[1.3.X] Duna Restoration Project v2.0

Whirligig Girl

DUNA RESTORATION PROJECT

Back in 0.17, Duna was first added. It was a gorgeous planet. It had low scale details and high definition, and had a variety of different regions and appearance to its surface. You can see a video of operations on the surface of the old Duna here. An album of old Duna here. A picture showcasing the small scale detail here. A video showcasing the detail here.

But all of this changed in 0.21. If I recall correctly there was a small re-write of the terrain system, and a few new PQSMods were added, and several planets were changed. For the most part, the change was good. Kerbin got the really cool K2 Mountain range east of KSC as well as plenty of other cool new features. Eve's large scale terrain looks much better. Moho and the other planets got terrain passes as well. But Duna got the short end of the stick due to a 20% finished remake. It became the ugly lumpy ball of noise and buldginess that we now know it to be. It looks incredibly samey across the entire planet, and the heightmap is nearly unrecognizable from the original version. Every time I look at the current stock Duna I weep for the planet that once was.

But now I shall cry tears of joy, for I have restored the beautiful 0.17-0.21 Duna that we used to know:

Dowload:

Installation Instructions:

• Install Kopernicus and Module Manager
  • Put the DunaRestorationProject folder into GameData

x4ruG14.png

RE8IkDl.png

81uBKHc.png

fhqxZzU.png

Features:

• Restoration of the appearance of Duna from 0.18-0.21.
  • Increased sunlight intensity to approximate Pre-0.21's sun. If you don't want it, remove the config in GameData/DunaRestorationProject/KopernicusFiles/SunlightBuff.cfg
  • Accurate heightmap, color map, and PQSMods and Material settings taken from KSP v0.19.
  • Interesting small scale detail.
  • A few flat low-lying maria.
  • Whatever this is.
  • Occasional sinkholes and craters.
  • Vaguely heart shaped maria eerily predicts the Sputnik Planum on Pluto.
  • Works only in 1.3.X or later. PM me if you want to use it for 1.2.X or earlier.

License:

• CC BY-NC-SA
Edited by GregroxMun

I got KSP at version 0.90 so I never saw this version of Duna (except in one very old video of a Constellation-inspired Duna mission). It looks incredible, thanks for making this mod to bring it back.

I think it's rather fitting for me to use a better looking Duna with my better-looking interplanetary transports in KSP 1.2.

Edited by eloquentJane

On 11/6/2016 at 7:06 PM, KerbalMan23 said:

Now we need 

Moho Restoration Project

maybe even

Tylo Restoration Project

If Tylo even changed at all.

Tylo and Moho both changed from v0.17 to v0.18, and then both just a little bit from v0.20 to v0.21. Both times their appearance was improved.

This was what Tylo looked like. It was comparative garbage. EDIT: The more I look at it, the more the color scheme grows on me. Garbage is a strong word.

rAt6Afb.png

VUh0z6x.png

FN8OPRD.png

Moho looked even more different.

mAmtP.jpg

But the problem with both of these worlds is that there is no PQSMod data from v0.17, nor the heightmaps and color maps required to reconstruct them.

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered brings back the color, atmopshere, and volcano of the old Moho though. It just uses otherwise stock heightmap.

Edited by GregroxMun

4 hours ago, AlexisBV said:

I hate to be the one to say this, but I think you forgot a NSFW tag there. #cannotunsee

On 11/12/2016 at 10:24 AM, GregroxMun said:

To all of those saying it's gorgeous unseeable, remember: I didn't make any of this, I merely found the pieces and brought them back together. It's almost entirely NovaSilisko's fault.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ah, this is great.

I always did wonder what happened to the ridges and plateaus I remembered navigating in the DEMV mods (someone needs to resurrect those, BTW).

One question: if this changes the height map, how does this handle Easter Egg positioning?  Quite a few were buried by the 0.21 changes and have since been restored by the 1.2 release.

Does this mod reposition them to their original pre-1.2 state?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.