[1.12.x] Mk1-Cabin-Hatch [v1.0.1]

Skalou

Mk1-Cabin-Hatch

iyzPA1L.png

A6KqTgD.png

This "Mk1-Cabin-Hatch" mod adds a stock-alike hatch to the stock Mk1 crew cabin's roof from witch you can go and come in EVA.
The hatch is now available as a part variant for the stock "Mk1 Crew Cabin" part.
fully compatible with a running career and allow to be uninstalled without braking your crafts (the stock cabin part will just be without the top hatch).

Download from Spacedocklogo4.png

Download from CurseForge (No longer available)b0rSS3C.png
Available on CKANsj507JC.png
ChangeloghEtEvp0.png

GitHub pagele7PIr2.png

It sets "noAutoEVAMulti = False" to allow Kerbals to go in EVA from a ship with more than 1 part !
This part reuses the stock textures to save your RAM, those included are fake of 4×4 pixels.
You have to install the mod "Module Manager" to make this mod works properly (not included, you must download it separately)

BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY:
In previous versions older than v1.0.0 the option was toggle-able in the editor via the part's right-click menu "Add Top Hatch".
There is a compatibility patch file for the transition named "DEPRACTEDcompatibilityPatch.cfg.txt" located in "Kerbal Space Program/GameData/MK1CabinHatch", you have to rename it to "DEPRACTEDcompatibilityPatch.cfg" (remove the .txt extension at the end) to activate it. So you will have both versions of the hatch model and time to migrate your crafts and finish your running missions. Once none of your crafts have the old model you can rename the compatibility file back with the .txt extension.

KSP compatibility versions:

Mk1-Cabin-Hatch version KSP version
1.0.1 min: 1.4.0 ; max: check here or the forum thread
1.0.0 min: 1.0.5  max: 1.10.1
0.2.0 min: 1.0.5  max: 1.9.1
0.1.0 min: 1.0.5  max: 1.9.1

This mod is really simple, it uses only stock features with a module manager patch,
and should work with many future KSP versions, check the dependency mods update too.
Check this forum thread end to know or report a  new KSP version compatibility.

Dependency mods:
- Module Manager  (not included)

Suggests:
- KSP-AVC add-on version checker

Installation:
- On update, remove any existing older version.
- Be sure to have Module Manager installed (not included in this download).
- Copy/paste the folder "MK1CabinHatch" in your "Kerbal Space Program/GameData" directory.
- Enjoy!

It uses the "KSP Add-on Version Checker" mod if you have it installed (not included in this download) to check its version by using a connection on my GitHub page, read the "KSP-AVC Add-on Version Checker" page for more details.

License

Edited by Skalou

3 minutes ago, EatVacuum said:

Sweet, I have to ask "what the <<expletive deleted>> were they thinking not putting a hatch on in the first place?". This is so needed!!! Thank you.

In essence, it's a passenger cabin. So you were never meant to leave it as if it was a capsule. Though, with the sandbox nature of the game, this was very needed.

4 hours ago, Noname115 said:

In essence, it's a passenger cabin. So you were never meant to leave it as if it was a capsule. Though, with the sandbox nature of the game, this was very needed.

So does that mean passenger trains or passenger cars shouldn't have doors? Passenger pidgeons don't have doors, it is true.

but more seriously the other passenger cabin does, why shouldn't this one have had a hatch as well? And it's been a pain in the @$$ having to debark a pilot then transfer the scientist to the cockpit and then debark him just to restore your goo cannisters and matls bays in each biome when you go hunting science in a plane or for that matter a rocket until you have access to size 2 parts. I don't mind imposing limits for realism, but to just make a part inconvenient for no good reason is just poor design.

But I agree, this mod is really needed.

17 hours ago, EatVacuum said:

[...]it's been a pain in the @$$ having to debark a pilot then transfer the scientist to the cockpit and then debark him just to restore your goo cannisters and matls bays in each biome [...]

Ahah, exacltly why i decided to do this mod! :) No more (boring) seat swapping dance..

I would like to restrict it a bit in career, maybe with the new part updrade system but it seems to be broken actually ( no one made it works), however i know you won't use it to cheat right?

Spoiler

3FkrUlj.png

Edited by Skalou

20 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Not many mods should truly be made a part of the stock game.   But I think anyone that has put in some hours would say this one should be. 

That is based on the assumption that the Mk I has no hatch on the "outside" is an oversight, not a deliberate decision as has been stated in the past.

On 11/4/2016 at 1:03 AM, Noname115 said:

In every autobus I've travelled with, there was this thing on the roof.

29-1385717252-volvo-emergency-exit-roof.

It's silly that this KSP part lacks a sideways hatch.

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

That is based on the assumption that the Mk I has no hatch on the "outside" is an oversight, not a deliberate decision as has been stated in the past.

I think that not having one is totally deliberate, i can also think that its a really bad design choice at the same time.  The only thing that not having one gets you is a hassle of shuffling crew around through a pod that does have a door.  How is that supposed to be meaningful gameplay?

Edited by eberkain

5 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I think that not having one is totally deliberate, i can also that its a really bad design choice at the same time.  The only thing that not having one gets you is a hassle of shuffling crew around through a pod that does have a door.  How is that supposed to be meaningful gameplay?

Because having a hatch would make it easy to use a hexcore pod (or any of the other models) and add a tank and engine and get an ultra-cheap, 2 kerbal space craft. Something for which the aircraft cabin was deliberately not intended. In the current state of the stock game you still get to use the cabin, but there's a price you have to pay for it. To me that feels like a fair balance.

5 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

In every autobus I've travelled with, there was this thing on the roof.

It's silly that this KSP part lacks a sideways hatch.

Pray tell me, what airliner has a "thing" like that on the roof? And if you say "but they have emergency exits," tell me the model that has an emergency exit every other seat?

Edited by Kerbart
seat, dammit. seat

Pray tell me, what airliner has only two seats?

What you're fundamentally arguing is that the KSP part should have more than two seats, so that the one hatch which really should be on the part would appear less frequently than "every other seat".

And, for what it's worth, the Lockheed Electra airliner had a similar looking escape hatch in the roof.

If you don't like the mod, don't use it.

Edited by RoboRay

16 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

If you don't like the mod, don't use it.

The discussion at this point is if it should be stock or not. For reasons outlined, I don't think it should be stock.

And you're absolutely right. I'm not using it.

18 minutes ago, RoboRay said:

What you're fundamentally arguing is that the KSP part should have more than two seats, so that the one hatch which really should be on the part would appear less frequently than "every other seat".

Yes, I think a 16 seat part, with the mass that goes with it (so it won't be abused as a cheap capsule) is absolutely fine. I wouldn't mind a part like that, even with a hatch on the outside. Perhaps we could lobby for that. As it would have 2*2*2 (or 23) times as many seats as the Mk-I cabin, I would recommend calling it a "Mk-III cabin."

3 hours ago, Kerbart said:

(so it won't be abused as a cheap capsule)

Mk1 capsule costs 600 funds.

Mk 1 crew cabin plus a probe core costs 850 funds and 135 science points just to unlock them.  The expenditure to reach this combination justifies it having a second seat considering the disadvantage of relying on a second part for flight controls.  And by the time you get to it, a couple of hundred funds difference is meaningless.  It's not a game-balance issue.

Edited by RoboRay

19 hours ago, Skalou said:

The Mk2 already has a working hatch on the top, what do you would like exactly?

I mean this:

Ph5e5Py.png

So Mk2 crew tank is opposite to Mk1 crew tank - working top (side), but no working back (stack) hatches...

On 05/11/2016 at 2:12 PM, Kerbart said:

The discussion at this point is if it should be stock or not. For reasons outlined, I don't think it should be stock.

the question for me is, is it fun to have this limitation? answer for me: no, beacause seat swapping is just boring, an other way to solve this could be to allow EVA by sending them on the nearest airlock in an other part, but i don't code, so i choose this way :wink:

and there are a lot of other way to cheat in KSP

what about this kind of design?

muNcq6E.png

you can't transfer fuel trought the heatshield but you can transfert kerbal throught it and fueltank, i don't see why exept for balance(good reason for a game), especially with a so big shroud that could give a pupose, exemple:

dragon-v2__1.jpg

the thing on the side, propbably for electrical stuff ( of course youcan"t had a fuel line has it in stock...could have been too easy :rolleyes:)

elon-musk-spacex-dragon-v2-legs.jpg

hole in the shield for the leg ( could be a fuel line too)

pbfdOyh.png

You want to use it for your base like this? no, you can't, because in stock you can't exist via the airlock if the craft has more than 1 part ( only for rescue mission i suppose), it means too if you crash partially your own ship you can't rescue your kerbals inside if 1 part or more is attached to the crew cabin .

20 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

I mean this:

Ph5e5Py.png

So Mk2 crew tank is opposite to Mk1 crew tank - working top (side), but no working back (stack) hatches...

Yes, why not, good suggest! :wink: the harder will be to find a name for this mod

Edited by Skalou

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.