With it delayed so far- why isn’t SLS a suitable option to launch JWST? It was initially intended to be a SLS payload.

37 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

With it delayed so far- why isn’t SLS a suitable option to launch JWST? It was initially intended to be a SLS payload.

With the current schedule there will not be another SLS ready to launch JWST until after 2024 if Artemis stays on schedule.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

With the current schedule there will not be another SLS ready to launch JWST until after 2024 if Artemis stays on schedule.

If JWST stays on it’s bumpy delayed course that would coincide with a ready SLS for it.

Likely been posted 10000 times already but to further my point.

image0.jpg

Edited by ZooNamedGames

8 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

If JWST stays on it’s bumpy delayed course that would coincide with a ready SLS for it.

Likely been posted 10000 times already but to further my point.

image0.jpg

I'd imagine that delays will get less common towards the end of development. A delay to 2026 at this point would mean a 3.5x schedule slip (2 -> 7 years).

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'd imagine that delays will get less common towards the end of development. A delay to 2026 at this point would mean a 3.5x schedule slip (2 -> 7 years).

Never know though. Another rip in testing or damage in shipping or worse- a late flaw discovered after the fact (Hubble’s flaw went so far unnoticed it was actually certified for flight and then launched so this isn’t too far fetched) could all delay it. Of course, as much as I’d like to see it fly SLS- I’m rooting for it to fly period- sooner the better- no matter the launch vehicle.

7 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Of course, as much as I’d like to see it fly SLS- I’m rooting for it to fly period- sooner the better- no matter the launch vehicle.

JWST is flying on Ariane 5. It was never supposed to fly on SLS, part of the ESA participation has been the launch from the start.

Why switch? Ariane 5 is perfectly capable of launching jwst, costs less than SLS, and has an excellent reliability record, something SLS will not be able to prove it has for a while. Plus, it frees up an SLS for a mission that needs it.

If it gets delayed for longer than Ariane 5 will be around, I'd imagine you would have several other capable vehicles to choose from by that point (although probably not too proven). Ariane 6, NG, and Vulcan should be around and flying by 2022-3. I don't think fh has a big enough fairing.

23 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Why switch? Ariane 5 is perfectly capable of launching jwst, costs less than SLS, and has an excellent reliability record, something SLS will not be able to prove it has for a while. Plus, it frees up an SLS for a mission that needs it.

If it gets delayed for longer than Ariane 5 will be around, I'd imagine you would have several other capable vehicles to choose from by that point (although probably not too proven). Ariane 6, NG, and Vulcan should be around and flying by 2022-3. I don't think fh has a big enough fairing.

SLS was never even considered for JWST as far as I know.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:11 AM, tater said:

SLS was never even considered for JWST as far as I know.

Only reason I mentioned it was because I oddly recall that being the case like 4-5 years ago. Maybe I was wrong though. I'm feeling like the Mandela Effect is screwing with me.