The James Webb Space Telescope and stuff

Streetwind

1 hour ago, Shpaget said:

Yep, it seems like humanity's going to get a whole bunch of never seen before pretty pictures, and likely some brand new science points.

Good - because we need those points to open up the next branch of the tech tree! 

JWST program director nominated for a 'Sammie' 

Gregory L. Robinson, program director for the James Webb Space Telescope at NASA Headquarters.

Selected from more than 400 nominations, Robinson has been named a Management Excellence finalist for his achievements in overseeing NASA’s largest and most complex international space science program

From the Blog

6 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

WST program director nominated for a 'Sammie' 

I have issues nominating a director for a management award on a project this over budget and this late, regardless of the upcoming scientific successes.   

4 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I have issues nominating a director for a management award on a project this over budget and this late, regardless of the upcoming scientific successes.   

"Fast, cheap, or good. Pick two one?"

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I'm getting serious @tatervibes... Is this the SLS thread?

:D

14 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

"Fast, cheap, or good. Pick two one?"

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with good, but getting an award for “it didn’t break....yet” isn’t something I’d brag about.  

It was a hugely complex project, and yes the entire team deserves an atta boy for doing it right so far, but a management award?  

TBH, I’d have to reserve judgement on the the management award until (if) some info on the development comes out. If repeated snags (literal and figurative) came up during design and testing, I’d be more inclined to cheer management since  it did work in the end. How many design iterations did they go through, and how many component redesigns and rebuilds required further redesign of other components or structures?  How many component vendors were involved, and did they deliver on time? How many components did not function as planned after being built, etc…

Of course, OTOH mismanagement may have also played a role, but for some reason I find it hard to resist playing devils advocate…

But what do I know, I’m just a factory grunt…

12 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

TBH, I’d have to reserve judgement on the the management award until (if) some info on the development comes out. If repeated snags (literal and figurative) came up during design and testing, I’d be more inclined to cheer management since  it did work in the end. How many design iterations did they go through, and how many component redesigns and rebuilds required further redesign of other components or structures?  How many component vendors were involved, and did they deliver on time? How many components did not function as planned after being built, etc…

Yeah, there's always the old argument that it could have been a lot worse if not for all these great things the director did.

But there's also the counter argument that world-class award-winning management ought to have produced better estimates earlier on. If they had said in 1996 that it would cost $9.7B (rather than $0.5B) and launch in Dec 2021 (rather than 2007), and hit those targets, that unquestionably would have been worthy of some project management awards.

Presumably this "Sammie" committee will consider these sorts of factors and investigate as well as they can.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

If they had said in 1996 that it would cost $9.7B (rather than $0.5B) and launch in Dec 2021 (rather than 2007),

Hmm, I wonder what $9.7B was worth in 1996 dollars. Still a huge overrun, I’m sure, but not 20x more….

That aside, again, politics. If they said in 1996 that it would cost $5B, it would have never been funded. The delays are another matter, and would have fed into the cost ballooning (keeping all those engineers and scientists fed and watered for an extra 14 years, and facilities upkeep). Fabrication challenges? When did fabrication even start?  How long did it take to nail down a final design, with all those mechanisms? Testing, fixing, re-testing?  I have to admit I’m curious as to the exact cause of the delays. A breakdown of the overall costs would be fascinating,….

E: oh wait, I got it: the award is for outstanding management of the pork flow into all the right pockets….

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Now, the blip that Joe linked probably contains a lot more I don’t know about.  

This guy may have joined in the last 4-5 years and finally got the ship righted and forward progress being made.  Then maybe he does deserve an award.    :shrug:   

36 minutes ago, Scotius said:

They still did better job that Hubble builders. At least JWST didn't require prescription glasses to see clearly :cool:

Without Hubble’s major snafu, Webb probably would have encountered something similar.     Let’s thank Hubble for having a major, yet correctable error.  

spitzer_vs_webb_LMC.png

Here, a close-up of the MIRI image is compared to a past image of the same target taken with NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope’s Infrared Array Camera (at 8.0 microns). The retired Spitzer telescope was one of NASA’s Great Observatories and the first to provide high-resolution images of the near- and mid-infrared universe. Webb, with its significantly larger primary mirror and improved detectors, will allow us to see the infrared sky with improved clarity, enabling even more discoveries.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/webb/2022/05/09/miris-sharper-view-hints-at-new-possibilities-for-science/

On 4/30/2022 at 1:47 AM, tater said:

I was scrolling past this quickly and it struck me I'd seen a similar picture 

I'm guessing that orange is the new black? 

s74-23458-b.jpg

7 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

That level of fidelity is amazing! 

Tater's link OP wished to have had a Spitzer image (and now I see why) - but Webb's?

Wowsers 

• 2 weeks later...

The Webb team recently completed the first test to track a moving object. The test verified that Webb could conduct moving target science! As we move forward through commissioning, we will test other objects moving at various speeds to verify we can study objects with Webb that move throughout the solar system.

(From the Blog)

They're planning to image planets, moons and other satellites, asteroids, KBOs and comets within our solar system as well as exoplanets, distant galactic objects and other galaxies.  (I was afraid from something I'd read that they'd not look closer than other stars).

On 5/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The Webb team recently completed the first test to track a moving object. The test verified that Webb could conduct moving target science! As we move forward through commissioning, we will test other objects moving at various speeds to verify we can study objects with Webb that move throughout the solar system.

(From the Blog)

They're planning to image planets, moons and other satellites, asteroids, KBOs and comets within our solar system as well as exoplanets, distant galactic objects and other galaxies.  (I was afraid from something I'd read that they'd not look closer than other stars).

Can’t wait for those closeups of Mercury.