The James Webb Space Telescope and stuff

Streetwind

For the love of god I thought that interpret would never start to move.

Blah blah blah show us the pic already

Show, then speak later! It's not a darn TV show.

Ho, wait...

Nice !

That's a lot of galaxies.

Edited by grawl

9 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

I'm confused, the image is stunning but is it infrared or visible light? NASA  did say in press releases that the image would be "full color".

False colors most likely - shows people what they expect to see. 

Oi - looks like someone leaked (kinda) yesterday 

SMACS 0723

https://www.wral.com/weather/image/20368065/

hlsp_relics_hst_acs-wfc3ir_smacs0723-73_

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

I'm confused, the image is stunning but is it infrared or visible light? NASA  did say in press releases that the image would be "full color".

It's infrared. Colors invisible to humans.

I was hoping they'd just publish the images, along with some comments by astronomers about what we are seeing and how Webb is helping advance the field. 

However, I reread the announcement and they describe it as an "unveiling". 

To my mind, that's an event... And after last night's dog and po-yawn-ny show, I may have it on mute.  Politicians and administrators, yada-yada-blah-blah-blah... Here's one image every half hour. 

The saving grace will be if they get Michelle Thaller to narrate again, as they did for the launch. 

That was top notch. 

AW-SNAP - they're doing it right!

She's narrating and it's good!

First Images From the James Webb Space Telescope | NASA

Okay - actually, it's a bit hackneyed.

They could have used a bit more professional camera and directorial crew, and much better comms to the remote locations.  Blurred web-cam level stuff to India, and 80's level 'are you there? Ted?  Okay, we'll come back to Ted in a bit...' talks to other collaborators in remote locations.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

I love Michelle Thaller's attempts to keep this awesome - but they really need to look at how they produced/directed this.  Full excitement mode, so I can easily forgive it... but this needs a LOT of post-production editing before they publish it on TV for the general public.

Too much technical difficulties, sound problems, overtalk, hot mic-ing, and playing the music too loud over narration.

Still - AWESOME!!!

5 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Carina Nebula:

The image is divided horizontally by an undulating line between a cloudscape forming a nebula along the bottom portion and a comparatively clear upper portion. Speckled across both portions is a starfield, showing innumerable stars of many sizes. The smallest of these are small, distant, and faint points of light. The largest of these appear larger, closer, brighter, and more fully resolved with 8-point diffraction spikes. The upper portion of the image is blueish, and has wispy translucent cloud-like streaks rising from the nebula below. The orangish cloudy formation in the bottom half varies in density and ranges from translucent to opaque. The stars vary in color, the majority of which, have a blue or orange hue. The cloud-like structure of the nebula contains ridges, peaks, and valleys – an appearance very similar to a mountain range. Three long diffraction spikes from the top right edge of the image suggest the presence of a large star just out of view.

I'm in awe of this... Stephan's Quartet - and the BH is amazing... but this?

Wowzers!