The James Webb Space Telescope and stuff

Streetwind

• 2 weeks later...

So... I just reassured myself that the solar panels on the JWST won't be completely useless (the umbra from the Earth at L2 = not complete shadow).  However, the panels still won't get full, direct sunlight (which is one reason for using L2). 

Any idea why they did not use a Percy-style radioisotope power system? 

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

So... I just reassured myself that the solar panels on the JWST won't be completely useless (the umbra from the Earth at L2 = not complete shadow).  However, the panels still won't get full, direct sunlight (which is one reason for using L2). 

I imagine it's because it's still close enough to earth it wouldn't make sense (we've reached the point where we have solar panels on Jupiter after all) and perhaps at the time it was started they couldn't make it fit in the original budget, after all it costs over 100 millions to produce

Edit: had JWST used one of the RTGs NASA have, the agency would now be out of plutonium and with its two last RTGs assigned to JWST and Dragonfly

Edited by Beccab

13 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

One reason might be because plutonium is hot, and the telescope needs to be very cold to operate well. So the hot plutonium could interfere with the functionality of the telescope and need a lot of extra insulating mass.

7 hours ago, cubinator said:

plutonium is hot

This is one of the disconnects I'm having... Because so is the sun. 

JWST needs power.  Most satellites rely on solar and get lots of sunlight during earth orbit. But JWST is going to solar orbit at L2, which is in at least partial shadow. With the elaborate sun shade protection, I figured it would be in the light - but apparently not. 

Edit:  okay I think I found the answer: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lissajous_orbit

With this, it should get regular sunlight 

• 5 weeks later...