Screen goes black in VAB and SPH except for UI

Greetings,

I have a fresh install of 1.2.1 with no mods. When in the VAB and SPH, moving the camera low and looking up sometimes causes the screen to black out, with the UI still showing. Screenshot included. I have also seen it be black when I first enter the VAB, and then goes to normal once I click a root part.

I'm on Windows 7 x64, ATI FirePro graphics.

Thanks,

Jamie

miv5TzAdih8zlTkbX9IEa4ivA1korymYPfI_NC0p

Would my log files be helpful here? I am including them now.

ksp_log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uSG41CHwFuOVgzdTczeHVFVWs.

dxdiag: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uSG41CHwFuNm9xVFNuNTBKQVk

I have no output log file in either of the KSP_Data folders.

My buildID64.txt is:

build id = 01604
2016.11.01 at 19:25:37 CET
Branch: master

PC info:

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Xeon

16 GB RAM

2 x ATI FirePro V5700 Crossfire enabled

SoundMAX integrated audio

Jamie

Edited by doggonemess

11 minutes ago, doggonemess said:

Would my log file be helpful here?

Jamie

Hi Jamie, yes it might, can you please upload the output_log.txt from KSP_Data and your dxdiag hardware report for us, dropbox.com can handle the files.

I have an update! I can make the problem go away by turning off antialiasing. I saw this on my other computer, so it's not a hardware issue, as my other computer is completely different. I'm going to try turning off antialiasing on the other computer and let you know how it works.

10 hours ago, doggonemess said:

I have an update! I can make the problem go away by turning off antialiasing. I saw this on my other computer, so it's not a hardware issue, as my other computer is completely different. I'm going to try turning off antialiasing on the other computer and let you know how it works.

Well, a quick question, are both videocard from AMD? From both computers. AMD seems to mess a lott more with games (not just ksp) comparing to nvidea. Here are a few links with the same problem as yours, other games. Most of the black screen problems are caused when there's a AMD in the rig. 

http://forums.euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=58884

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/17605701608

http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/846938350989561609

Most of the time, they say it can be fixed by turning of you SSMA, shadows and/or AA.
So it's quite a memory issue, Try monitoring your task manager to see where your memory goes. If you have a peak when AA enabled and it is stable and not full when AA disabled. You know the problem. 

Also, are your drivers up to date?
And the videocard is quite old I quess? If my research is right, the ATI FirePro V5700 was released the 8th of August 2008.

Futhermore, I've seen some AMD fixes for the black screens, but use at own risk. And again, we still don't know if both of your computers have AMD so it could be something totally different. 

So it all depens on the information we'll get from your other computer. 

Thanks for this great response, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure if my other machine is AMD, I forget. I think that it might be.

I'll check out that fix and see if I want to go that route. I grew up playing games with CGA and EGA graphics, so anti aliasing isn't such a big deal for me. I don't mind the pixels so much. :)

Incidentally, there is a bug in Unity 5.4.0 that causes the log to be written into your user profile AppData folder in some circumstances.  Hit Windows-R (i.e. hold the windows key down and hit R) and then copy paste the whole of the following line into it (including the quotes) and hit OK.

"%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program"

You may well find the output_log.txt file in there...

Edit: any chance we can get this added to the sticky threads...?

Edited by Padishar

It's already there.

Missing background in the editors, missing ground in the flight scene, editor issue found by hawkinator.

The editor background and the ground in the flight scene can be missing on some AMD graphics cards/drivers.

Workaround.

Disable PPFX edge highlighting in the settings screen, graphics tab.

I forgot it, but I'll add that anti aliasing can do this as well.

@doggonemess, does the background work for you if anti aliasing is on but part highlighting is off?

I'll try AA on and part highlighting off.

Which Rendering option is it under Graphics? Is it Highlight FX? 

EDIT: I can't turn Highlight FX off! Why might that be?

Also, I do have an AMD card on my other machine.

Jamie

Edited by doggonemess

10 hours ago, doggonemess said:

I'll try AA on and part highlighting off.

Which Rendering option is it under Graphics? Is it Highlight FX? 

EDIT: I can't turn Highlight FX off! Why might that be?

Also, I do have an AMD card on my other machine.

Jamie

Parthighlighting needs AA enabled to turned on/off. When disabling AA it get's disabled with it. 

So try to enable AA first, after that, disable Highlight FX too.

And about the AMD, thats what I thought, aren't there new drivers for the cards?

Edited by DrLicor

• 4 months later...

i just want to tell you all that this thread saved my bacon. i'm setting up a youtube series of KSP, and this glitch was the scourge of my recordings. after numberous fruitless searches, i found this thread. the game is loading right now. i will fix my game, finally! also, the glitch does not happen in flight if i'm using one of the stock command pods, and not a probecore.

i am now  naming a probe in all of your honor

Edited by Oxygentlemen

1 hour ago, Oxygentlemen said:

i just want to tell you all that this thread saved my bacon. i'm setting up a youtube series of KSP, and this glitch was the scourge of my recordings. after numberous fruitless searches, i found this thread. the game is loading right now. i will fix my game, finally! also, the glitch does not happen in flight if i'm using one of the stock command pods, and not a probecore.

i am now  naming a probe in all of your honor

Awesome! I'm glad that I could contribute in a way.

Jamie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.