[1.12.x] Sensible Pumps -- solving an annoying problem of range safety

linuxgurugamer

yeap silly question :) , right now i'am trying to create MM patch to see if i can pinpoint the problem,will let you know in a bit....

ok i think i found the problem

in squad folder some parts have "ModuleEngines" and some have "ModuleEnginesFX" but not both in the same cfg

and in KWRocketry there is only "ModuleEnginesFX" so this must be the problem,right?

sensiblepumps only accounts for ModuleEngines and not the FX bit,at least that's my logic....

Edited by dtoxic

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ill take a look, thanks for doing the legwork.

np man, anyway just a thought, Boosters also use ModuleEnginesFX sooo....if you plan on adding that we need a way to exclude boosters...

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just checked the code, it does check both.

Until I get home, I can't test, but I'll test this afternoon if I get some time

hmmm wierd...will do some more testing then... let me know if you find something

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.2.4:

• Fixed MM script to add this to engines with ModuleEngines FX
  • Added code to exclude solid rocket motors

Thanks to @dtoxic for bringing this to my attention

damn you are fast :D and here i am still scratching my head trying to figure out the MM :D

anyway can confirm the engines now have the option sensiblepumps, but so do boosters hahahaha :D

guess i have a nack for finding tiny faults :D

https://imgur.com/a/8Oqoj

Edited by dtoxic

5 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

damn you are fast :D and here i am still scratching my head trying to figure out the MM :D

anyway can confirm the engines now have the option sensiblepumps, but so do boosters hahahaha :D

guess i have a nack for finding tiny faults :D

https://imgur.com/a/8Oqoj

Boosters have it, but it's not doing anything

For now, that's the best that I can do, not that much time right now

Edit:

Oh, it's a 2 line change, testing it now

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Boosters have it, but it's not doing anything

For now, that's the best that I can do, not that much time right now

ahhh ok, i didn't  check it in game, i just assumed it's an error, ok then sorry for my mistake! :)

No problem.

New release, 1.2.4.1:

• Disabled module when SRB is detected

right on! thx and sorry to keep finding trivial mistakes :D hahaha now on to other plugins you messed up :D (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This wasn't a messup, it was an old bug from before I took it over.

So far, I've only made one mistake, on KRASH (fixed)

so it;s confirmed then? maintaining gazillion mods + 1 mistake you must be a robot :D

3 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

so it;s confirmed then? maintaining gazillion mods + 1 mistake you must be a robot :D

No, just have a process and most of the mods fit in the process, so it's fairly easy (for me, at least)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@linuxgurugamer Still works in 1.4.1 so low priority for a recompile. I use it all the time for recoverable stages.

One thing that's bugged me about it since before you adopted it was the lower case "on" and "off" in the VAB. I grabbed the source from Github and it looks like it's a simple fix. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience creating PR's, and there's no issue tracker for this. So I'm posting it here. Thanks!

Edited by leatherneck6017

7 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer Still works in 1.4.1 so low priority for a recompile. I use it all the time for recoverable stages.

One thing that's bugged me about it since before you adopted it was the lower case "on" and "off" in the VAB. I grabbed the source from Github and it looks like it's a simple fix. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience creating PR's, and there's no issue tracker for this. So I'm posting it here. Thanks!

Given that you reported a low-priority bug, I'll add it and probably get it updated for 1.4.1 this evening.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer Is there any reason that you can think of that this wouldn't work on an Modular Rocket System engine? Sensible Pumps is enabled in the VAB, but it fails to shut off the engine after stage separation. This is in 1.4.2, BTW.

Not off the top of my head, but I'd have to look at the engine to see what it is using.  If it is using something other than ModuleEngines or ModuleEnginesFX, it won't work right now.

Which engine in MRS?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

57 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Which engine in MRS?

NB3mQuadEngine (3.75m Quad Cluster). It does have ModuleEnginesFX. I checked the log, and MM did apply the patch to that engine. Very strange. I'll test more later, this was my first play on 1.4.2.

Edit: @linuxgurugamer Just tested the same engine in my bare bones "test" version and it functioned normally. Another mod could be interfering. More testing is in order.

Edited by leatherneck6017
update

@linuxgurugamer OK so now it seems that the actual problem is this: any jettisoned stage that has something (probe, etc) on it to control it (required for Stage Recovery) after stage separation prevents Sensible Pumps from functioning. Well, it actually may function (I think I see the engine shut down for a split second) but because the separated stage has control, it just kicks the engine back up to full throttle. Hope this makes sense the way I laid it out.

5 hours ago, leatherneck6017 said:

@linuxgurugamer OK so now it seems that the actual problem is this: any jettisoned stage that has something (probe, etc) on it to control it (required for Stage Recovery) after stage separation prevents Sensible Pumps from functioning. Well, it actually may function (I think I see the engine shut down for a split second) but because the separated stage has control, it just kicks the engine back up to full throttle. Hope this makes sense the way I laid it out.

Interesting.   Must be something new, I'll see what I can do

But Stage Recovery does not require anything on it for recovery, unless that is a new requirement.

Looking at the code:

// Number of parts changed, so, let's go to work.
                    // If we're part of a debris object, shutdown all engines.
                    if (!vessel.isCommandable && !isSRB)

which means that if there is a probe core or something else on it, it won't work,  And this is expected behaviour.

Think about it:  If it is commandable, how can the mod tell  if the jettisoned parts are a new ship or not

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.