[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

This is a continuation of the old Smart Parts mod, by @Firov.  I've decided to create a new thread moving forward.

The old thread is here:   http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/58338-104-smart-parts-v166-dds-textures-and-bug-fixes-july-5/, and has  lots of very useful discussions and usage examples

It's been improved with new parts and is compatible with 1.2

Download: http://spacedock.info/mod/614/SmartParts/download/

Source Code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KerbalSmartParts

License:  CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

bsYV8a2.jpg

Smart Parts Pack

Parts Overview:

• Auto-staging device that detects empty tanks and SRBs
  • Timer that triggers stages and action groups after a countdown
  • Remote controller that triggers actions on nearby vessels
  • Altimeter device that triggers actions and stages once a user defined altitude is reached
  • Radial fuel controllers that control fuel lines' flow
  • In-line fuel controller that controls fuel flow
  • A fuel valve to dump excess fuel and produce slight thrust
  • Proximity sensor capable of detecting other proximity sensors

About the Pack:

Smart Parts can trigger all 10 action groups, as well as various other functionality such as SAS, lights, stage, or abort.

Parts:

Staging Controllers

-------------------

The Staging Controllers can be attached to any part that contains a resource. The device detects when the selected resource is depleted on that tank and then fires the selected action group or stage. Fully supports real fuels.

Fuel Breakers and Controllers

-------------------

Controls fuel drain via action groups and a context menu. Breakers break one large fuel tank into segments that fuel lines can individually drain, far less shifting overall center of mass.

Radio Controller

-------------------

Sends events to other radio controllers on a channel. All radio controllers in range (typically < 2000 m) will execute the command if the channel matches. You can also set the throttle and heading of remote vessels.

Timer

-------------------

Triggers a delayed staging or action group event. The staging event is executed on the vessel to which the timer is attached, therefore able to trigger a timed action even on an inactive vessel (e.g., a separated booster). The timer itself can be activated via staging.

Valve

-------------------

Drains any excess resources, except electricity. Attach it to the tank that you would like to drain and then activate via action group or staging. Produces a small amount of thrust, useful for nudging external tanks away from the main craft. Fully supports real fuels.

Altimeter

-------------------

Capable of detecting when the craft hits a specified altitude, and if it's ascending, descending, or either, and then firing an action group or staging. Useful for auto-jettisoning fairings on ascent, or activating parachutes on landing.

Proximity Detector

------------------

Monitors other proximity detectors that are configured on the same 'channel' (20 total) and can fire actions on local and remote craft. As with altimeter, it is capable of firing on approach, departure, or both. Capable of automatic reset.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

I think speedometer should be closer in the line of techtree.

Currently most (4) of the smart parts are gathered in Scanning tech. I think they should be scattered around.

That would give more excitement to it in my opinion.

Not sure what you mean?  You mean earlier in the tree?

and, since you seem to want some excitement, why not make a specific suggestion as to what goes where?

Yes i meant earlier in the tree, for speedometer.

And If it's not being too bald, of course i'd like to share my opinions;

• Since everything is about speed and velocity in this game, I think "speedometer" could be given from the start,
  • "Timer Timed Action groups" part, can be in "Engineering 101" this way people would have a chance to practice with smart part components from early on,
  • In my opinion "Altimeter" should be moved to "Survivability" ,
  • "Radio-GAGA" can be in "Advanced" or in regular "Flight control",
  • Proximity is good at "Scanning tech" i think,
  • I can't seem to find "Fuel sensors" right now, but i think they can be also scattered further down the line, Perhaps moved around "High performance fuel systems"?

What do you guys think?

I may edit my post, if I find the other parts. It would also be wonderful to have a info list about which part is where, in this topic.

Thank you so much for hearing me out.

Edited by Smart Parts Wanter

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This is the sort of feedback I like.

Looking for other comments before I do anything.  @Smart Parts Wanter, (like the handle), if there are significant changes to your post, please PM me with it.

Thanks

Of course, thank you so much for keeping this mod alive.

Seriously where are the fuel sensors by the way? I don't think I can find them =D

12 minutes ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Yes i meant earlier in the tree, for speedometer.

And If it's not being too bald, of course i'd like to share my opinions;

• Since everything is about speed and velocity in this game, I think "speedometer" could be given from the start,
  • "Timer Timed Action groups" part, can be in "Engineering 101" this way people would have a chance to practice with smart part components from early on,
  • In my opinion "Altimeter" should be moved to "Survivability" ,
  • "Radio-GAGA" can be in "Advanced" or in regular "Flight control",
  • Proximity is good at "Scanning tech" i think,
  • I can't seem to find "Fuel sensors" right now, but i think they can be also scattered further down the line, Perhaps moved around "High performance fuel systems"?

What do you guys think?

I may edit my post, if I find the other parts.

Thank you so much for hearing me out.

yeah, nice feedback... buuuuuuuttt:

Altimeter is usefull for ascend as well, which is why its fits better in the control / utility tab instead of "surviving an ascend".

i.e. retracting landing gear on ascend.

Edit: figured out u r speaking bout tech-tree progression - anyway "surviivability" doesnt fit IMHO.

Edit2: altimeter should stick together with proximity sensor, since both are measuring a distance.

Edited by Speadge

4 minutes ago, Speadge said:

yeah, nice feedback... buuuuuuuttt:

Altimeter is usefull for ascend as well, which is why its fits better in the control / utility tab instead of "surviving an ascend".

i.e. retracting landing gear on ascend.

Edit: figured out u r speaking bout tech-tree progression - anyway "surviivability" doesnt fit IMHO.

Edit2: altimeter should stick together with proximity sensor, since both are measuring a distance.

Yes but one is measuring celestial bodies one is measuring other objects, closer distance you might say. I don't know which one would be harder to research though.

1 minute ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Yes but one is measuring celestial bodies one is measuring other objects, closer distance you might say. I don't know which one would be harder to research though.

well, a spacecraft has a built-in altimeter (even a radar~) - so it should be easiest to use this as a trigger

Edited by Speadge

Early space vehicles didn't have an altimeter.  In fact, early planes didn't have one either.

So, I would say that the altimeter should be low but not immediate, proximity sensor should be higher

Let's not cloud the topic. It all depends how the player engages with the game.
Why don't you crate a poll linuxgurugamer?

Let's see what most of the people want.

Once I see a number of choices, I'll set up a poll.  Right now I more in the "let's get some different ideas" phase

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Early space vehicles didn't have an altimeter.  In fact, early planes didn't have one either.

So, I would say that the altimeter should be low but not immediate, proximity sensor should be higher

I agree with this because you can use proximity while docking, and I believe most people think that docking is an advanced stage of the game. In fact very advanced.

Fuel sensors to me sound like they shouldn't require anything advanced - and are something you'd have a sensor on anyway.  If it's not at the start, it should be very early.  Basic or General rocketry make sense to me, as that's the first couple of LF rocket engines.  (Maybe General Rocketry, if you want to put it a bit: Have the idea be that the first few LF rockets they just fired off, but they soon learned to put fuel gauges in.)

2 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Fuel sensors to me sound like they shouldn't require anything advanced - and are something you'd have a sensor on anyway.  If it's not at the start, it should be very early.  Basic or General rocketry make sense to me, as that's the first couple of LF rocket engines.  (Maybe General Rocketry, if you want to put it a bit: Have the idea be that the first few LF rockets they just fired off, but they soon learned to put fuel gauges in.)

Well to be honest, I was just trying to keep something far in the tech tree for the sake of mod's motivation to invest in expensive nodes. Who knows though may be linuxgurugamer comes up with  totally new advanced smart parts for those areas of the tech tree..

Well to be honest, I was just trying to keep something far in the tech tree for the sake of mod's motivation to invest in expensive nodes. Who knows though may be linuxgurugamer comes up with  totally new advanced smart parts for those areas of the tech tree..

If that's a goal, my thought would be to have upgrades to the parts that can be unlocked late.  Extra range to the proximity sensor (or extra resolution, if that can be done) or being able to have proximity to things other than other ships are first thoughts.

3 minutes ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

yeah, there should be an "electro-meter" that deploy solarpanels when i have forgotton to do so... again....

or at least stop timewarp and warn me :D

6 minutes ago, Smart Parts Wanter said:

Hee hee.  If someone comes up with an idea for a new smart part, I'd be happy to do the coding.  But I can't do 3D modeling to save my life, so I would need someone else to make the model, like the last one I added.

That being said, I'd love for there to be more of these.  They just need to make sense.

3 minutes ago, Speadge said:

yeah, there should be an "electro-meter" that deploy solarpanels when i have forgotton to do so... again....

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

Hee hee.  If someone comes up with an idea for a new smart part, I'd be happy to do the coding.  But I can't do 3D modeling to save my life, so I would need someone else to make the model, like the last one I added.

That being said, I'd love for there to be more of these.  They just need to make sense.

For this one you should take the same models as the altimeter and just change the texture a little bit

And maybe Radio controller with more range? (Further in the Tech Tree)

4 minutes ago, Sylver said:

For this one you should take the same models as the altimeter and just change the texture a little bit

And maybe Radio controller with more range? (Further in the Tech Tree)

Ummm, you need to be able to do 3D modeling to change the textures properly

Can't do the radio controller I think more range.  that would put the craft out of Physics range

Edited by linuxgurugamer

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ummm, you need to be able to do 3D modeling to change the textures properly

Can't do the radio controller I think more range.  that would put the craft out of Physics range

I would do my best to help with retexturing. Willing to do the research if any new parts created and given that nobody else volunteered yet.

By the way here's an idea for a new part. Since we have CommNet now, there may be a part which gets triggered with the events of connecting or disconnecting from the server. As long as the vessel has enough energy of course.

26 minutes ago, Speadge said:

You can trigger solar panel action groups with the altimeter if you like...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.