Kracken attack on Minmus (KSP 1.2.1)

LunchIn10Seconds

Hi,

So I built my first rover....

NApldJG.jpg

Its rather wide so I had to transport it to Minmus slung under the lander. I tested everything, well almost everything on Kerbin. Dropping the lander and driving it away using the built in probe body worked fine so I launched and landed on a slope just short of one of Minmus' flats.

I dropped the lander, but when I tried to drive it the Kraken struck and everything exploded into bits of exploding rover, lander and terrified Kerbal.

I tried to move the rover repeatedly but every time - Boom.

The only way I could get around this was to use the landers RCS and hop it away from the rover. I could then drive the rover fine.

The other issue I have with this rover is that Kerbals get fired vertically out of their seats several metres every time they try to get out of the seat. I have not played KSP for some time, but don’t remember that happening in previous versions any ideas?

On the plus side I was able to visit Minmus’ Lesser flats, Slopes, Lowlands, Midlands and Poles all in a few hours of driving which gave well over 1000 science points :kiss:

Has anyone else had these problems?

Edited by LunchIn10Seconds
Spellink... sigh

I have your craft file.

First, I don't see the need for 3 HECS... 1 on the rover, yes... the other 2 on the engine stacks, no. I'd get rid of them unless you've got some other motive not clear to me; The lander is controlled by the Kerbals inside the Mk2 lander can. Also, you don't need the BZ-52 radial attachments on the engine stacks, the girders can attach directly, save yourself some weight.

Second, the TR-2V decoupler holding the rover; I would reduce the ejection force (I changed the force percent to "1"), and just let the rover drop via gravity. Also, for some reason an invisible collision is occurring between the rear rover solar panels and the lander engines when you attempt to drive the rover forward ... that could be why it was blowing up on you on Minmus. Back the rover up (reverse) from beneath the lander instead of trying to drive it forward.

Don't forget to take the rover's HECS out of hibernation; You fooled me with that one. :lol:

Here's your craft with the BZ-52 radials removed, as well as the TT-70 decouplers. I put girders on directly, which also moved the engine stacks out a little further so now you can drive the rover out forward without any exploding results.

B6TfP0Y.png

Hope this helps you a little. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.