[1.2.1] More Heat!

Benji13

More Heat!

For when your engines just aren't quite hot enough!

pObmQhA.png

More Heat! makes your engines 250% hotter! That's 2.5x! That' a fair bit! You know, 'cos you want the game to be harder. More Heat! is very simple (basically just a Module Manager patch) that makes your engines hotter while they are running. For realism and stuff. If 250% is too much (or not enough!) for you, then you can just change the amount in the MM patch. Because it is so simple, More Heat! doesn't have a license. Or If you really want one, the Unlicense. Do whatever you want with it, I don't care. Although letting me know what you're planning would be nice :). If you find any bugs or have any suggestions please let me know. Enjoy!

Download:

Spacedock                Curse Forge

Source:

Github

Changelog:

1.0.2.1 (there was a ninja update I didn't tell you about) - Fixed MM patch

1.0.1 - Fixed MM errors. Works with old and new engine modules. Updated to latest Module Manager.

1.0 - Initial Release

Issues:

- None known. Please report them if you find any.

Edited by Benji13

8 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Two things:

• Latest module manager is 2.7.3
  • Your patch only targets ModuleEnginesFX and misses the older ModuleEngines. A simple ModuleEngines* would hit both.

:)

Thanks, didn't realise there was a new module manager. I'll change the cfg tomorrow. It's a bit late here. 

1 minute ago, Benji13 said:

Thanks, didn't realise there was a new module manager. I'll change the cfg tomorrow. It's a bit late here. 

out of curiosity, what led you to making this mod? I could see a general heat increase mod like Deadly Reentry, but this seems pretty niche. Not knocking it, mind you, just...curious.:)

4 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

out of curiosity, what led you to making this mod? I could see a general heat increase mod like Deadly Reentry, but this seems pretty niche. Not knocking it, mind you, just...curious.:)

Well every now and then I see an old post about engines over heating and the game being harder because of it. Then I downloaded Near Future Radiators and realised how much I don't need them. I decided that the stock engines don't make enough heat to warrant radiators or actually being careful with burns so I made a patch for myself. Then I decided to post it here in case someone else wanted the same thing. 

Edited by Benji13

that actually makes a fair bit of sense. Although, have you tried Kerbal Atomics or AtomicAge? I just updated AA, and in my tests I definitely needed radiators, but yeah I agree with you (that's why I played with Deadly Reentry).

Alternative approach would be to tweak the other thermal values (maxTemp, heatConductivity, etc), but your method is probably the easiest.

Cheers.

DLed.  I kinda want engines hotter too.  In the stock career you get radiators very early, and no use for them until literally the end of the tech tree.  Doesn't make sense.

P.S. - on startup, Module Manager puts up a warning "found 18 errors related to MoreHeat!" or something like that

Edited by fourfa

4 hours ago, fourfa said:

P.S. - on startup, Module Manager puts up a warning "found 18 errors related to MoreHeat!" or something like that

Probably has something to do with new vs old engine modules. Will be fixed soon. 

2 hours ago, Quodios Kerman said:

Can you also add nerfing solar panels? KSP's solar panels are too overpowered, and nerfing them will make fuel cells much more attractive.

Also, you might increase heat generation from ISRU and drills.

Sure! I'm just doing some other stuff on my other mod but when that's done I'll make some more modlets. I definitely agree with the solar panel one. 

16 minutes ago, Quodios Kerman said:

Are there any other features you planning on?

On this or Structural Disks? On this I will probably turn this thread into a 'modlets' thread and make the More Heat modlet multiply the drill/ISRU heat as well. Then I will make a patch that nerfs solar panels. On SD I am going to be adding more shapes. 

Update

• Updated to Module Manager 2.7.3
  • Stopped errors from happening (hopefully)
  • Works with old and new engine modules now

I will upload another update soonish that will target drill/ISRU parts as well, it just takes a bit longer as those parts manage heat weirdly.

Edited by Benji13

35 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Update

• Updated to Module Manager 2.7.3
  • Stopped errors from happening (hopefully)
  • Works with old and new engine modules now

I will upload another update soonish that will target drill/ISRU parts as well, it just takes a bit longer as those parts manage heat weirdly.

Thanks for the update - I was wondering about that. Unfortunately testing in an otherwise Stock install (plus MM) still getting lots of errors during loading. Here's the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67267813/KSP.log

EDIT:  Actually, you just left an extra ] in the config file. Also there's a separate MacOS directory in your zip unless that was intentional.

Edited by ZeroReactivity

18 minutes ago, ZeroReactivity said:

Thanks for the update - I was wondering about that. Unfortunately testing in an otherwise Stock install (plus MM) still getting lots of errors during loading. Here's the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67267813/KSP.log

EDIT:  Actually, you just left an extra ] in the config file. Also there's a separate MacOS directory in your zip unless that was intentional.

Thanks for the info. And no, the MacOS directory is not supposed to be there. *sigh* I hate macs...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.