Craziest Ways Your Kerbals Survived An Accident

Program Kerbal Space

On 2016-11-02 at 1:33 PM, Program Kerbal Space said:

I want to know what accidents your kerbals somehow survived. Like a kerbal reentering the atmosphere and landing with no rcs and etc. Also #JEBTHEINVINCIBLE

So the following was not an accident but Val survived :cool:

Spoiler

And then Jeb got jealous, so he had to have his turn ... although with something a little bigger :wink:

Spoiler

Last night I was bringing a spaceplane home after a training tour to minmus and solar orbit, along with a flyby and U-turn near mun to burn off excess fuel and get the final dab of XP for 3-stars.

Braking and reentry went great, had a solid line up to midnight at KSC, but there was a minor tendency to roll and yaw left in the upper atmosphere.

I crossed the mountains, and hit the brakes to slow and descend over the foothills, but when I approached mach1, things started to go very wrong.

An uncontrollable roll and pitchup began, and although the craft held together, I entered a flat spin at 10km up.

A quick survey of the craft revealed it was the one that had scraped off its vertical stabilizers on minmus, and pitch/roll were combined because half the wing surfaces were gone as well.

Fuel pumped to the front, going 50m/s sideways, and the whiplashes lacked thrust to power out of the spin.  With 5km left to go, I cut the port engine to try and stop the spin with asymmetric thrust, but that mostly caused the ship to roll instead.  However, with the spin no longer flat, the vertical thruster on the nose was now pointing correctly to stop the spin.

Carefully pulling out of the dive 1.5km over the foothills, it took a minute to locate KSC again, and start lining up with the runway.

Upon touchdown, the plane rolled left, made a hard right, and jumped off the side of the runway at 50m/s, but managed to stay level and come to a stop in the grass without anything exploding.

Taxiing back to the runway, the mission was a complete success.

Just the other day, I was doing an early contract to measure the temperatures over Minimus. Everything went well until I went for my reentry. I managed to have *just* enough fuel to set my periapsis at 40k meters before jettisoning my last stage and preparing for reentry. To my surprise, the capsule went around for another lap and, only then did I realize that the separation had boosted the capsule into a higher orbit that didn't intercept the atmosphere. With little time left to play and unwilling to go on a rescue mission, I waited until apoapsis and jettisoned my heat shield prograde of my trajectory. This dropped me enough for a high altitude aerobrake. It was a tense couple of minutes, but thankfully, I managed to come in at a perfect angle without overheating. A few precise drouge chute deployments and aerobraking maneuvers later, I came in for a perfectly safe splashdown barely three kilomiters from KSC

Edited by dozerman
missing details

A semi-realistic mission a while ago to retrieve the crew of a space station on a re-entry trajectory. Docking took place in high atmo, and the crew pretty much followed the station to the ground before deploying parachutes. Had to be super-accurate with the launch to intercept the station early enough to make a rescue possible.

I pulled up too hard and accidentally ripped the wings (and, consequently, the engines) off an airplane while at ten thousand meters.

Somehow I managed to glide to a hard water landing using only the tail fins and whatever lift a mk1 body tube can provide. The impact destroyed virtually every part of the plane except the mk1 cockpit, and Jeb survived what should have been a fatal crash.

Edited by Darth Pseudonym

On 12/16/2016 at 3:15 PM, theend3r said:

It was possible before with imgur tags. That'd be a serious downgrade.

It was, and it is.  In fairness, I think imgur broke them at the same time they greatly improved the upload/management interface.  I doubt it's too hard to fix their embed code to match, but they haven't done it yet for some reason.

On 11/2/2016 at 3:18 PM, paul23 said:

Kerbin *heads* are sturdier than anything. Well known that you can do a reentry without spacecraft so long as you dive in head-first to the ground.

I fell from reentry once on accident and landed feet first, and by some miracle, my kerbal got spaghettified on landing, softening down the original 40 m/s just enough to survive.

Time: Y0,H0,M1,S10

Scenario: falling to the ground at 175m/s in a newly started career mode

my first mission was on its way to being my biggest failure, Jeb was ^, and my parachute wasn't ready to be deployed, it looked like my first launch was going to be the last one for Jeb, then, at 500 meters above sea level (500-65= however high i was for the real altitude, i don't want to do the math, too tired) the parachute was able to be deployed, i obviously deployed it, why would i not want jeb to live? and it fully deployed at around T-3 seconds to impact, and my speed started to go down, and at T-0.01 seconds to impact, i lowered my speed to 10.5 meters per second, which is fast enough to destroy the mk16 parachute i think, but i crashed into the ground capsule first, and only my parachute broke, i really cant state it in words, it was just awesome...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.