New plane parts

Ok, so I like making replicas in KSP, but i realised the smallest cockpits are way too big to make planes like the F-16, or Eurofighter Typhoon, and are shaped like a cylinder so its impossible to have a cockpit like the MiG-25s, and a fitting nose cone. The tail fins also need some revamping as there are only like 5 to choose from. It's also hard to make planes like the F-18 as there isn't a fuel tank and engine that is of the same size.

So here are my suggestions for parts

Cockpits and fitting nose cones

MiG-25-like cockpit and nose cone: narrow, not circular. Nose cone to fit. Fuel tanks to fit the cockpit too.

19h7d3ltbngz5jpg.jpg

627bc398b8987914e5beb20bdc7b1640.jpg

F-16 like cockpit and nose cone: small cylinder cockpit, good visuals sharp and thin nose cone.

F-16_June_2008.jpg

010205-F-1631A-001.JPG

F-22/F-35-like cockpits and nosecones, with the pointy edge at the side of the nose

The-Business-End.jpg

1%2018%20YF-22%20N22YF%20right%20side%20

Intakes:

F-16 like intake, similar to the radial mount intake we already have, but longer.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chengdu J-10 like intakes, similar to the radial mount intake we already have in ksp, but wider

j-10_59.jpg

F-22 like intake

12918.jpg

Wing Parts

F-16 wing strake, curved

F-16_June_2008.jpg

Tail Fins

Eurofighter Typhoon-like tailfins

Eurofighter%20Typhoon%20F2%20Weathered%2

Fuel Tanks/Engines

F-18 like fuel tanks and engines, medium sized, in between the small fuel tank and juno engine and the mk1 tanks and afterburning turbofan. engine about 40-50kn each

F18-Swiss-underside-1.jpg

F-35 like engine: afterburner about 90kn~ without afterburner and 150kn~ with afterburner

2471.jpg

150716064715-f-35-flies-super-169.jpg

F-22 engines similar to the b9 aerospace engine, about 100-120kn, 170-200kn with afterburner

F22ClimbingHigherWithAfterburner_1.jpg

f22-engine-wallpaper-3.jpgf22-engine-wallpaper-4.jpg

MiG-25 like engine, 70-80kn, 90-120kn with afterburner

09.jpg19h78hjdjoodijpg.jpg

Su-27 like engines, 70-80kn each, 120-130kn with afterburner, relatively long

Su-27-RAF-Typhoon-new.jpg

02.jpg

(will add more soon, too lazy)

New plane parts? Yeah, maybe after every single rocket part is replaced with ones that are not ugly, and then perhaps after we get some decent station/base/lander parts. The last thing we need is more aircraft stuff.

Rocket parts needs love as soon as possible, but if I would want more plane parts...

We could use solid booster with node on the top, at diameter of http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Sepratron_I or a bit larger, so it could be used as "rocket" for jet fighters and booster for really tiny rockets. Same size reaction wheel and probe core in single part would do the job.

Large plane cabin, because not every plane is space shuttle.

Different larger wings shapes and Big-S type wings with modular design like square wing connector.

MK2 battery with 1000 power and reaction wheel 15-20.
MK2 to 2x1.25m flat adapter.
MK2 to 3x0.625m and 4x0.625m adapters.
Same with MK3 size, would be nice to have some flat adapters.

more EDITs:
Less pointy MK1 and MK2 crew cabins would also be nice.
Buoy/floater for planes starting from water (and for boats would be great).
Single futuristic jet engine mounted to MK2 node same with air intake.
MK1 cargo bay like part, but with jet engine inside for small VTOLs and again same for MK2 size (since we have docking ports like that why not have jet engines? :) ).

Edited by Darnok

24 minutes ago, Chris_2 said:

What is up with all these people with their obsession to build (clones of) jet fighters anyway?

There is more plane parts than rocket parts, so making planes is more enjoyable than making rockets...

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Mods and move&rotate tools.

Remember it's still a game about spaceflight, not war planes.

Actually, one of the things that makes this game great is the ability to play it free-style. Personally, i am playing a sandbox game where my brave little green guys are on the oceans of Kerbin, under the oceans of Kerbin, in orbit around Kerbin, and on the Mun. There are no goals but the ones I set for myself and this is why so many enjoy this game.:D

2 hours ago, Atlas2342 said:

I think it's ironic considering the fact that KSP is predominantly about rocketry and spaceflight yet there are more plane parts than rocket parts...

But it can also be about developing aeronautical engineering - the development of space planes and space transportation systems.  Need plane parts to do that. :)

1 hour ago, tater said:

New plane parts? Yeah, maybe after every single rocket part is replaced with ones that are not ugly, and then perhaps after we get some decent station/base/lander parts. The last thing we need is more aircraft stuff.

They've been promising revamped rocket parts since .22. We didn't see any then and I doubt you'll see any in the future. There will be 2 more lines of plushies, a board game, and a phone app before we see any new rocket parts added to the PC game (or console, for that matter).

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

There is more plane parts than rocket parts, so making planes is more enjoyable than making rockets...

Not true. I still love making rockets out of butt-ugly rocket parts, even if there are so few of them. I do not play vanilla anyway, so I have added a few parts that I use most often. It seems when it comes to this game - "the more mods the better...vanilla never!" :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Chris_2 said:

What is up with all these people with their obsession to build (clones of) jet fighters anyway?

For me, it is the thrill of designing something that actually flies - I mean, once you get it off the runway and it screams into the air... now that's awesome! And for the designs that fail, I revert AFTER the explosion! I love a good fireball. :cool:

To anyone complaining about the number of plane parts vs the number of rocket parts: that's because there are no procedural wings. If they've become stock everyone would suddenly realize how few of them there is. Add a fuel switch and the number of plane parts would probably be cut in half.

And I'm not against more plane parts. Neither am I against more rocket parts (especially some cool engines and base parts). It's just that procedural parts would fix many things and end a lot of discussions similar to this one.

When the "pointy" cockpit was being redone I was actually hoping for it to become more like the one X-1 had. Apart from that I'm pretty satisfied with what we have now, but would still like to have a MK2 nose part and an F-35-like VTOL fan thing.

Edited by Veeltch

doesn't this take the whole trick out of stock replicas?

Otherwise, mods are always here for you.

edit: A small, responsive and flattish engine for VTO/L purposes would be nice, Squad or Modders

Edited by Dreambish
christmas wishes

@Dreambish I requested for different engines, cockpits, nose parts, and intakes. Those are (almost) impossible to replicate as they often are of a different size and shape. If the similar parts are there, its still hard as you have to clip the wings to make your desired wing shape, clip the fuel tanks to get a desired length, etc. Maybe at least have more cockpits and engines

On 11/3/2016 at 9:47 PM, Chris_2 said:

I don't know, maybe they find it fun? 

How naive.

As for the OP, those kinds of parts sound like they're for another game, honestly. There are, again, mods that do what you seek.

We need more parts of other classifications first.

On 11/4/2016 at 0:25 AM, Veeltch said:

To anyone complaining about the number of plane parts vs the number of rocket parts: that's because there are no procedural wings. If they've become stock everyone would suddenly realize how few of them there is..

..And I'm not against more plane parts. Neither am I against more rocket parts (especially some cool engines and base parts). It's just that procedural parts would fix many things and end a lot of discussions similar to this one.

This sums it up damn well.

Edited by Columbia

I'm all for this.

I do rockets as well as and I think most of them are quite reasonable with the exception of the fuel tanks. Why do all the fuel tanks have barrel rims? Heck the medium rockomax tanks look like

DR55-1000x1000.jpg

with a whole bunch of rivets added. Doesn't seem very sleek and aerodynamic.

Putting the fuel tanks aside, I don't see what the fuss is. Maybe some more plasma engines would be nice I guess. Eh.

Anyways, back on topic. I'm all for these parts, but I feel like what's more needed than new engines is just a general rework of the engine-intake system. Currently I can put intakes on my nose and power engines on my wingtips. This is almost more ridiculous than the old stock aerodynamics.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

• 2 weeks later...

Compared to rockets we do have enough plane parts i think. And especially for the eager fighter guys .... isn't this is a newtonian physics based space game, originally peaceful ?

There are mods that deliver the bang and boom, cockpits of all sorts, engines in all colours and sizes. Plane parts in more sizes than rocket parts are already in stock game. Planes are overemphasized imo, as a pure rocket player i must use mods for satisfaction.

Just my opinion ...

On 23.11.2016 at 0:42 PM, i like turtles said:

@Kerbal Dynamics considering we have tons of parts resembling real life rockets, we should have tons of parts resembling real life planes too. the only thing we have now are mk2 fuel tanks that somewhat resemble the sr-71 fuselage.

To be honest, I think that there are more plane parts than rocket parts in the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.