Base Building Expanded

So it's pretty clear to any veteran player that Squad has always ecouraged us to create bases on moons and planets, but thus far we've alwys had to get creative with using rocket, lander and station parts to create our bases. There are very few parts if any that are overtly designed for base building. With Squad once again adding major gameplay changes to the game (name comnet), I'm wondering if they might make an update at some point geared specifically towards base building, or perhaps incorporate an existing mod into the game as they've done before. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

So it's pretty clear to any veteran player that Squad has always ecouraged us to create bases on moons and planets,

I feel like planes are pushed harder than anything else currently, but anyway...

You can't have everything perfectly set to suit everyone. People like planes and want more plane things. People like realism and want more realism. People want challenge and want more challenge. People want to build bases and want more ways to build bases. I could go on and on but I hope you got my point: KSP is great because it's a game that spans a lot of domains, but that's also its greatest weakness since it's not able to go in depth in every domains with a finite amount of work/time.

Mods are great because they don't have to do a thousand things at the same time. You choose the mods that suit your needs and forget about the other things you don't care about.

This is why, to me, your suggestion (and to a certain extent a lot of other suggestions) belong to mods. The game should focus on giving you sturdy fundations, and you decide to stick whatever bricks on top of it.

Other than that, why not? Adding stuff to the game is always positive. Except plane parts, we've had enough of these; now please add stuff that is related to going to space (the thing that's in the name of the game), or change the name to Kerbal Atmosphere Program.

(I feel like I'm quite off-topic but meh, I like to rant)

Edited by Gaarst

The major problem with base building is the game lacks KIS/KAS-like connection elements. I could actually get around using hitchhikers, moving them with rovers and stuff like that, but connecting them in stock is a whole different story. It's really hard to do it with docking ports only. You either need to come up with all sorts of contraptions, use the buggy Klaw, or download a mod that makes it all easier.

tl;dr: KAS needs to become stock first.

12 hours ago, Veeltch said:

The major problem with base building is the game lacks KIS/KAS-like connection elements. I could actually get around using hitchhikers, moving them with rovers and stuff like that, but connecting them in stock is a whole different story. It's really hard to do it with docking ports only. You either need to come up with all sorts of contraptions, use the buggy Klaw, or download a mod that makes it all easier.

I'm saying that if KAS/KIS is added to vanilla, there's no need for base parts.

It would be nice to have expandable modules, designed for the surface, that need to be outfitted with a resource.

This resource could be brought from Kerbin or mined In situ.

It would also be nice if there was a way to build base parts, (attached to the ground) through ISRU.

Would it be possible to provide an extensible docking tunnel part?

When placed near a docking port (or another docking tunnel) on another vessel you right-click the part, choose 'connect to port' and then click on the nearby docking port. This turns the docking tunnel part into exactly that - a tunnel connecting to the two vessels and docking them together. You'd only be able to do this if the angle and distance to the remote part were within certain parameters. Maybe about 20 degrees and 2 metres.

Simon Hibbs

23 hours ago, simonh said:

When placed near a docking port (or another docking tunnel) on another vessel you right-click the part, choose 'connect to port' and then click on the nearby docking port. This turns the docking tunnel part into exactly that - a tunnel connecting to the two vessels and docking them together. You'd only be able to do this if the angle and distance to the remote part were within certain parameters. Maybe about 20 degrees and 2 metres.

Simon Hibbs

Yep. I've been wanting something like this for a while now. The docking ports could be given the ability to connect to each other via these tunnels. Just like the refuelling hose thing in KAS.

On 14.11.2016 at 2:36 AM, simonh said:

Simon Hibbs

If this is added (but with more like a 10m range limit), KAS/KIS isn't even necessary.

On 11/6/2016 at 4:55 PM, Veeltch said:

Try Konstruction mod  by roverdude , it saves time

Edited by Space_taco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.