[1.8.x- 1.12.x] LLL Continued Dev Thread - New BETA Release

linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
First of all, thank you for your work. :)

My experiences:
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to navigate between the different versions, one of the textures is slipped in the last update. I think it should be filmed in the right direction. 

aNSbwTQ.png

The contents of the LLL_MrWizerd_7_15_2014 folder are not visible after merging the LLL. Too bad because the 3x1 and 4x1 converters in the Adapters would be useful.
Only after copying the contents of LLL_MrWizerd_7_15_2014 are the parts visible, after merging they are no longer in place. I experimented with them for a while, but there was no change.
I'll deal with it later. 
:kiss: 

Edited by AG-cs

On 8/28/2020 at 4:26 AM, hypodronic said:

And come to think of it, I haven't packaged the LLL-Extra group yet. So that should be coming soon.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:39 AM, hypodronic said:

Ahh, thanks for spotting the texture prob on that part.I think the MrWizerd zip is a bit of a historical holdover, most of the exotic adapters are in the LLL-Extra package now.

Okay thanks for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

It feels like a lifetime since the last post, but I guess that's just the pandemic timewarp effect. I've done some stuff under the hood to simplify the layout of the mod by moving the models and textures in to the part cfg heirarchy. This was a little weird and complex because several meshes and textures get re-used in creative ways, I assume to manage file size and loading/memory burden. This will hopefully make no noticable difference to players, but will make managing the thing easier. I also renamed the parts under the hood to all have a LLL prefix, to make them easier to find or refer to. LGG added a restockwhitelist, which is very helpful for ensuring compatibility with Restock. I'm currently working on a MM patch to only add the Kethane and Karbonite tank types to tanks when those mods are present, which I suppose I may have to install a testing instance of 1.9 to test. I suppose I may also expand the IFS functionality to more/all tanks. There's some KAS modules that I plan to pull out to a MM patch as well, just to remove the errors from the log as much as anything.

This leads me to a few decisions or ideas that I want to suggest to anyone interested.

1. The LLL-Extra folder contains some TACLS parts, which I think make sense to include in the base folder, but only enable via MM patch, so they will only be visible when that mod is present. The parts use existing models & textures that are in the main LLL folder, so there wouldn't be any added memory or significant loading time.

2. LLL-Extra also includes a huge array of adaptors for those exotic tank profiles, in most cases 4 for each tank size - short/long, offset/straight. Rather than all of those seperate parts, I could switch those to also use IFS mesh variants, so the same functionality & selection would be there, but with a less crowded part list.

3. I originally suggested to LGG that, because Tweakscale is a dependency of IFS, and some parts included are just upscaled versions of 1x1 or 2x1 parts, those should be removed. If you want a 4x2 tank, you can get it by pressing a button, so why would you want a seperate part for that? Now that I look closer at the parts, I see that they are in some cases not exactly the same as they would be - for instance, the 4x4 fuel tank is not scaled by 4,4,4, it's scaled by 4,2,4, so half of the relative length. I've just noticed this, but my thinking now is to bring them back.

4. Do people need/want the building parts? They're currently just structural blocks that look like they could be KAS-attached. One of the two blocks can house kerbals. Should I update them to do something else, or are they even necessary? Some of the other parts seem stylistically to make more sense stuck to a building than a rover or rocket - the fan extractor and the windmill for instance.

So there we are. Thoughts or ideas on any of these, or any strong feelings?

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Brainpop14 said:

Anyone tested this in 1.8.1 yet?

It will work, but there are some significant problems with the colliders, which is why I never continued beyond where it is. @hypodronic was working on it, but haven't heard from him since September

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Ahoy folks. Sorry for the long silence.

I've used modulemanager patches to add Karbonite to tank options only when it's installed, and standardized most of the tanks to use the B9PartSwitch to switch all the same resources. I've tried to do the same trick for Kethane, but that mod doesn't seem to be up to date for 1.10. I haven't touched the Connected Living Space patch, I'm hoping that still works. I was able to remove some stuff from cfgs for mods that no longer require anything (KIS/KAS for instance) as well.

There's still a few errors in the log: one to do with the fairing decoupler, and one the air intake. I don't know exactly what's going on there, but there don't seem to be any gameplay problems.

There were problems with a bunch of the docking connectors to do with the docking transforms pointing the wrong way. These are fixed except for the the shielded 2x1 end cap, which is as-is for the moment. It's a mismatched size relative to the others, too.

Also, fixes to a bunch of nodes, my first texture for the 1x1 probe nosecone, an icon, a few texture fixes, and a bunch of other random bugs and problems.

https://github.com/hypodronic/LLL-Continued

On 11/6/2020 at 4:18 AM, hypodronic said:

I haven't touched the Connected Living Space patch, I'm hoping that still works.

The CLS-config is and was a hot mess. There is a line with @PART[] causing a warning and beeing treated as @PART[*] adding CLS to all Parts in the game. Also the renaming of Parts broke a lot of configs. Since I play with CLS and LLL at the moment, I am trying to fix the and sort CLS-Configs (There are Parts in the LLLExtra CLS-Config that are added by LLL and vice versa, also sorting by category to make maintainance easier) and could submit them as a Pull-Request once im done. (Note: I don't have any real modding experience but i have done a fair bit of tinkering with configs, mostly tweaks and fixes for personal use including CLS)

I will probably also make a more restrictive version more in line with the CLS-configs for the stock parts since in the original config almost all parts are completly passable even if this doesn't make sence i.E. parts with interiors that allow passable surface attachments

On 11/6/2020 at 4:18 AM, hypodronic said:

and standardized most of the tanks to use the B9PartSwitch to switch all the same resources

Im only seeing configs for IFS or am I missing something?

Anyway great to see this mod live on

1 hour ago, Crossman said:

The CLS-config is and was a hot mess. There is a line with @PART[] causing a warning and beeing treated as @PART[*] adding CLS to all Parts in the game. Also the renaming of Parts broke a lot of configs. Since I play with CLS and LLL at the moment, I am trying to fix the and sort CLS-Configs (There are Parts in the LLLExtra CLS-Config that are added by LLL and vice versa, also sorting by category to make maintainance easier) and could submit them as a Pull-Request once im done. (Note: I don't have any real modding experience but i have done a fair bit of tinkering with configs, mostly tweaks and fixes for personal use including CLS)

I will probably also make a more restrictive version more in line with the CLS-configs for the stock parts since in the original config almost all parts are completly passable even if this doesn't make sence i.E. parts with interiors that allow passable surface attachments

Im only seeing configs for IFS or am I missing something?

Anyway great to see this mod live on

Start with the current file:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/LLL-Continued/releases/tag/1.3.0.1 this has @hypodronic's changes

• 9 months later...

Ok woah. I have a budget far below six million dollars. I have bought a Blender plugin, and one day may buy another, but no promises.

Really though, if people want to take a look and tell me what's still broken, please take a look: https://github.com/hypodronic/LLL-Continued

I know some of the docking ports still don't work, and most of the flags have the incorrect material. But if there's anything else, let me know!

Also, I intend to consolidate all of the various adaptors in to part variants instead of separate parts. If anyone knows an easy way to do that or wants to write the cfg stuff, I can plug the numbers in.

1 hour ago, hypodronic said:

Also, I intend to consolidate all of the various adaptors in to part variants instead of separate parts. If anyone knows an easy way to do that or wants to write the cfg stuff, I can plug the numbers in.

Look at Squad's grip pads in Blender and then it's config and I think that would show you what needs doing. Also why have you "bought" when it is free?

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@hypodronic @ColdJ

We can do this one of two ways.  You can do a full adoption of the mod, in which case I don't have anything to do with it.  Or, if you want, I can curate the changes and manage the releases.  

Up to you

LGG

I was just happy to lend a hand. If @hypodronic has been putting in the hard work for what looks like at least a year then it is their choice what they want to do with it. I will be happy with what they choose and if I finalise and release of  my Space 1999 update in the next 2 days I might actually get back to doing the things I was enjoying when I joined the forum. I have never done Career but the work that @Caerfinon has been putting in to marine missions sounds fun.

On 8/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, ColdJ said:

Look at Squad's grip pads in Blender and then it's config and I think that would show you what needs doing. Also why have you "bought" when it is free?

Blender is free, but there are a million addons, many of which cost money (but mostly not much). I got a UV plugin because the default stuff seems clumsy and limited.

22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

We can do this one of two ways.  You can do a full adoption of the mod, in which case I don't have anything to do with it.  Or, if you want, I can curate the changes and manage the releases. 

I would like to alleviate your extensive mod support burden, but I'm not really confident that I even know everything that's involved in releasing mods. I'd prefer if you'd keep it, at least for now, if you don't mind.

3 hours ago, hypodronic said:

I would like to alleviate your extensive mod support burden, but I'm not really confident that I even know everything that's involved in releasing mods. I'd prefer if you'd keep it, at least for now, if you don't mind.

This isn't a problem, as long as you provide updates, I'll manage the releases

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 1:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

It will work, but there are some significant problems with the colliders, which is why I never continued beyond where it is. @hypodronic was working on it, but haven't heard from him since September

What about for 1.12.2?

Also, if possible some RealPlume or Waterfall support would be nice

I've knocked off all of the major problems, which I'm defining as something not actually working or throwing errors etc. There's still a few usability and modernization things, one of which is that most of the current exhaust plumes look really bad in stock. I'm fixing that, and a host of other serious aesthetic problems like squashed UVs and missing glow animations, and maybe updating for some more modern KSP before calling it done. Fancy exhaust configs (and learning how to configure for yet another mod) are not currently on the list.

It's a part mod, so as long as the dependencies are okay, nothing much has changed for a while. I'm currently testing on 1.12.2, so when it comes out it should be fine.

7 hours ago, hypodronic said:

missing glow animations,

If by glow you mean lights, I have found that what used to work with  ModuleLight , now requires ModuleAnimateGeneric instead.

Example.

This is the old config that no longer works.

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleLight
        lightName = Spotlight
        useAnimationDim = true
        lightBrightenSpeed = 2.5
        lightDimSpeed = 2.5
        resourceAmount = 0.01
        animationName = lights
        useResources = true
    }

Replace it with this that does. Knowing the right animation name for that particular model mesh is the important bit, "Layer = " doesn't actually seem to matter.
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
        animationName = lights
        layer = 9
        startEventGUIName = Head Lights ON
        endEventGUIName = Head Lights OFF
        actionGUIName = Toggle Head Lights
        defaultActionGroup = Light
    }

Interesting, I haven't got any parts that cast lights so it isn't that problem for me (yet?). It was some of the engines not appearing to glow when at high throttle. Turns out I was mostly mistaken because of how I was testing them. The sounds and particle effects need work though.

I'll keep an eye out for that ModuleLight thing though if it ever comes up, I wonder what's going on. It looks like layers has to do with multiple animations on the same part:

12 hours ago, hypodronic said:

t looks like layers has to do with multiple animations on the same part:

Yep, though it rarely comes up and if you are only referencing one animation it doesn't seem to matter. I just put layer 9 because the first time I came upon a part using it that was what it had and helps me remember, but tried it with others. Have also had more than 1 animate generic in a config, 1 to make a part change shape and another to operate the lights, and they seemed to both work within the same config. I have used Animate generic to fix up alot of older mods in my game that had stopped working because of the changes to KSP. USI explorer and Orbital Tug and others.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.