Adjustments to adjustment contracts

Recently, I've noticed contracts popping up in Mission Control to put some of my various semi-derelict resource probes, unmanned base/station modules in transit and, annoyingly, my sometimes carefully positioned comm buoys in all sorts of wacky orbits. While all the craft have enough ∆V to reach the proposed orbits and they can be a way to make old craft pay for themselves, many of these contracts are effectively uncompletable since they would require unacceptable levels of screwing around with my buoy network-in short, agencies should not be proposing contracts to switch around the orbits of craft they themselves did not commission-craft which have completed a 'position satellite' contract should have a virtual tag applied to them, and only craft with this tag would be the subject of orbital adjustment contracts.

I agree. I too find it strange that these contracts ask me to change orbits of my own sats. For example I had a failed (kind of) Mun orbiter mission which escaped Mun's SOI, but I figured I will be able to visit Minmus with it, so I just adjusted the orbit to cross Minmus' path eventually and waited for the encounter. Then I saw that a contract asked me to change it to something else that would not encounter it. I mean, I know contracts are random and their objectives have some sort randomly generated objectives, but come on.

I like your suggestion. The "not our" sats should have some sort of tag and the contracts should generate only for them. I would still prefer a proper mission designer, but I'm 95% sure it's not happening.

Don't tell me what to do! You are not my mum!

To clarify, while they are admittedly a minor annoyance at worst, they do add clutter to Mission Control and, if you often do contracts of the same type, they take the places of contracts to move a satellite you are willing to move (the probability increases with more satellites that aren't intended to be moved in orbit, e.g. my ratio of comm buoys to movable probes is <5:1) and declining them reduces the weighting of the 'genuine' move contracts as well.

Unless they are a series of incredible coincidences (the chances of all three move contracts seen so far for one of my sats launched for Jeb's all being from Jeb's is (excluding KWF) ~1/2,000, but is a pattern I have seen elsewhere as well), it appears that move contracts for satellites you launched as part of specific orbit contracts are also submitted by the agency that commissioned the satellite in the first place. If that is indeed the case then the framework for the auto-tagging system should already be in place and simple enough to modify slightly (or else companies just aren't feeling like commandeering each others' satellites).

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

You can say no. Or ignore them. They're not telling you to do anything. They're asking you if you would do it.

What @Sir_Robert and @voicey99 said. We can just ignore them but they do take place of other contracts. Same thing with part testing contracts. I have set my max contracts limit thing to be 40 and I still see the Mission Control asking me for testing the X part. When I decline, the system asks me to test the Y part. When I decline that one the whole thing just goes "Oh, OK. So maybe you want to test the X again? Different altitude and speed this time!"

How hard would it be to implement a proper mission designer for this anyway useless "Mission Control" that doesn't even controls missions? Just set different rewards for each objective and let us do the rest.

I think the system where you can't create custom contracts is intentionally so as it prevents you farming cash from similar or easy missions and forces you to explore new places, make new ship designs and (above all) challenge you follow their hard, interesting and sometimes straight up loony ideas. e.g. you can't just launch a station out of Kerbin orbit, get paid 600K, then go back and immediately do it all over again for another 600K but you might see a contract to land a 20-man station on Eeloo with 6K LF, 6K ore, an ISRU, a lab and three pilots and say "I never would have thought of that and it sounds impossible, but challenge accepted!"

4 hours ago, Veeltch said:

How hard would it be to implement a proper mission designer for this anyway useless "Mission Control" that doesn't even controls missions? Just set different rewards for each objective and let us do the rest.

Apparently very, as neither Squad nor any modders have done so, in spite of it being so obviously terrible as all these posts have made it seem.

Edited by 5thHorseman

48 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Apparently very, as neither Squad nor any modders have done so, in spite of it being so obviously terrible as all these posts have made it seem.

Oh c'mon, how hard can it possibly be? As long as I don't have to do it myself it must be ridiculously easy.

To quote my late father (once again): “nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually, as @Sir_Robert points out, Contract Configurator does exactly this, except it doesn't have an in-game UI.

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Still, cleversat appears to fulfil the request my OP was originally about (even if the GUI is kaputtski). Maybe the talk of customisable contracts should be spun off into a separate post?

We've had a few threads about it already.

Actually, in the new 1.2 debug menu under the contracts section you can order the game to randomly generate a 1/2/3-star contract of any type e.g. if you click 'Trivial' under the 'PartTest' listing it might generate a contract asking you to test the LV-909 at the LaunchPad-does that sort of thing count as 'custom' contracts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.