The James Webb Space Telescope and stuff

Streetwind

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Grrrrr. forgot you did this and I got mad that somebody had made another thread... started looking for the "it's done!" thread and was going to yell at people.     I think I'm grumpy. 

My fault, probably... Although I can't think why my posts would be so tribbling.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Grrrrr. forgot you did this and I got mad that somebody had made another thread... started looking for the "it's done!" thread and was going to yell at people.     I think I'm grumpy. 

Oh, go watch some CNC machinery smoothly doing it's thing, whittling away at a block of metal. It's nice and soothing.. *bzzzzzrrtcrunch* erm, nevermind...

Oooh, pretty pictures...

20 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

watch some CNC machinery

My son starts high school this fall.  Excited, I wandered around the campus during a parent's event looking for my favorite part of high school: the shop classes.  Mostly, I wanted to see what toys they had in the wood shop, as that's my forte, but I thought it would be cool to see if they still had 'Auto-Shop' and 'Machine Shop' classes that my friends enjoyed.

Nope.

The school's 'Shop' area had CAD boxes, CNC machines, Additive Manufacturing stations and 'Robot Lab'.

(what, am I old, or something???)

How JWST's first science images will blow us all away - Big Think

This is a pretty decent 'anticipatory' piece.  

Best we can do: the Webb team is not going to let anything slip before the 12th it seems

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope

NASA, in partnership with ESA (European Space Agency) and CSA (Canadian Space Agency), will release the James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and spectroscopic data during a televised broadcast beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT (14:30 UTC) on Tuesday, July 12, from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

Released one by one, these first images from the world’s largest and most powerful space telescope will demonstrate Webb at its full power, ready to begin its mission to unfold the infrared universe.

Each image will simultaneously be made available on social media as well as on the agency’s website on this page.

Embargoed access to Webb’s first images will not be available prior to their public release.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, tater said:

So, in order:
- cluster of galaxies that allows using relativity shenanigans for gravitational lensing
- a hot jupiter (gas giant that for some reason is extremely close to the sun and tidally locked)
- nebula
- cluster of five galaxies
- nebula

The only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

51 minutes ago, Beccab said:

only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

And why not some of the sun like stars? 

https://www.space.com/2072-top-10-list-habitable-stars-guide-search.html

18 Sco? 

37 Geminorium? 

Tau Ceti? 

https://earthsky.org/space/4-exoplanets-tau-ceti-nearest-sunlike-star/

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

5 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I heard the white house will release the images TODAY at 5PM EDT, sadly I have no link to a broadcast :/ 

The White House will release the first image from the JWT, and the rest of the images to follow on July 12th at 10:30am EST. 

On 7/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, Beccab said:

So, in order:
- cluster of galaxies that allows using relativity shenanigans for gravitational lensing
- a hot jupiter (gas giant that for some reason is extremely close to the sun and tidally locked)
- nebula
- cluster of five galaxies
- nebula

The only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

Habitable planet are small and red dwarfs probably has flare issues way more serious than tidal locking you so you want something orange 
And webb is not designed to hunt for exoplanets, it an targeting radar nor an search radar and not optimized for exoplanets. 

14 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Habitable planet are small and red dwarfs probably has flare issues way more serious than tidal locking you so you want something orange 
And webb is not designed to hunt for exoplanets, it an targeting radar nor an search radar and not optimized for exoplanets. 

Not hunt exoplanets. Quoting NASA's website: "One of the main uses of the James Webb Space Telescope will be to study the atmospheres of exoplanets, to search for the building blocks of life elsewhere in the universe."

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

That may not be the case https://www.universetoday.com/152104/good-news-red-dwarfs-blast-their-superflares-out-the-poles-sparing-their-planets-from-destruction/

There's also several observation missions scheduled on JWST searching for atmospheres on red dwarf worlds, including several dedicated to TRAPPIST. And in cycle 1 GO, there's specifically one aimed at determining how common atmospheres are around their planets. "Tell Me How I’m Supposed To Breathe With No Air: Measuring the Prevalence and Diversity of M-Dwarf Planet Atmosphere." So JWST could be poised to show how potentially 'life friendly' red dwarves really are.

I assume the image will show up on the NASA link tonight? I'd rather look at the image myself than listen to White House chatter over it

Edit: looks like yes, it will show up there

Edited by cubinator

6 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

The White House will release the first image from the JWT, and the rest of the images to follow on July 12th at 10:30am EST. 

Why the heck is the Presidential administration the entity that will release the pictures, and not NASA itself?