KSP won't load - Couldn't switch to requested monitor resolution Error

Windows Version: Windows 10 64 bit

KSP Version:

(32 bit) build id = 01604 2016.11.01 at 18:08:46 CET Branch: master

(64 bit) build id = 01604 2016.11.01 at 19:25:37 CET Branch: master

What Happens: I load KSP via steam in 32 or 64 bit or using the launcher exe. All methods result in the same error. After up to 1 minute of loading; when the progress bar reaches furthest right; the a pop up message states the below before closing the game:

Switching to resolution 1920x1080 failed, trying lower one
All resolution switches have failed
Screen: could not switch resolution (1920x1080 fs=0 hz=60)

Mods / Add-Ons: Stock

Fixes/Workarounds:

Re-installed KSP - no resolution

Updated Windows and Graphics Drivers - no resolution

Altered Settings file to select native laptop resolution of 1920 x 1080 - no resolution

Deleted sub folders of Squad folder in Windows Registry - no resolution

Other Notes/Pictures/Log Files:

N.B: I have two graphics cards in my laptop - the output log references the intel graphics card but the gaming card is the Amd Radeon 7970M

Screenshot of Error

Output log (64 bit)

DxDiag Output

Hi @Kris_B, unfortunately I don't know of a single cause for this issue, so resolving it is a bit hit or miss, but you should be able to right click the KSP_x64.exe and start it with the AMD graphics card.

Make sure your laptop is plugged in and not on a powersaving mode when running KSP, or it will prefer to use the less powerful Intel GPU.

Hope this helps.

@Kris_B can you try a lower resolution or windowed mode please, the default for KSP is 1270x720 windowed, you can get this by deleting the settings.cfg or using the launcher to change the options.

Also the catalyst control center should give you the option to set up an application profile for KSP, allowing you to force KSP to be used with your AMD GPU.

Unfortunately this issue arises because the Unity3D engine is unable to set the requested resolution for the monitor, it's a commonly reported issue both here and on the Unity forums.

Likely it will work fine at 1920x1080 if KSP is using the AMD GPU, but it looks like the Intel does not support it.

It seems that the Catalyst Control Centre has been replaced with a new Radeon AMD Settings application that defaults to using the AMD GPU. For some reason it wasn't doing it for KSP but I did manage to find the setting deep with the radeon profile - radeon preferences / additional settings / switch-able graphics application settings and then adding the exe's to high performance.

The game loaded :-)

Thanks for your help going through this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.