[1.2.2] SSTU Expansion Pack (31/12/2016)

JoseEduardo

aknZf02.png

This pack is an optional add-on for the SSTU mod (here) that adds SSTU functionality to some third party mods, a M-1 engine (modified J-2 model) and a Skylab station core (these last two only needs SSTU).

This only includes config files, no other assets are included yet.
The mod packs modified by this pack are optional, the only dependency is SSTU itself.

Here's a list of what's included from each mod listed:

SSTU: Skylab-alike Station core, second Apollo SM variant with swap-able solar panels and M-1, F-1A, HG-3 and J-2S engines
BDB: Saturn, Atlas, Centaur, Redstone, Juno, Jupiter and Titan fuel tanks, engine mounts and interstage adapters, clustering for Saturn and Centaur engines, and a 5 seat Apollo CM variant using the included internal.
CxAerospace: Station endcap for tanks and stations.
Bobcat Ind. Soviet Engines: Clustering for NK33, NK43, RD0120, RD0146, RD171, RD180 and RD191.
SDHI Service Module: Service Module for SSTU Apollo and Orion.
KOSMOS: TKS Station core (rescaled VA not yet included) and TKS/Salyut 4/6 and 7 Solar Panels for SSTU DOS-based modules (includes Tantares).
Tantares: TKS, Salyut and Mir Station cores.
Stock: Clustering for all stacking Engines. (broken, will be brought back)

Dependencies:
SSTU
Module Manager (comes with SSTU)

None are included with this pack and must be downloaded separately.

Recommended/Supported:
Stock
Bobcat Ind. Soviet Engines
Bluedog Design Bureau
SDHI Service Module
CxAerospace
KOSMOS
Tantares

SpaceDock Download
GitHub Repo
GitHub Release

Example albums:
http://imgur.com/a/xt4ja
http://imgur.com/a/FXPCs (station not included)
http://imgur.com/a/4xbs7 (station not included)

Changelog:

Spoiler

31/12/2016 - V1.2.1:
- Remembered that the stock engine patches weren't ready yet, so took them out.

31/12/2016 - v1.2:
- Added optional SSTU Textures back.
- Added new textures for the MFT, R-7, Soyuz and Orion parts. (some are still WIP)
- Added a new 64% scale Orion spacecraft. (it is at 3.125m)
- Added the RD-108 and RD-107 mounts as options for the MFT and MUS. (god knows why)
- Added a scaleable IU part using BDB IUs.
- Added scaleable interstage using BDB interstages (be careful, some of them are behaving oddly and I don't know why), includes Atlas drop-stage.
- Added new BDB tanks. (Redstone, Jupiter and Titan)
- Added new docking-port-less Soyuz, Apollo and Orion. (craft-breaking for those who used one of the previous options with docking ports, but does not affect those who only used the original SSTU pods, which are unaltered)
- Added a DIRECT 2-engine layout. (should be temporary)

07/11/2016 - v1.1: Fixed the additional SSTU-only Service Module needing SDHI, added clustering for BDB's F-1, J-2, J-2T, RL10, H1C and H1D engines, added cloned J-2T-200K and 250K to match the standard SSTU 64% scale, and also added J-2S and F-1A versions as well for the SSTU engines.

07/11/2016 - v1.0: Initial release.

Special Thanks to:
@Shadowmage - For making SSTU and helping me out while doing this pack (and for being patient while I bugged him about a ton of stuff and not telling me to go do a certain thing myself)
@CobaltWolf @VenomousRequiem and @Jso - For making BDB
@Beale - For making Tantares and helping me out with matching colors for the Tantares-alike repaint
@cxg2827 - For making CxAerospace
@CardBoardBoxProcessor - For making KOSMOS
@sumghai - For making SDHI
@BobCat - For his Engines
@Pak and @CobaltWolf - For helping me out on making the Orion repaint and sharing some of their assets.

Q&A:
Q: Do I really need SSTU to use this?
A: I guess the name of the pack has something to do with that mod... but that's just a wild guess of course.

Q: Now seriously, why do I need SSTU?
A: To have access to the engines, tanks, one-part station cores and solar panels, and the most important of all, the plugin.

Q: Do I need the other mods?
A: No, they are optional, but you'll get more stuff if you do add them.

Q: In one of your albums the Skylab has Raidernick's parasol panel, is it included?
A: The panel itself, no, a node in certain top options to attach it, yes. I added said node just in case people wanted to use his parasol panel, but that is completely optional.

Q: If I make a really cool endcap/station, can you include it?
A: Sure, just send me the .craft file and the mods included. But be sure to not include anything with any module (animation, lab, solar panels, etc...) as an endcap option as these are not supported. Modules in a station core is ok.

Q: Why isn't the Tantares VA decoupler an option?
A: Because SSTU doesn't support modules in a specific endcap and have it switchable, hence why KOSMOS has a separate part with the VA adapter, there's no option with extra solar panels like Spektr, and BDB's interstages doesn't have the solid rockets working.

Q: Speaking of BDB, why the BDB tanks have decouplers?
A: Because otherwise the interstage adapters would be mostly useless.

Q: And why didn't you include a decoupler module to the original SSTU tanks?
A: To not mess with the original SSTU tanks. There is a work-around if you want to use BDB interstages in SSTU tanks, just place a procedural decoupler on top of the BDB interstage.

Q: Can the interstage be split in two, like the real Saturn S-IC/S-II decoupler?
A: Only if you use a separate part to decouple from both interstage ends, if you use them as an endcap option it won't work.

Q: Why does the BDB mounts have only one node and some two?
A: Because that's how the clustered engines work, they only use one node. As for the second node, that is present only on upper stage mounts, they have been added to attach interstages.

Q: Yeah, but the BDB engines aren't compatible with them this way.
A: They will be added in a future update, for now use SSTU engines or those included here.

Q: I remember you had a SM with NearFutureSolar Circular panel and I can't see it, where is it?
A: I had to remove it due to a sun-tracking bug in some of the NearFuture panels, the circular one included, once I manage to fix them they will be added back.

Q: Why didn't you add Tantares solar panels?
A: I tried, but for some reason they always made the parts using them invisible, so I was forced to remove them.

Q: Did you copy this OP from your Nova Thread?
A: I have no idea what you're talking about. *runs away*

Edited by JoseEduardo

I'm not comfortable in doing that as I consider this spamming :P

but I wouldn't mind if someone else mentioned though...

I only mentioned in the SSTU thread because I was posting about these there already and @Shadowmage already knew I was working on this :)

which reminds me, I forgot to add a special thanks thingy....

there's three new SM, one which is basically the SSTU-SC-B-SM with solar panels (should be in the same category as the original one) and two made using the SDHI service module (hence why it requires SDHI), should be either on tanks or engines as I forgot to change from the Propulsion category.... (thanks for pointing this out, will be available in the next update)

if you search for SSTU SC SM they should appear, they don't have engines though, so that's probably why it isn't showing up in the engine tab

48 minutes ago, JoseEduardo said:

there's three new SM, one which is basically the SSTU-SC-B-SM with solar panels (should be in the same category as the original one) and two made using the SDHI service module (hence why it requires SDHI), should be either on tanks or engines as I forgot to change from the Propulsion category.... (thanks for pointing this out, will be available in the next update)

if you search for SSTU SC SM they should appear, they don't have engines though, so that's probably why it isn't showing up in the engine tab

That search does not show anything other than standard SSTU parts.

The SM part under the SSTU directory has "PART:NEEDS[SDHI]" at the top, is this an issue, or do all the SMs require SDHI?

I'm trying to minimize part clutter, and SDHI is basically an Orion mod, right? I have all the Orion I need in SSTU, frankly.

11 minutes ago, tater said:

The SM part under the SSTU directory has "PART:NEEDS[SDHI]" at the top, is this an issue, or do all the SMs require SDHI?

I'm trying to minimize part clutter, and SDHI is basically an Orion mod, right? I have all the Orion I need in SSTU, frankly.

oh.... I didn't see that one... fixed now, you can safely remove that :NEEDS

why was that in there is the one million dollar question...

Updated to 1.1, new version is already up at Spacedock

07/11/2016 - v1.1: Fixed the additional SSTU-only Service Module needing SDHI, added clustering for BDB's F-1, J-2, J-2T, RL10, H1C and H1D engines, added cloned J-2T-200K and 250K to match the standard SSTU 64% scale, and also added J-2S and F-1A versions as well for the SSTU engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the config for the dome engine mount I mentioned in the SSTU thread.

Spoiler

+SSTU_MODEL[MUS-Upper-Dome]:FOR[SSTU-Expansion]
{
	@name = Mount-Dome
	@invertForBottom = true
	node = 0, -1.15, 0, 0, -1, 0, 2
	rcsVerticalPosition = -0.45
	rcsHorizontalPosition = 2.03
	rcsVerticalRotation = 0
	rcsHorizontalRotation = 0
}

@PART[SSTU-SC-TANK-MUS-CB|SSTU-SC-TANK-MUS-ST]:FOR[SSTU-Expansion]
{
	@MODULE[SSTUCustomUpperStage]
	{
		MOUNT
		{
			name = Mount-Dome
		}
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

uploaded the pack to github (but no release available for download there yet, you can get it from the master though) so I can at least have the unreleased changes to the pack at least added somewhere and allow those who wish to contribute to the pack to do so through Github

the link is in the OP

also, keep in mind that by downloading from the github repo, you'll be downloading an experimental unfinished version, especially in regards to the new textures

Edited by JoseEduardo

• 5 weeks later...

Version 1.2 is up on Spacedock and Github

https://github.com/FFCJoseEduardo/SSTU-Expansion/releases/tag/1.2.1
http://spacedock.info/mod/1044/SSTU Expansion Pack

Changelog:

Spoiler

- Added optional SSTU Textures back
- Added new textures for the MFT, R-7, Soyuz and Orion parts (some are still WIP)
- Added a new 64% scale Orion spacecraft (it is at 3.125m)
- Added the RD-108 and RD-107 mounts as options for the MFT and MUS (god knows why)
- Added a scaleable IU part using BDB IUs
- Added scaleable interstage using BDB interstages (be careful, some of them are behaving oddly and I don't know why), includes Atlas drop-stage
- Added new BDB tanks (Redstone, Jupiter and Titan)
- Added new docking-port-less Soyuz, Apollo and Orion (craft-breaking for those who used one of the previous options with docking ports, but does not affect those who only used the original SSTU pods, which are unaltered)
- Added a DIRECT 2-engine layout (should be temporary)

EDIT: also, picture because reasons:
uyeUCY8.png

EDIT 2: removed stock engine clustering as this wasn't ready yet.

Edited by JoseEduardo

• 1 month later...

Heya man!  Just came back to KSP after a bit away and started using this piece - Nice Work! I love it since I use BDB and SSTU side-by-side as my only two significant part mods...

Had a quick question/suggestion...any way that you can implement limitations on the availability of tanks/engines according to when the corresponding part or tech node is unlocked?  For sandbox, the unlimited method is perfect and works our wonderfully, but in career having every single engine and tank you've added available for use by spending 5 science and 16,000 in funds is way, way to tempting but really mostly just breaks immersion.  It's not a necessity by any means either way but I think it would help improve this mod considerably.  For that matter, if you could find a way to bring the SSTU level unlock capability to this and the Nova add-on it would really make them a lot more interesting to use in career games.  Just a thought...

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! :) there are more coming btw

about the meshes being limited by technode, I did try, but unfortunately it isn't possible to do that as of now, me, @minepagan and @IronCretin thought of doing that on CWP but unfortunately the module doesn't allow that for now :(

however, diameter limits should be working just as they do with regular SSTU-MFT

as for engines, the tech nodes for these are kept unchanged, idk why they are showing up at the start node for you :huh:

unless you are referring to engine clusters, which would fall under the case above :/

Edited by JoseEduardo

I actually figured out where my issue came in at.  I use a customized CTT patch for BDB parts normally and I never made any changes to it for your's being added.  That made all the engines default to their old BDB nodes which for my games, is WAY early.  I can address that bit myself.  As to the other it regards specifically the tanks more than anything so it's far less of a problem.  In that, opening the BDB expansion tank gives access to things like the SIVB block but since there aren't any engines with enough oomph to push 'em they really don't get get exploited until the 1.875m level anyway.  No worries anyway like I said.  It's a temptation but limitations have always left some of them floating around for us career players. :D 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm getting odd behavior from this mod with regard to its effects on Real Engines mod. There seems to be some unwanted resizing going on?
Here are the engines without SSTU expansion, below we have from left to right: NK9, NK9V, NK33, NK43. (pod is SSTU Orion)

5mEjbxL.jpg

And here we have the engines after SSTU expansion, same lineup.
CtPOvt3.jpg

the NK9's became huge! What's going on here? I also saw that the NK33's mass was ~0.6 when it should be ~1.4.

latest release got screwed up royally with the 1.3 update, I'm working on updating it, but I basically need to start from scratch, checking file per file

as for the engine size, something is probably triggering the RO patches and rescaling them

Edited by JoseEduardo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.