[1.12.x] Smart Parts Continued

linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

I would like to draw your attention to a use for the Fuel Valve you may not have considered.  Many of the different life support mods store or collect waste stuff in the command pod and I place a valve on the pod to dump these items.  This is especially useful in career games before resource transfer is possible.  Unfortunately I have to turn off the items I do not want dumped (the fuel valve is not selective) which creates "No Life Support" messages  and other complications.  If you could consider a solution to choose/exclude the resources being released by the valve I believe it would expand the usefulness of the part.  To be helpful I suggest perhaps a menu with check boxes and a "Dump" button?  I am more than confident you will know the best option based upon the code and what is needed.

Thank You very much for all you have done for this game.

4 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Interesting since CKAN reports SM v1.9.12 version compatibility as KSP 1.5.1 - 1.5.99.  Might there be an oversight in the .version file?

My mistake, it has been updated.  Working on too many things, I looked at the wrong file.

Actually released a small bugfix for it last night

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

My mistake, it has been updated.  Working on too many things, I looked at the wrong file.

Actually released a small bugfix for it last night

You're a legend in your own lunchtime. :) If you're ever around Sydney, I'll buy you a beer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Is there functionality in SmartParts to enable engine cutoff at the end of a maneuver node burn? So it cuts off when the defined burn is complete?

To kinda tie in on that:

Is it possible to use AP and PE as triggers?

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Is there functionality in SmartParts to enable engine cutoff at the end of a maneuver node burn? So it cuts off when the defined burn is complete?

No

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

To kinda tie in on that:

Is it possible to use AP and PE as triggers?

No

• 3 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

Hey LGG,

there seem to be a problem with the com-net detector. When putting this on to a new vehicle in a clean 1.61 install and default sandbox and then spawning this vehicle, it throws an argument out of range exception and destroys the staging menu (left) in the flight scene. I also had some problems with the timer. It was throwing an error/exception (not sure which) and was not working. However I can't reproduce this 100%. Maybe it was related. If you check the com-net detector issue one day, maybe put them all on a vehicle and spawn it. I like the possibilities of these parts. I needed to do some orbital captures where I lost radio communication and the Smart Parts should help to stop the engine on communication loss or even trigger a "engine on" on timer and a "engine off" on orbital speed. Looking forward to use them. Would it maybe be possible to make switches like "singe part / current stage / entire ship" on the EC an the fuel level detector changeable in flight?

EDIT: Ah, the other problem is NullRef Spam when one attaches a EC detector to a tank, which has no EC and set the detector to "single part". This is in stager.cs in method "OnFixedUpdate". Seems that one might be fixed via:

if (singlePart == monitoredParts.single && observedPart != null)
=>
if (singlePart == monitoredParts.single && observedPart != null && observedPart.Resources[monitoredResource] != null)

EDIT2:
The first problem with the comnet detector seems to be when it is spawned while set to "stage". If you spawn it set to an AG and later set it to "stage" then one does not seem to have a problem.
I assume the "stage trigger mechanism" screws something up while loading the scene. Puh.

Yes, its definitely an initialization problem. When set to stage while spawning it triggers and stages every single stage in the vehicle. If you spawn on AG1 and switch to STAGE when spawned, one has no problem.

Best Regards
JebsSY

Edited by Jebs_SY

On 2/17/2019 at 5:18 PM, Jebs_SY said:

there seem to be a problem with the com-net detector. When putting this on to a new vehicle in a clean 1.61 install and default sandbox and then spawning this vehicle, it throws an argument out of range exception and destroys the staging menu (left) in the flight scene

Fixed

The first problem with the comnet detector seems to be when it is spawned while set to "stage". If you spawn it set to an AG and later set it to "stage" then one does not seem to have a problem.
I assume the "stage trigger mechanism" screws something up while loading the scene. Puh

Fixed

EDIT: Ah, the other problem is NullRef Spam when one attaches a EC detector to a tank, which has no EC and set the detector to "single part". This is in stager.cs in method "OnFixedUpdate". Seems that one might be fixed via:

Fixed

I also had some problems with the timer. It was throwing an error/exception (not sure which) and was not working.

Unable to replicate, but I added a bit of code just in case

New release, 1.9.13.4

• Fixed DPLD module to only show one of the Group fields
  • Fixed nullref when attaching an EC detector to a tank and having detector set to "single part"
  • Added check to the timer to not do anything in the OnUpdate if physics wasn't ready yet (probably not needed)

• 4 weeks later...

Love the idea of this mod. But I have run into an issue I can't figure out how to fix. I'm assuming not a bug, but rather my lack of experience with mod.

I'm trying to use the electric charge trigger to turn on and off the ore drills. Off when low and on back on when recovered. But here is the issue. If I set the level of recovery to 100 on increase and the battery hits 100 during warp, when it goes out of warp electric is no longer increasing (but now decreasing) and nothing is triggered. I'm assuming that triggers are not checked during warp, but the problem is after exiting warp how should I set triggers to start drill? What I'm doing it's working.

51 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Love the idea of this mod. But I have run into an issue I can't figure out how to fix. I'm assuming not a bug, but rather my lack of experience with mod.

I'm trying to use the electric charge trigger to turn on and off the ore drills. Off when low and on back on when recovered. But here is the issue. If I set the level of recovery to 100 on increase and the battery hits 100 during warp, when it goes out of warp electric is no longer increasing (but now decreasing) and nothing is triggered. I'm assuming that triggers are not checked during warp, but the problem is after exiting warp how should I set triggers to start drill? What I'm doing it's working.

Welcome to the forum :)

Well, there are two things you have to observe: decrease and increase of your battery. Let's say, you want to shut down your drills on 10% EC left and turn on again at 40% (you don't need different values but it's easier in this example).
Put two EC detectors on your ship, create an action group which contains "toggle surface harvester" for all of your drills + "Activate Detection" for both EC detectors!
Set one detector to "10%" & "trigger when decreasing", the other to "40%" & "trigger when increasing" and both detectors need to trigger the same action group.

The thing about these detectors is: they trigger just once and just in "one direction" (increasing or decreasing), so you cannot use a single detector for both. As soon as the detector is triggered, it turns on a red light on the part and you need to activate the trigger again. The example above allows one trigger to reactivate the other trigger (and activate/deactivate the drills of course) so you'll get a perfect loop and you don't have to care about the drills and EC anymore :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Thanks for quick reply! That is exactly what I have set up - just different values - the issue I'm having is when the value goes through the trigger value during warp. Everything works fine if there is never a warp. What I'm trying to do is have the mining setup run while I'm away from it exploring the moon, so that brings up another question which may make warp issue moot. Do the sensors and triggers work when I'm away from that ship? If so then I need to get it working with the issue where it doesn't see 100% if that was hit in warp. If they don't work when I'm away, then no need to figure out the main question.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer 

Not sure if this has been asked or even possible but it would be nice if Altimeter module could be set to a reference body altitude. I designed a prob to have its parachute deploy, engine decouple, and antenna retract at 75km descent  thinking it would above Kerbin, Much to my surprise as I flew over the mun in sub orbit  with a PE of 58km it triggered at 75km rendering my prob space junk as I watched my only propulsion get ejected into space.:o

Thanks for keeping this awesome mod up to date i appreciate all the work you do for the community.

Edited by Rocket88

1 hour ago, Rocket88 said:

@linuxgurugamer 

Not sure if this has been asked or even possible but it would be nice if Altimeter module could be set to a reference body altitude. I designed a prob to have its parachute deploy, engine decouple, and antenna retract at 75km descent  thinking it would above Kerbin, Much to my surprise as I flew over the mun in sub orbit  with a PE of 58km it triggered at 75km rendering my prob space junk as I watched my only propulsion get ejected into space.:o

Thanks for keeping this awesome mod up to date i appreciate all the work you do for the community.

While I think that is a good suggestion for improvement, in the meantime you can manually disable the module in the VAB part action menu by setting "Active" to False then re-enable it when you're on your final approach to Kerbin.  In fact, you can even tie the "Active" toggle to an Action Group.

I know that it requires manual input when you're what you want is an automatic process but it'll work until LinuxGuruGamer decides on the request.

Edited by Brigadier
Added another idea.

2 hours ago, Rocket88 said:

@linuxgurugamer 

It is doable, the real question is how much intelligence should/can be added to a small part.

I am busy with a couple of bug reports as well as traveling, so it definitely won’t be done immediatly, but I’ll think about it for the future

Thanks for reply's.  Honestly now that I think about it I could easily just  set a timer to activate Altimeter Module after it passes 75km descent or have 1 Altimeter set at 75km descent (Mun) activate another Altimeter set to 75km descent  (Kerbin) that is linked to the action groups. Just a little Pre Planning, That is why I love Smart Parts so much makes you think about craft design. So Body option is really not necessary. I am sure you have other projects way more important.

Thanks again for all your work, a lot of mods would be forgotten with time if you did not keep them going

Edited by Rocket88

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.