Erebus: Tylo capable VSSTE Dropship

C8ICHif.png

gADZwV3.png

JZrVkmK.png

FkIpIbq.jpg

lJYkQMR.png

Although the Fierbird proved more than enough for transporting cargoes to the surface of Duna or other low-gravity celestial bodies, it was not practical for tougher missions such as putting base modules onto Tylo or Laythe or carrying heavy payloads between planets. The Erebus was designed to do both of those things and then some. 

Downloadhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/vmolbswndjkdlry/Erebus.craft?dl=0 (comes with mining/processing module in the cargo bay)

Features

• VTOL capability: The Erebus has three Vectors and two Thuds on the bottom, which allow it to vertically take off and land with full fuel and 18.5+ tons of cargo on Laythe. 
  • Horizontal flight capability: Twice as much thrust as in VTOL mode for the same Delta V and better stability. However, this mode is not good for landing.
  • SSTO capability: Although in some cases it will need to be refueled after getting to orbit, the Erebus can take land on and SSTO from every celestial body except for Eve and Jool when equipped with a mining/processing module.
  • Interplanetary travel capability: With roughly 3500 Delta V when fully fueled, the Erebus can travel between planets and still have more than enough fuel to land.
  • Hidden top docking port
  • Passenger capacity: The Erebus has space for two pilots and eight passengers, not including any you may stuff into the cargo bay.
  • Aerodynamic VTOL thrusteres: When the VTOL thrusters are not being used, the cargo bays they are placed in can be closed to make the Erebus more aerodynamic.

Action groups:

1. Toggles the cargo bays that the VTOL engines are in. When they are closed it cannot VTOL but is more aerodynamic 
  2. Toggles VTOL engines
  3. Toggles horizontal flight engines, including the bottom ones.
  4. Toggles bottom horizontal flight engines, but not the top ones. This is useful for pitching up quickly on liftoff.
  5. Toggles fuel cells
  6. Toggles radiators on the mining module

Notes:

When going fast through atmospheres in VTOL mode it can sometimes have control issues. The vectors can be used to stabilize it when this happens.

Be careful with ramping up the thrust quickly in VTOL mode, Sometimes going to maximum power too quickly can cause the front wing and VTOL engine to go flying off, crippling the ship.

Make sure not to run out of fuel! When the tanks are completely empty, the Erebus is not only stranded, but also without power and RCS.

xejSct0.jpg

Edited by Dreadthrone

Success!

ABiAgqM.png

hpkGVyr.png

As you might be able to see, I replaced the Terriers and Aerospikes previously used for horizontal flight with six Vectors. It's lost about 800 delta V, but the insane TWR it gets now is more than enough to get it into Laythe  --and possibly even Kerbin-- orbit from sea level. 

I'm going to polish it up and test it a bit more, then post the final version here. I believe there's a good chance this could become a VTOL single stage to everywhere.

Edited by Dreadthrone

Another success! 

xejSct0.jpg

F0h2WMR.png

It is now a VTOL SSTO, unless you count the launch clamps :sticktongue: Now I just need to refuel it and give it a mining/processing module, then it should be a true VTOL SSTE.

Although it only gets into orbit with a mere 60 Delta V left in the tanks, refueling it will still be much cheaper than that launcher was.

I've also done loads of smaller changes and fixes, which have increased the Delta V when in VTOL mode by about 2000 and increased the TWR so it can VTOL with a full tank of fuel and 6% of it's weight in cargo (about 18.5 tons) on Laythe. 

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

That is a mighty impressive accomplishment man! That launcher is extraordinary!

Thanks a lot :D 

Although the Erebus itself no longer needs the launcher, a heavily modified variant  will live on as a large re-usable lifter.

Most organic looking piece of Kerbal tech i`ve seen a long time in this forum, very cool vessel.
I was myself fiddling around with such kind of vertical/ horizontal propelled ships but i never posted one here,... they were really ugly and didn`t work as good as i wished. :rolleyes:

IT IS COMPLETE!

After going through the hell that was refueling this thing in orbit (and coming up with an interesting design for a reusable refueler in the process, which I will post later), I have finally been able to conclusively test the Erebus and make sure it is actually SSTE capable. The OP has been updated with new pictures, stats and the download for the latest version.

On 11/9/2016 at 10:04 AM, Mikki said:

Most organic looking piece of Kerbal tech i`ve seen a long time in this forum, very cool vessel.
I was myself fiddling around with such kind of vertical/ horizontal propelled ships but i never posted one here,... they were really ugly and didn`t work as good as i wished. :rolleyes:

Thanks :) The bi-couplers on the top do look a bit like muscles.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.