[1.12.x] Kerbal Object Inspector Continued- View all game objects in KSP!

linuxgurugamer

The trigger of the problem is, explicitly (emphasis is mine):

5. License Grant to Other Users

[snip]

If you set your pages and repositories to be viewed publicly, you grant each User of GitHub a nonexclusive, worldwide license to use, display, and perform Your Content through the GitHub Service and to reproduce Your Content solely on GitHub as permitted through GitHub's functionality (for example, through forking).

source: https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#d-user-generated-content

Well.. Committing and making Releases are GitHub's functionalities, and they are enabled on my forks. So this paragraph technically allows me to commit and make releases on these forks.

This is a serious loophole on the GitHub TOS.

— edit — 

I'm not alone on this understanding.

Edited by Lisias
links

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Well.. Committing and making Releases are GitHub's functionalities, and they are enabled on my forks. So this paragraph technically allows me to commit and make releases on these forks

I don't see the word "modify" in what they say.  I see:  

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

use, display, and perform

I'll agree it could be clearer, but then this is why we have lawyers.

• Using does not imply modifying.
  • Displaying does not imply modifying
  • Performing does not imply modifying

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't see the word "modify" in what they say.  I see:  

[snip] I'll agree it could be clearer, but then this is why we have lawyers.

• Using does not imply modifying.
  • Displaying does not imply modifying
  • Performing does not imply modifying

It's all about semantics. GitHub is a tool for modifying code. So, 'use' implies on it. Forking is a tool to allow modifying code, so "use" implies on it.

The very definition of 'fork' on GitHub says:

A fork is a copy of a repository. Forking a repository allows you to freely experiment with changes without affecting the original project.

And since the TOS, as a Contract, doesn't specifically define what should be understood as Forking, we should stand to the Tool's definition of forking - mainly, because on the very same TOS is written "as permitted through GitHub's functionality (for example, through forking)".

So, I agree with the guy of one of the links I posted:

Currently the situation is open to a tribunal court do determine what rights the GitHub Fork button actually gives. As currently it is, it only implies the right to use the Fork button feature present on the site. Hence, a public GitHub repository complying with Berne Convention only, is very dangerous for GitHub users which fork it, and push commits/pull requests to their fork. As they are in great danger/liability of the prosecuted by the original repository owner, if they perform commits and pull requests due Berne Convention applied.

source: https://github.com/github/site-policy/issues/37

I'm not advocating "my" understanding of the TOS. I would be satisfied if the GitHub had blocked any commits of mine on the forks I did - it is an acceptable solution to the dilema, as it would satisfy the TOS requirement of "permitted through GitHub's functionality".

However, since I do not plan to be bothered with a tribunal court, I think the best approach would be just to not use GitHub at all when possible.

Branches (including master) can be rebased and "forced pull", so a License that was once there can "vanish" and then I would be high and dry - original works can be relicensed. And what would happen to my fork done on the times the license allowed it?

Technically, it's a 'legal uncertainty'. As I said, a Contract is Law between the parts, and so it should clearly define what's allowed and what's not under the premisse "everything is allowed except what's explicitly forbidden".

BitBucket made this plain simple: I must explicitly authorize the right to fork a project if it is not public, and if it's public, everyone can fork it and that's it. They simply don't try to give their users any rights on it, they just state what will happen if you make your project public - and it's up to you to prevent unauthorized use of your data. What's stated on the Copyright Act, anyway.

7LjDMFu0oQX5793Ev7-d46SyIwMGc6KCGr_w_i91

Edited by Lisias
grammars. #sigh

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well that's a nice update. It sort of heads toward something I've been desiring for a while. I don't know if it is possible or not but what I'm after is a way of finding out more information about meshes when drilling through parts. Mainly, it would be nice to be able to read the texture filename applied to the mesh, with a path if possible. Most of the time I've been able to figure things out just by looking and with stock parts, it's not that complicated but some mods distribute files over various folders and depending on the thought process of the author of those parts, sometimes I can follow their logic, sometimes not.

I realise, if I expanded my toolset I could probably find these things out, I'm just dreaming about seeing it all in one place. That place being in the game where I'm mostly grabbing the information from.

Edit: Oh, I also realise it might well be possible to do this already and I just haven't found it. If that's the case, let me know.

Edited by Manwith Noname

• 1 year later...

I hope this is useful...

The wireframe rendering isn't functioning. When flicking through an object, first I get...

[ERR 22:19:32.140] minVolume is not supported anymore. Use min-, maxDistance and rolloffMode instead.

[ERR 22:19:32.141] maxVolume is not supported anymore. Use min-, maxDistance and rolloffMode instead.

[ERR 22:19:32.141] rolloffFactor is not supported anymore. Use min-, maxDistance and rolloffMode instead.

...for thousands of lines, then when it gets to the transform I imagine it tries to render the wireframe for, I get...

[EXC 22:19:51.591] ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: shader
	UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	KerbalObjectInspector.WireFrame.get_lineMaterial () (at <8977e93cf35e465da3299b06dacf8de8>:0)
	KerbalObjectInspector.WireFrame.Start () (at <8977e93cf35e465da3299b06dacf8de8>:0)
[LOG 22:19:51.596] filter

..which repeats over 40000 lines.

• 3 weeks later...

I just added this to a minimum install to check a part.

No button. And no Toolbar, for some weird reason.

List of mods:

GameData\000_ClickThroughBlocker\
GameData\000_Toolbar\
GameData\001_ToolbarControl\
GameData\Coatl Aerospace\
GameData\CommunityResourcePack\
GameData\DMagicScienceAnimate\
GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\
GameData\KerbalObjectInspector\
GameData\PatchManager\
GameData\Squad\
GameData\SquadExpansion\
GameData\ModuleManager.4.1.2.dll
GameData\toolbar-settings.dat

No single instance of the word "exception" in the log.

Log and stuff:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hupn3psx1forqk/player.log and stuff 2019-11-26-01.zip?dl=1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.