Jump to content

The James Webb Space Telescope and stuff


Streetwind
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Grrrrr. forgot you did this and I got mad that somebody had made another thread... started looking for the "it's done!" thread and was going to yell at people.     I think I'm grumpy. 

My fault, probably... Although I can't think why my posts would be so tribbling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Grrrrr. forgot you did this and I got mad that somebody had made another thread... started looking for the "it's done!" thread and was going to yell at people.     I think I'm grumpy. 

Oh, go watch some CNC machinery smoothly doing it's thing, whittling away at a block of metal. It's nice and soothing.. *bzzzzzrrtcrunch* erm, nevermind...

 

Oooh, pretty pictures...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

watch some CNC machinery

My son starts high school this fall.  Excited, I wandered around the campus during a parent's event looking for my favorite part of high school: the shop classes.  Mostly, I wanted to see what toys they had in the wood shop, as that's my forte, but I thought it would be cool to see if they still had 'Auto-Shop' and 'Machine Shop' classes that my friends enjoyed.

Nope.

The school's 'Shop' area had CAD boxes, CNC machines, Additive Manufacturing stations and 'Robot Lab'.

 

 

 

 

 

 

(what, am I old, or something???)

 

 

How JWST's first science images will blow us all away - Big Think

This is a pretty decent 'anticipatory' piece.  

Best we can do: the Webb team is not going to let anything slip before the 12th it seems

 

Quote

 

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope

NASA, in partnership with ESA (European Space Agency) and CSA (Canadian Space Agency), will release the James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and spectroscopic data during a televised broadcast beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT (14:30 UTC) on Tuesday, July 12, from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.

 

Released one by one, these first images from the world’s largest and most powerful space telescope will demonstrate Webb at its full power, ready to begin its mission to unfold the infrared universe.

 

Each image will simultaneously be made available on social media as well as on the agency’s website on this page.

Embargoed access to Webb’s first images will not be available prior to their public release.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, tater said:

 

So, in order:
- cluster of galaxies that allows using relativity shenanigans for gravitational lensing
- a hot jupiter (gas giant that for some reason is extremely close to the sun and tidally locked)
- nebula
- cluster of five galaxies
- nebula

The only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Beccab said:

only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

And why not some of the sun like stars? 

https://www.space.com/2072-top-10-list-habitable-stars-guide-search.html

18 Sco? 

37 Geminorium? 

Tau Ceti? 

https://earthsky.org/space/4-exoplanets-tau-ceti-nearest-sunlike-star/

 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I heard the white house will release the images TODAY at 5PM EDT, sadly I have no link to a broadcast :/ 

The White House will release the first image from the JWT, and the rest of the images to follow on July 12th at 10:30am EST. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 5:03 PM, Beccab said:

So, in order:
- cluster of galaxies that allows using relativity shenanigans for gravitational lensing
- a hot jupiter (gas giant that for some reason is extremely close to the sun and tidally locked)
- nebula
- cluster of five galaxies
- nebula

The only thing that disappoints me a bit is WASP-96B, I was hoping they'd look at a potential habitable planet instead of going straight to odd planets

Habitable planet are small and red dwarfs probably has flare issues way more serious than tidal locking you so you want something orange 
And webb is not designed to hunt for exoplanets, it an targeting radar nor an search radar and not optimized for exoplanets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Habitable planet are small and red dwarfs probably has flare issues way more serious than tidal locking you so you want something orange 
And webb is not designed to hunt for exoplanets, it an targeting radar nor an search radar and not optimized for exoplanets. 

Not hunt exoplanets. Quoting NASA's website: "One of the main uses of the James Webb Space Telescope will be to study the atmospheres of exoplanets, to search for the building blocks of life elsewhere in the universe."
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Habitable planet are small and red dwarfs probably has flare issues way more serious than tidal locking you so you want something orange 
And webb is not designed to hunt for exoplanets, it an targeting radar nor an search radar and not optimized for exoplanets. 

That may not be the case https://www.universetoday.com/152104/good-news-red-dwarfs-blast-their-superflares-out-the-poles-sparing-their-planets-from-destruction/

There's also several observation missions scheduled on JWST searching for atmospheres on red dwarf worlds, including several dedicated to TRAPPIST. And in cycle 1 GO, there's specifically one aimed at determining how common atmospheres are around their planets. "Tell Me How I’m Supposed To Breathe With No Air: Measuring the Prevalence and Diversity of M-Dwarf Planet Atmosphere." So JWST could be poised to show how potentially 'life friendly' red dwarves really are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I assume the image will show up on the NASA link tonight? I'd rather look at the image myself than listen to White House chatter over it

Edit: looks like yes, it will show up there

Edited by cubinator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

The White House will release the first image from the JWT, and the rest of the images to follow on July 12th at 10:30am EST. 

Why the heck is the Presidential administration the entity that will release the pictures, and not NASA itself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...