A request for LifeSupport standardisation

TheCardinal

Currently several lifesupport mods exist which is great. The user can choose by himself/herself whatever lifesupport mod most coïncides with his/her wishes.

What is not so great is that every LS mod uses it's own resources. Take Food. In another mod it's called KolonySupplies, in a third N.O.M.S.

My request to all LFS developers is to standardise resource names so parts of different mods can become interchangable.

17 minutes ago, TheCardinal said:

Currently several lifesupport mods exist which is great. The user can choose by himself/herself whatever lifesupport mod most coïncides with his/her wishes.

What is not so great is that every LS mod uses it's own resources. Take Food. In another mod it's called KolonySupplies, in a third N.O.M.S.

My request to all LFS developers is to standardise resource names so parts of different mods can become interchangable.

Isn't that what community resources is for?

standards.png

Standardization is good. But only if everybody cooperates.
Best, and most effective way to standardize life support standard is for Squad to introduce life support.

Edited by Tex_NL

A big problem there is that standardizing on certain resources also means standardizing on how the life support mod works from a mechanical standpoint.

Let's say that Community Resource Pack included defined resources for water, food, oxygen, etc. for everyone to use. What follows is that everyone who wants to make use of the standardized resources must automatically commit to modeling them. Something like USI Life Support, which says "the Supplies resource is a mixture of all relevant things", can no longer exist inside this standard.

And then you have a bunch of life support mods by different people that all look, feel and play exactly the same. Because if they don't, then people come out of the woodwork calling "they use the same resources, why the heck do they have different consumption rates or ways to recycle them? Standardize already!" :P

You say having different mods is great, but your suggestion effectively removes that diversity.

Edited by Streetwind

btw other games (minecraft looking at you) have "solved" this by introducing "glue mods" - mods that glue different systems together and allow conversion. (Looking at redstone flux and minecraft joule for example). 

One could try to work this out for ksp? Make a mod that "understands" many other mods and then allow automatic conversion between the resources as a specified rate.  I think this would a good idea.

@paul23 That isn't even needed though.  For the OP's request, namely

That can already be done with the magic of module manager.  It isn't even hard to learn how to do MM configs.  There is no need for each life support mod to standardize names.  It already happens with a number of mods so that they can support multiple life support options.

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

@paul23 That isn't even needed though.  For the OP's request, namely

That can already be done with the magic of module manager.  It isn't even hard to learn how to do MM configs.  There is no need for each life support mod to standardize names.  It already happens with a number of mods so that they can support multiple life support options.

That's what Mother does :wink:

Judging by the comments so far, there seems to be a standard: Not wanting standards. :D

Of course MM (or plain cfg editing) can be used to modify mods to one's own liking. And i did think of the possibility to create converters to convert one resource into another. Yesterday, it seemed like a better idea to request standardisation of resourcenames. Food is food, isn't it. Calling it NOMS or KolonySupplies seems foolish.

After reflecting on the replies to the request, i must admit that the request is nothing more than a brainfart because i didn't think things through sufficiently. As @Streetwind has pointed out, It would mean that the different LFS mod would have to work the same. My apologies for my impulsive request.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.