[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

No probs, thanks anyway. :)  I took a stab at the code myself a while back and screwed something together that kind of worked, but I can achieve the desired results manually with action groups anyways. Flow controllers very useful for that!

@linuxgurugamer, For Breaking Ground onwards...

Is it possible to incorporate Action Sets into the mod so that in addition to being able to specify an Action Group to execute, I can also refine it to an Action Group within a specific Action Set as well?

For example, I might have a set of actions to control starting and stopping Fuel Cells in AG1, AG2 (rather than using 1 AG for Toggle, I want to start from a known state). With Action Sets support, I'm hoping I'll be able to specify an AS4/AG1, AS4/AG2 instead. That way, I can define SmartParts related actions in say, Action Set 4; while the default set is reserved for flight ops related stuff, for example.

Thanks!

Apparently a smart part can toggle staging even in timewarp and even with staging locked, took me a while to realize why my Minmus sample return vessel decouples it's descent stage well before the landing.

1 hour ago, bcqJC said:

@linuxgurugamer, For Breaking Ground onwards...

Is it possible to incorporate Action Sets into the mod so that in addition to being able to specify an Action Group to execute, I can also refine it to an Action Group within a specific Action Set as well?

For example, I might have a set of actions to control starting and stopping Fuel Cells in AG1, AG2 (rather than using 1 AG for Toggle, I want to start from a known state). With Action Sets support, I'm hoping I'll be able to specify an AS4/AG1, AS4/AG2 instead. That way, I can define SmartParts related actions in say, Action Set 4; while the default set is reserved for flight ops related stuff, for example.

Thanks!

I assume an Action Set is for the robotic controls?  Right now, no.  I'm in the middle of updating all my mods (>180), and can't make those kinds of changes right now, please open an issue on Github and I'll mark it as a feature request

25 minutes ago, Eklykti said:

Apparently a smart part can toggle staging even in timewarp and even with staging locked, took me a while to realize why my Minmus sample return vessel decouples it's descent stage well before the landing.

Really?  That's, ummm, interesting.

I'll look into it as a bug

I tried looking through the threads but nothing really showed up. 

I can't figure out how to use the radio. 

So i gotta press the sync heading on all of them and have them all be active, then pick on and press match heading on it? or press match heading then press transmit command? cause none of the combinations really worked. I can post a log if it helps. 

8 hours ago, pejmany said:

I tried looking through the threads but nothing really showed up. 

I can't figure out how to use the radio. 

So i gotta press the sync heading on all of them and have them all be active, then pick on and press match heading on it? or press match heading then press transmit command? cause none of the combinations really worked. I can post a log if it helps. 

Did you read the previous thread?  The radio is described in the graphic at the top of that thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 8:13 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you read the previous thread?  The radio is described in the graphic at the top of that thread

Yes, but it's only a few lines. Sorry if I'm missing something, but the implementation is more complex than those few lines. 

I tried a bunch of experimentation to figure out if there's a way to set up a "leader", and was mainly asking to make sure whether it's my mod or game that is the problem, or I'm just misunderstanding how to set it up. 

58 minutes ago, BaelRathLian said:

Love this mod.

I was just looking at an old mod called "Radial Engine for spacecraft - T.G.O.L group", think it was on spacedock.  I didn't see a way to contact the mod maker.  Do you know anyone that has been updating old mods like this one? 

It has an ARR license, so it can’t be updated.  All you can do is send a message to him via the forums and hope he replies

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting back into KSP after a few years away and updating everything to 1.73 when I noticed something I remember from using Smart Parts before. I use Timers extensively to automate timing for orbital burns. Using Maneuver Node Evolved I get precise engine start times and burn duration. I then use two timers, one set to count down to the burn and triggering an action group that activates the engine and starts the second timer that is set for the burn duration, triggering another action group that shuts the engine down and resets both timers for use again on another burn. It works exceptionally well, but there's some difficulty in setting the burn timer due to the way the times are displayed.

When setting a timer in minutes it's granular to within 15 seconds, but the number displayed in the slider is always rounded off to the nearest whole minute. So if you set a timer for 5 minutes and 30 seconds, the value displayed is 6 minutes. (5.5 minutes rounded to 6 for display purposes) It actually DOES count down 5 minutes 30 seconds, but getting the slider onto just the right fraction of a minute can be tricky since it doesn't show what fraction of a minute you've set. (i.e. it shows a value of "6" if you have it set for either 5.5 minutes or 5.75 minutes) Same thing when the timer is set to seconds... the slider is granular to within 0.05 seconds, but it always rounds the displayed value off to the nearest whole second, making it difficult to select 3.85 seconds (for example) without carefully counting how many notches up along the slider you are.

Here is a URL to a picture showing a timer set for 5.5 seconds to demonstrate what I mean:

https://ufile.io/3pyj095r

Would it be possible to increase the display value to show two digits behind the decimal place instead of rounding off to the nearest whole number? It would making using timers accurately SO much less frustrating!

Even if the answer is just a flat "No", Smart Parts is STILL one of my "must have" mods! I don't like full autopilots because it takes all the fun out of the game, but setting up timers for an automated burn myself, having to go through and configure the timers with such precision, then getting to watch the burn go off due to my hard work setting it up... is VERY rewarding! Thank you SO much for keeping this mod alive!

9 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@RobertaME that is a file host service not a pic host service, because opening that link does not show the pic but a download button. Just saying.

::blink::

Ummmm... last I checked, pictures WERE files.

Seriously though, I don't use any pic hosting services and don't want to go through a lengthy sign-up process just to show a picture of what I mean. (especially since the picture isn't really needed to understand what I'm talking about)

The service is free, I don't have to sign up for anything to use it, and it works. You just DL the file instead of having it displayed for you is all. It's a JPG file, so it's not like it can carry a Trojan or anything.

14 hours ago, RobertaME said:

Would it be possible to increase the display value to show two digits behind the decimal place instead of rounding off to the nearest whole number? It would making using timers accurately SO much less

Not sure, that may be a limitation of the PAW, but I’ll look into it.

edit: it is doable, what I’ll do is add one decimal for the seconds and two decimals for the minutes, will see how that looks before I release it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure, that may be a limitation of the PAW, but I’ll look into it.

edit: it is doable, what I’ll do is add one decimal for the seconds and two decimals for the minutes, will see how that looks before I release it

You sir, are awesome! I REALLY appreciate you taking the time to look into it!

@RobertaME you can use imgur.com, without signing in and embed the pictures on this forum without issues. Or you create an account there and have your own history and categories...

And ofc pictures are files. But downloadable files are meant to be downloaded in the first place (like .zip archives or .exe software), pictures are meant to be shown in the first place.
So the difference between file hoster (download button) and pic hoster (shows pic).

Quick showcase, creating a screenshot of the website (visible area) with Firefox addon (Screengrab!), uploading to imgur in a sec (also with that addon) and embedding it here:

Spoiler

JKILJVH.png

Edited by Gordon Dry

Works great! Though I wish you'd done it the other way around, one decimal place for minutes and two for seconds (or two for both) because it still rounds off to the nearest tenth when setting seconds, so both 5.45 and 5.5 seconds show as "5.5" on the display, but that's just getting picky. It's WAY easier to use now with the kind of precision I try for. Thank you SO much!

Now I'm off to finish making my KerbNet satellite network for the game that I started playing back on 1.3.1 that I ported over to the current version. (after testing all 84 mods out first in a test game) :cool:

11 hours ago, RobertaME said:

Works great! Though I wish you'd done it the other way around, one decimal place for minutes and two for seconds (or two for both) because it still rounds off to the nearest tenth when setting seconds, so both 5.45 and 5.5 seconds show as "5.5" on the display, but that's just getting picky. It's WAY easier to use now with the kind of precision I try for. Thank you SO much!

Now I'm off to finish making my KerbNet satellite network for the game that I started playing back on 1.3.1 that I ported over to the current version. (after testing all 84 mods out first in a test game) :cool:

That doesn't make sense.  There is no way you can accurately adjust the timer to 1/100 of a second, even 1/10 is hard enough.  But for the minutes, it's more doable

The minutes slider is on a 5 minute scale with 20 steps along the slider, equating to a 0.25 minute (15 second) granularity. The seconds slider is on a 1 second scale with 20 steps along the slider representing 0.05 second granularity. (1/20th of a second) I use this to time burn duration which needs to be as accurate as possible. A 0.05 second difference in burn time can equate to Ap being Km off just in LKO, even more so for interplanetary flights. However, it's not a big deal having seconds rounded to the nearest tenth... I can easily find the difference between 0.45 and 0.5 seconds (both of which round off to 0.5 displayed) by moving the slider slightly. If I move the slider to the right one notch and the displayed value doesn't change then it's now at 0.5 and was at 0.45. If I need 0.45 then I just slide it to the left one notch and I'm good! WAY easier than counting 7 or 8 notches or more before you added the tenths display.

I am in the middle of fixing some mod problems (not yours, it's related to KerbinSide Complete which I'm thinking of dropping in favor of Kerbin Side Remastered) so I can't get any screenshots to show you what I mean, so I hope my above explanation is sufficient.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE it if you updated it to show two decimal places on the seconds scale, but even if you don't I REALLY appreciate what you've done. Even just maintaining the mod so it still works is enough for me! THANK YOU!

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SilverlightPony said:

Is there a more precise way to set the parameters for the altimeter?  I want to set it to trigger at 60km altitude, but it jumps straight from 50 to 75.

Set it to 50, then click inside the bar and drag it left and right to adjust.

Edited by Geonovast

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Hey @linuxgurugamer, don't know if this has mentioned before, the text "Total Comm Loss"  from the Comm-Pro controller is unreadable. No biggie, just thought to let you know. :) 

86865e3f79ecfd3d8a02603c1bff5506-full.pn

I think most of them are broken.

Timed trigger has white boxes instead of time adjustments, the same UI problem @Lisias is having with the Tweakscale right now.

Same goes with Altimeter sensor, Proximity sensor and Speedometer.

EC level detector and SRB Monitor are also currently missing their percentage bars.

Edited by Problemless Mods Wanter
Tagged Lisias, in case of a solution found in this topic.

23 minutes ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

I think most of them are broken.

Until the moment, I tracked down the faulty Widgets to be UI_ScaleEdit and UI_FloatRange . The pattern appears to be widgets handling Float values.

There are more? We are already deep buried on the mess, we can do some pro-active bug hunting and provide the guys a full report.

I gone Combinatorial Analysis on the thing, including compiling TweakScale with .NET 3.5 but against Unity 2019 Libraries, and the thing still works on KSP 1.7, but still borks on KSP 1.8.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.