now becomes 1000m/s, as it's the highest.

I think this could be a small fix on your part, but if you need screens, logs, mods, whatever, just ask and I'll post here.

I’ll take a look tomorrow

43 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

And btw, the SmartSRB does not like RF-fuels like PSPC

What is PSPC?  If the throttle isn’t fixed, then it’s not considered an SRB.  

Edit:

It seems that RealFuels replaces the stock module with it’s own.  I’ll have to look at that, may be a problem

Edited by linuxgurugamer

10 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I just used the "normal" km_smart_fuel as a replacement last night.

Send me the ModuleManager.ConfigCache

I'm pretty sure that RF replaces the engine module with it's own, if so, getting it added to SP will have to wait a bit

It's just "ModuleEnginesRF" for the engine, "ModuleEngineConfigs" for the several possible engine configs and "ModuleFuelTanks" for the contents.

In short, excerpt from ModuleManager.ConfigCache, the specific part I used last night

[snip]

In long, the full ModuleManager.ConfigCache (plus logs, why not):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niemf4syric2kov/output_log.txt and stuff 2019-05-31-01.zip?dl=1

btw, checking the contents myself I just stumbled upon something and quickly added a custom patch:

Spoiler

GameData\zFinal\zzz_GPOSpeedFuelPumpRemoveFromSRBs.cfg

//This file removes the GPOSpeed Fuel Pump from any part that got ModuleEngines* with EngineType = SolidBooster
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[#EngineType[SolidBooster]],@MODULE[GPOSpeedPump]]:NEEDS[GPOSpeedFuelPump]:FINAL
{
	!MODULE[GPOSpeedPump] {}
}

Edited by Gargamel
Huge code file snipped

On 5/31/2019 at 10:00 AM, Gordon Dry said:

t's just "ModuleEnginesRF" for the engine,

This is the engine module, and it is not a stock engine module, as I've said before.  This is not trivial, since I need to adjust the build process to have the RF mod installed during the build, and to add checking to avoid calling it if it's not installed.

I'll get to it, but I'm rather busy right now with a couple of 1.7.1 bugs which are affecting everybody who uses FilterExtensions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for keeping this mod alive @linuxgurugamer.

I have a suggestion I think might be useful (but if anyone can point out a way of doing this with existing parts, please disregard).

Triggers based on AP and PE values on ascent or descent... Example, you might want to cut fuel or shutdown engines at an AP of 80km on launch. Another example, I try to avoid leaving any spent used stages in orbit after launch, so eg: staging second last stage at a PE of around 20km so that it will return to Kerbin, leaving only a small bit of dv spent to finalise maneuver for the orbiting vessel.

I hope that makes sense, I'm re-reading it and not sure if it's explaining what I mean properly...

I can also maybe see this as being useful for dropping stages during reentry for something like a Soyuz style vessel (of course, that can also be achieved with the altitude sensors).

25 minutes ago, Fly Angry said:

Triggers based on AP and PE values on ascent or descent...

It's  been requested before, and the answer is still going to be the same. That is venturing too much into the realm of an autopilot.

You can do pretty much the same with both the altimeter or the fues sensor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.