Help! I've just lost all my ships in the VAB! [Solved]

Dear all,

I have been playing career in 1.2 for a while. I just went to load a ship and found there were none in the VAB list!

jziJAyR.jpg

There should be somethnig like 30ships listed there.

The ships are in the saved games folder, so what has happend, and how do I get them back?

Help! :(

The Space plane hanger and subassemblies are not affected just the VAB

Restarting the game has not fixed it.

Edited by LunchIn10Seconds

I've not seen that before, but first thing I'd do is take a copy of all your craft out of your save game folder and stash them somewhere, just in case.
It doesn't look like you've got any mods, so this is unusual. I'd suggest trying to create a fresh save (in sandbox mode) and then copying your craft into that save and seeing if they appear as expected.
Also have the debug console open while you try to view the craft in your current save and see if there are any errors.

Weelll I don't know. I did a quick Internet read on what causes a sharing violation - apparently something else is accessing the file and has it locked. But nothing else was running other than the virus checker and that was not scanning at the time.

So I followed the tried and tested - if it stops working turn it off and on again - and that appears to have fixed it.

Thanks for the help.

31 minutes ago, LunchIn10Seconds said:

Trouble is I have no idea wat it means or how to fix it!

Anyone seen his before?

14 minutes ago, LunchIn10Seconds said:

So I followed the tried and tested - if it stops working turn it off and on again - and that appears to have fixed it.

Glad you got it sorted. I've not seen or heard of that issue before. 
I tend to avoid putting things like KSP (that need to save user data) into program files folders because there are "protected" folders. Might be something to do with that (although i'm sure others have KSP installed there without issue).
I'd suggest setting up a steam library somewhere outside of the program files folders, steam itself can remain in program files, but then it will put games into the library. Might be more stable.

This happens in both the VAB and SPH when too many craft have missing or invalid parts - and this is unique to 1.2 and later versions. If you have the capability, keep the version of KSP the craft were built with and open the craft in there... then go to your 1.2 editor and see which parts those are that are missing, then delete them off the craft in the older version.

This is what I had to do, it took me a week to convert all my craft over. I've not had the problem since. Yes, even some of the stock parts were somehow renamed, revamped, or what-have-you and it did make craft miss parts.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.